ADVERTISEMENT

*Developments in SWARM19 Recruiting*

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
This coming weekend will be exceedingly important for Swarm19 as several visits are scheduled.

• The most significant development in Swarm19 came yesterday with the revelation that longtime RB target will not be taking an OV this weekend and is no longer a prospect the staff are targeting. This change came as Mekhi Sargent committed to the class and all signs point to the upcoming commitment of Tyler Goodson.

• Another interesting potential development is that of Ohio TE Erick All's mention of a possible visit to Iowa this fall. Getting a visit from All would be a solid development in TE recruiting. He is an aggressive player and very athletic. Other TE targets are getting major interest from programs like Penn State and Alabama and having likely turned their attention to other programs than Iowa.

• The commitment of running back Mekhi Sargent was a somewhat unexpected one. He had been pursued by the staff for some time, but was also under the radar to most fans. His coach refers to him as a "complete" back and his tape shows he has a great combination of strength and speed. He should be fun to follow this coming season.

• David Bell is a highly rated WR out of Indianapolis that the Hawks have been recruiting for a while now. He has made mention of the Hawks need to improve their passing game in order to land him in Swarm19. As far as we know his commitment is not immediately imminent, however he continues to receive predictions for a commitment to Purdue. He has also received predictions for Ohio State.

This coming weekend will be exceedingly important for Swarm19 as several visits are schedule
  • David Bell is a highly rated WR out of Indianapolis that the Hawks have been recruiting for a while now. He has made mention of the Hawks need to improve their passing game in order to land him in Swarm19. As far as we know his commitment is not immediately imminent, however he continues to receive predictions for a commitment to Purdue. He has also received predictions for Ohio State.

I hope somebody has made the effort to connect Bell and Spencer Petras. A QB like that would have to help our cause.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Do you see any jumping on board this weekend?
I'd been thinking about that some, but I'm really not sure right now. Hunt seems to be slow playing things, Fox is getting more offers including near by North Carolina. Britt moved his commit date back. Maybe Belton. I'd be down with that commit fasho!

Reactions: clayborn_94
  • I'm still surprised by how the RB recruiting is looking. It is genuinely appearing as though the Hawks consider themselves 'filled' at RB. This presumably is pointing to a committment by Goodson.
  • We landed our QB recruit for the class ... so all QB sights are now on '20 signal callers. The guy we landed seems like a natural fit. He's a developmental guy who will likely be ready to be a significant contributor in a couple of years.
  • DB recruiting seems interesting - it appears as though we're still intent on landing a guy. However, by how we're playing things, we must be sitting really well with a guy who we really like.
  • We're still aggressively recruiting TEs - it looks like we'll likely land one ... and the guy should be a good one too!
  • Most intriguing to me is how we're recruiting D-linemen. It seems like we're intent to land 2 more guys on the