ADVERTISEMENT

Devan Van Ness

Chucksizzle1

HR All-State
Dec 17, 2022
PWO with the only offer Butler. LOL, I’ll bet any amount of money this kid turns out to be a stud player for Iowa.

Hes only 6-1 195 as OLb, put up monster numbers In large class illinois FB, first team all state, ridiculous stats tackles, TFL and sacks.

college scouts are ridiculous. What he’s 6-1 not 6-2 so he can’t be offered ?

Last edited:
I do have to ask.......have you guys ever watched videos of these high 5 and 4 star recruits that we don't have a prayer of landing.........and then watch video of guys like Van Ness, and compare "monsters"?
They seem to leave Iowa as 5 stars headed for the nfl at a higher rate than those guys we don’t have a prayer of landing.

I do have to ask.......have you guys ever watched videos of these high 5 and 4 star recruits that we don't have a prayer of landing.........and then watch video of guys like Van Ness, and compare "monsters"?
Iowa coaches definitely don’t know much about developing guys to the NFL, so if they think he’s worthy of a shot, I just won’t trust it.

PWO with the only offer Butler. LOL, I’ll bet any amount of money this kid turns out to be a stud player for Iowa.

Hes only 6-1 195 as OLb, put up monster numbers In large class illinois FB, first team all state, ridiculous stats tackles, TFL.

Agree, if one brother is a stud you rarely see that much drop off to another brother. He may not be as good as his brother, but he will be trying to prove to everyone that he’s better. Great motivation.

You make a good point. I wouldn't call the kid a monster, but I really like his motor.

He's a PWO, so needs more growth and development. The 4 and 5 star guys are easy to spot, and many of them have peaked early then level off.

This kid has a good frame and lineage. He may not be done growing in terms of height. Looks to have a lengthy build.

Recruiting is a funny business. I went through it way back when, and a couple of the most curious but understandable things coaches do is 1) meet your parents to see their size and 2) lock in on your hands when you have the initial greeting.

This helps them understand your potential from a size and growth perspective, i.e., how they can build you up.

It's not a proven science, and only one of many evaluation pieces, but it's pretty damn important when your dealing with the 2 & 3 stars.

I like this kid's film. The price is right. Let's see what he can do.

Here is a rule of thumb on recruiting. If a kid plays his Freshman year and then is in the NFL by the end of his true JR year he was drastically misranked. We have had a shit ton of those.

Another one….yes, if you can sign 10 plus 4 stars a year, then the stars add up and you have a greater chance of success. Unfortunately only a few can do these consistently.

But on a case by case basis it appears a savy “recruiter” is better at picking 4 star talent than the services.at least at some positions, like we are.

16 sacks, 30 TFL. if anyone thinks this kid is a low 2 star they are too stupid to watch and evaluate college players.

I honestly don’t know how anyone can accurately gauge the best 2500 players. Top 100ish sure….with some variance but you can’t tell me a 5.6 3-star who plays 3 sports in Iowa is automatically “less” than a 5.8 football only kid from Texas.

It would be one thing if they were truly better athletes but for people that follow the Draft, combines, & Pro Days like I do…..know Iowa fields a very fast active defense.

Josie Jewell is the slowest linebacker we have put in the NFL in a long time and he is still there!

Mid three star Jack Campbell ran a 4.58, three star, Luka Van Ness Ran a 4.58 and two star gray shirt, Riley, Moss, Ran a, 4.42….

Those are all top tier times & honestly just the tip of the iceberg!

Last edited:
Iowa coaches definitely don’t know much about developing guys to the NFL, so if they think he’s worthy of a shot, I just won’t trust it.

Uhi.gif

Reactions: hawkifann
The best part of him being ”short” is he will be less likely to be drafted on “potential” like his brother. Lukas left Iowa before his best football. His brother will have to produce to go to NFL, hopefully he can do it.

Hes only 6-1 195 as OLb, put up monster numbers In large class illinois FB, first team all state, ridiculous stats tackles, TFL and sacks.

I wouldn't bet against him. Iowa has a long tradition of finding under-recruited kids...... most recently Sam Laporta

LaPorta's college offer list (according to Rivals): Bowling Green, Yale, Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Northern Iowa, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, and Lindenwood - mid-majors. He just set an NFL rookie record for TEs.

I remember going to a Brandon Valley SD game years ago and coming away impressed with a skinny tooth pick WR named VandeBerg. He later accepted an Iowa PWO over a ride from South Dakota State, became a 3 year starter at Iowa. Nearly the same sceanrio with Seth Benson (Sioux Falls Washington) who started like 30 games and racked up ton of tackles at LB for the Hawks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT