ADVERTISEMENT

Development at Alabama vs Iowa

May 23, 2018
We have a battle on our hands trying to get Proctor to stay in state and become a Hawkeye. Alabama is in the picture and will make it more difficult. Kids have different goals and ideas for college and they can make their choices based on their own criteria. If an Offensive Lineman has an Iowa offer and a Bama offer, as much as I'd love to say differently, if their goal is to play for a National Championship, the choice is pretty clear. But if they want to be developed, and end up in the NFL, I would argue that the better path would be to become a Hawkeye.
Obviously both programs have top level coaching and have a history of putting guys in the league. But I believe that the overall level of skill on the game field and practice field at Alabama might actually HURT individual development.
If you are, as an example a Center and you are practicing or playing at Alabama, you are lined up next to at least a 4 star recruit on each side at guard. And not only a 4 star, but one that has survived in the Alabama program. On run plays, he is blocking for a 4 or 5 star talent playing running back. On pass plays, a 4 star quarterback is passing to 4 star receivers.
In the concept of the slight edge, if you have a slight edge at every position, you have a bunch of those slight edges adding up. So the stakes of your individual performance on any one rep aren't as dire. You don't have to hold your block as long on a pass play because the WR are getting open .2 seconds faster. On a run block, you don't need to drive them as far or hold the block as long, because the running back might hit the hole .1 second faster, or be able to shake off the tackler. Over the course of a career, that might lead you to be a little more lackadaisical in practice or a game, because your individual lapses are made up for by the overwhelming abundance of talent that is on your side and you never have to own up to and correct your mistakes. Your technique might get a little sloppy because your team is most likely going to win regardless, and you will probably have more talent than the guy across from you, and even if you don't, the rest of your team does. The overflow of talent at each position can fill in the gaps at other positions on individual plays.
At Iowa, you have to strive for perfection, because you are playing next to a 3 star on one side, and a former walkon on the other side. You're blocking for a very good back, but you had better hold your block as long a possible. Our receivers, while improved, are still not on the level of Alabama, and haven't gotten the separation necessary, or as quickly, so you better hold your block if you want success. The term "execution" is overused but so appropriate for this program. You need to do you job, to the best of your ability on every snap. The guy next to you has his hands full as well and the guy running behind you is an excellent, but not freak athlete. The talent gap is small, so a minor miscue might not be made up for by someone else. You need to have your best technique and execution on every play for us to succeed.
So if we can say, for argument's sake, that the Hawkeye and Bama coaches are equal as it relates to OL, playing at Iowa forces you to raise your game, and milk every ounce of talent out of yourself, which ultimately results in better "development."
So given a 4 or 5 star OL talent, they will most likely end up in the NFL by going to Alabama or Iowa. But maybe the fact that Iowa doesn't recruit like Alabama actually helps the people that choose that route, and why our last 2 4* OL recruits, Daniels and Wirfs were top draft picks. And low rated 3 stars played in the NFL: Boettger(5.5), Reynolds(5.4), Render(5.5), Jackson(5.5). And why highly rated kids coming out of high school that had considered the Hawkeyes, but decided on Bama, Cyrus Kouandjio(4th overall recruit in country) and Ross Pierschbacher(107th overall recruit) had great college careers, but have struggled in the NFL.

We have a battle on our hands trying to get Proctor to stay in state and become a Hawkeye. Alabama is in the picture and will make it more difficult. Kids have different goals and ideas for college and they can make their choices based on their own criteria. If an Offensive Lineman has an Iowa offer and a Bama offer, as much as I'd love to say differently, if their goal is to play for a National Championship, the choice is pretty clear. But if they want to be developed, and end up in the NFL, I would argue that the better path would be to become a Hawkeye.
Obviously both programs have top level coaching and have a history of putting guys in the league. But I believe that the overall level of skill on the game field and practice field at Alabama might actually HURT individual development.
If you are, as an example a Center and you are practicing or playing at Alabama, you are lined up next to at least a 4 star recruit on each side at guard. And not only a 4 star, but one that has survived in the Alabama program. On run plays, he is blocking for a 4 or 5 star talent playing running back. On pass plays, a 4 star quarterback is passing to 4 star receivers.
In the concept of the slight edge, if you have a slight edge at every position, you have a bunch of those slight edges adding up. So the stakes of your individual performance on any one rep aren't as dire. You don't have to hold your block as long on a pass play because the WR are getting open .2 seconds faster. On a run block, you don't need to drive them as far or hold the block as long, because the running back might hit the hole .1 second faster, or be able to shake off the tackler. Over the course of a career, that might lead you to be a little more lackadaisical in practice or a game, because your individual lapses are made up for by the overwhelming abundance of talent that is on your side and you never have to own up to and correct your mistakes. Your technique might get a little sloppy because your team is most likely going to win regardless, and you will probably have more talent than the guy across from you, and even if you don't, the rest of your team does. The overflow of talent at each position can fill in the gaps at other positions on individual plays.
At Iowa, you have to strive for perfection, because you are playing next to a 3 star on one side, and a former walkon on the other side. You're blocking for a very good back, but you had better hold your block as long a possible. Our receivers, while improved, are still not on the level of Alabama, and haven't gotten the separation necessary, or as quickly, so you better hold your block if you want success. The term "execution" is overused but so appropriate for this program. You need to do you job, to the best of your ability on every snap. The guy next to you has his hands full as well and the guy running behind you is an excellent, but not freak athlete. The talent gap is small, so a minor miscue might not be made up for by someone else. You need to have your best technique and execution on every play for us to succeed.
So if we can say, for argument's sake, that the Hawkeye and Bama coaches are equal as it relates to OL, playing at Iowa forces you to raise your game, and milk every ounce of talent out of yourself, which ultimately results in better "development."
So given a 4 or 5 star OL talent, they will most likely end up in the NFL by going to Alabama or Iowa. But maybe the fact that Iowa doesn't recruit like Alabama actually helps the people that choose that route, and why our last 2 4* OL recruits, Daniels and Wirfs were top draft picks. And low rated 3 stars played in the NFL: Boettger(5.5), Reynolds(5.4), Render(5.5), Jackson(5.5). And why highly rated kids coming out of high school that had considered the Hawkeyes, but decided on Bama, Cyrus Kouandjio(4th overall recruit in country) and Ross Pierschbacher(107th overall recruit) had great college careers, but have struggled in the NFL.
And it can be argued that while Bama puts a larger number of players in the NFL, they also have a very high washout rate.
Iowa players generally have a bit more staying power than Bama players do.

While the development into NFL argument might work against some schools, Alabama is by far and away the NFL factory when it comes to every position aside from TEs and QBs (until the past 2 years).

I would not fault Proctor for going to Bama at all. Steel sharpens steel. He might be behind another 5* for a year, but he'll be practicing against those guys and not some random walk-on from small town Iowa.

I'd love for him to choose Iowa, but let's not act like we're the mightiest NFL development program. Lots of kids would kill to be able to play for a national championship, and every single class of Saban's has. It's a bit ridiculous tbh.

While the development into NFL argument might work against some schools, Alabama is by far and away the NFL factory when it comes to every position aside from TEs and QBs (until the past 2 years).

I would not fault Proctor for going to Bama at all. Steel sharpens steel. He might be behind another 5* for a year, but he'll be practicing against those guys and not some random walk-on from small town Iowa.

I'd love for him to choose Iowa, but let's not act like we're the mightiest NFL development program. Lots of kids would kill to be able to play for a national championship, and every single class of Saban's has. It's a bit ridiculous tbh.
Sorry I think you meant every single class that Saban's had at Alabama. Before that not so much. Strange isn't it. prior to going to LSU he had one top 25 team in 6 years which was his last year at MI. ST. Perhaps it's the water in the SEC that made him a much better coach.

Yeah well he should choose Iowa so we can win a national championship, because f*** Alabama. That's why.........

A wall of text consists of many lines of text that resemble a wall. A wall of text can sometimes be really big or somewhat small. Most walls of text lack grammar so they are not as appealing to read while other walls of text do contain grammar so they are actually easy to read but not as long as if you were to put a bunch of random characters or words. A wall of text might be made out of word bricks which kind of makes sense if you think of each word as a brick but that would be a tall and narrow wall unless you expand it in which case it will be a large wall in general. Most places do not allow walls of text because they count as spam and could get you banned or kicked or muted and will prevent you from posting other walls of text. Some places allow walls of text but that would be weird and probably doesn't exist. If such a platform did exist for creating walls of text and publishing them for viewers then it is probably not popular otherwise I would have seen it by now. You should refrain from posting walls of text because of the reason I stated up there that said that you could get muted for spam and another reason being that it might get a lot of dislikes or even flagged for spam. If you get flagged for spam then you will no longer be able to post walls of text which is pretty reasonable but I think people should be able to express themselves but probably not through walls of text unless you want to. I have come across a few walls of text and some of them are funny but some of them are short and there are rarely any long walls of text. Maybe walls of text were created by early internet users to troll others but that would be extremely slow because you get like a byte per second download and like a bit per second upload or something like that idk I didn't live with dial up so i wouldn't know about the internet speeds but they are probably accurate even though i should fact check that. People who create walls of text probably have a lot of time on their hands or are really boring or both and they might have very long attentions spans or maybe they are entertained by creating a wall of text because it lets them be creative with what they say. My favorite wall of text is titled "regarding walls of text" and it is a fun read because it keeps the user engaged but I don't think it is a wall of text probably more like a narration or documentary through words. Though some walls of text are large, some can be small but equally as annoying. Sometimes small walls of text are considered copy pasta because you can copy it and paste it to insert a copy of that wall of text or copy pasta. Walls of text can also be copied and pasted but what normal person would copy it? That's like copying abnormal copy pasta in a formal setting. Just imagine Jim peaking at your screen that contains a copy pasta while you're supposed to be focusing on the meeting. How would he feel? How would you feel if the roles were switched? Those questions are of course rhetorical but it's good to consider them.

Reactions: Madman_1 and ChiDoc
Proctor on Twitter telling Iowa fans just because he lives in Iowa doesn’t mean he will go there. And that he’s sick of people comparing him to Wirfs. Scrolling through it doesn’t look like he’s meshing well with Iowa and honestly not a great look of maturing for the kid. That being said he’s 16 and has a lot of learning to do.

Proctor on Twitter telling Iowa fans just because he lives in Iowa doesn’t mean he will go there. And that he’s sick of people comparing him to Wirfs. Scrolling through it doesn’t look like he’s meshing well with Iowa and honestly not a great look of maturing for the kid. That being said he’s 16 and has a lot of learning to do.
Also I’m sure Alabama is chirping in his ear about the Wirfs thing.

But I believe that the overall level of skill on the game field and practice field at Alabama might actually HURT individual development.

At Iowa, you have to strive for perfection, because you are playing next to a 3 star on one side, and a former walkon on the other side.

This is just so off the charts dumb it’s hard to even fathom coming up with it. So if you’re an elite Offensive Tackle, you don’t want to go to Ohio State where you would get thousands upon thousands of reps against 5 stars like Chase Young and Nick Bosa every single day in practice (the equivalent of hundreds of full games over your career), because THAT HOLDS YOU BACK! Practicing every single day against a weaker DE that is only a 3 star is much better for your development! Makes perfect sense…

You realize by this mind numbingly stupid logic he’d be even better off at Iowa State than Iowa then right? After all they only have 2 and 3 star guys at DE historically, so he’d really have to develop there compared to practicing against 3 and 4 stars at Iowa everyday!!! JFC…

Last edited:
To be fair, I think he wants to make a name for himself. I’m not surprised he’s sick of all the Wirfs comparisons, because he wants to make a name for himself, not live in the shadow of someone else.

Reactions: Hawkness Monster
To be fair, I think he wants to make a name for himself. I’m not surprised he’s sick of all the Wirfs comparisons, because he wants to make a name for himself, not live in the shadow of someone else.
And you think he'll make a NAME for himself at Alabama? Yea, sure. If he's afraid of Wirfs then how in the hell will he compete against 15 other 5 star offensive recruits sitting in line at Alabama. He'll be just another recruit as far as their fan base goes but at least in Iowa he'll be talked about for three years until he goes PRO....JMO

I have a good friend/business associate out here who is a huge Bama fan. He has gone to many bowl games. He told me of. Sabin bringing a recruit into his office and asked the recruit if they showed him a lot of good stuff at Auburn. Recruit said yeah. Then said did they show you “this”? And he laid out 5 National Championship Rings on his desk.
Kid went to Alabama.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
And you think he'll make a NAME for himself at Alabama? Yea, sure. If he's afraid of Wirfs then how in the hell will he compete against 15 other 5 star offensive recruits sitting in line at Alabama. He'll be just another recruit as far as their fan base goes but at least in Iowa he'll be talked about for three years until he goes PRO....JMO
Im not saying he’s scared of Wirfs, just that he wants people to think of him as Kadyn Proctor, not Tristan Wirfs 2.0.

I took a look after your post. Yeah, that’s very odd. Although he wasn’t telling Iowa fans. He was telling that to the writer of an article that predicted he would go to Iowa. It was weird because he appeared to be offended when he was just one out of a number of players the writer made predictions for.

He seems to only respond negatively to Iowa fans too, asking them to not force Iowa on him. But if you look at who he’s responding to, they really aren’t pushing Iowa on him. It’s just very weird.

And yes, he really doesn’t like being compared to Wirfs. I think it has more to do with them looking a little similar to be honest. That and I think he indicated that he was a big fan of Wirfs. He didn’t even look happy to take a picture with Wirfs on his visit.

I get wanting to be your own person, but people mean it as a compliment. He is very obviously not taking it that way and appears to be having a little trouble adjusting to being in the spot light. I’m sure he’s a great kid.

He is 16 and I don’t think he’s necessarily being immature. He’s just taking things the wrong way. It’s that or he’s looking for reasons not to go to Iowa. If I were to make a prediction based off of what I saw, I would say he’s not going to go to Iowa. And that’s fine. It’s his life and it’s a long, long time until his signing day.

I took a look after your post. Yeah, that’s very odd. Although he wasn’t telling Iowa fans. He was telling that to the writer of an article that predicted he would go to Iowa. It was weird because he appeared to be offended when he was just one out of a number of players the writer made predictions for.

He seems to only respond negatively to Iowa fans too, asking them to not force Iowa on him. But if you look at who he’s responding to, they really aren’t pushing Iowa on him. It’s just very weird.

And yes, he really doesn’t like being compared to Wirfs. I think it has more to do with them looking a little similar to be honest. That and I think he indicated that he was a big fan of Wirfs. He didn’t even look happy to take a picture with Wirfs on his visit.

I get wanting to be your own person, but people mean it as a compliment. He is very obviously not taking it that way and appears to be having a little trouble adjusting to being in the spot light. I’m sure he’s a great kid.

He is 16 and I don’t think he’s necessarily being immature. He’s just taking things the wrong way. It’s that or he’s looking for reasons not to go to Iowa. If I were to make a prediction based off of what I saw, I would say he’s not going to go to Iowa. And that’s fine. It’s his life and it’s a long, long time until his signing day.
I agree. It seems like he’s trying to find a reason not to go to Iowa. If I were the kid I’d be saying I’d be happy if I were half the football player Tristan Wirfs was.

Last edited:
There is next to ZERO chance Proctor stays in Iowa......why go there when you can go to Alabama win national championships and still go to the NFL...
Wirfs was recruited by Alabama and chose Iowa. Seems like it worked out well for him

Reactions: Torg
In the Saban era, Alabama has had 19 OL drafted.

tenor.gif

Getting talked about constantly is not important to some people.

I think you people are making a big deal out of nothing when it comes to comparing him and Wirfs. And wanting to come to Iowa or not. I remember a tweet he had to an Iowa fan in which the Iowa fan says something like "He isn't coming to Iowa, we never get these type of players" and KP responded with something like "That's not true" or something similar to that. I don't have twitter, so someone can go find it. It was posted on the board.

Interesting concept, but wouldn't holding your block against an equal or superior talent negate that?

Reactions: Clockhawk69
I think it boils down to just how big an Iowa fan is this kid? If he grew up bleeding black and yellow, then we have a chance, if not then he gone. Bama is only Bama because each year their roster if full of blue chippers, and if more of these blue chippers stayed home, it would balance out College football and even give schools like Iowa a chance at the CFP.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
This is just so off the charts dumb it’s hard to even fathom coming up with it. So if you’re an elite Offensive Tackle, you don’t want to go to Ohio State where you would get thousands upon thousands of reps against 5 stars like Chase Young and Nick Bosa every single day in practice (the equivalent of hundreds of full games over your career), because THAT HOLDS YOU BACK! Practicing every single day against a weaker DE that is only a 3 star is much better for your development! Makes perfect sense…

You realize by this mind numbingly stupid logic he’d be even better off at Iowa State than Iowa then right? After all they only have 2 and 3 star guys at DE historically, so he’d really have to develop there compared to practicing against 3 and 4 stars at Iowa everyday!!! JFC…
No one is really going full tilt in practices anymore, due to the chance of injuries and with the monies that will be available to players shortly, it will be even less. Winning a National Championship has an allure but going against another 5 Star really is this blowing smoke.

There isn’t really any true comparison to be made where Iowa exceeds Alabama in football.

No one is really going full tilt in practices anymore, due to the chance of injuries and with the monies that will be available to players shortly, it will be even less. Winning a National Championship has an allure but going against another 5 Star really is this blowing smoke.

No, OT’s and DE’s work against each other all the time, it’s not the type of work where you see blows to the players head that coaches work to limit. You can’t simulate the size/speed/power combo of someone like Chase Young at all, it’s why having an elite D line is such a devastating advantage in cfb. You’re the one clearly blowing smoke or has inhaled too much of it like the OP. To suggest NIL will change how coaches practice is absolutely hilarious.

Last edited:
There is next to ZERO chance Proctor stays in Iowa......why go there when you can go to Alabama win national championships and still go to the NFL...
He will be coached at least as well at Iowa then he will at Alabama. But there is more to go to college then football. His family and friends can drive up the road in a little more than an hour to see him play. He will be better educated, surrounded by better people, nicer campus and location in general. Either way it's his decision. The problem is at 16 or 17 most kids aren't mature enough to make those decisions. Hopefully, he has good family and friends to help him through the process. He just needs to take his time and decide what is most important to him.

There isn’t really any true comparison to be made where Iowa exceeds Alabama in football.
Well he won't get paid at Iowa to play football like he would at Alabama! As far as an offensive lineman he might be better off at Iowa! Iowa is taking lower rated players and developing them into NFL players. That is not what is happening at Alabama.

Well he won't get paid at Iowa to play football like he would at Alabama! As far as an offensive lineman he might be better off at Iowa! Iowa is taking lower rated players and developing them into NFL players. That is not what is happening at Alabama.
It was probably easier to do that in the days before every posted when they take a dump on social media. Huge risk if anyone paying kids. Kids are not good at keeping secrets.

I think people underestimate how big a recruiting chip it is to sell playing for nattys. A kid with Proctor's ability will believe he can make the NFL regardless of his choice of college.
You gotta consider the field moves to 12 teams in 2 years. That itself will help recruiting outside the big 4 or 5 we have now. By the time these kids get in, Iowa has a much better shot at making the field and then man it is game on. Anything can happen.

ADVERTISEMENT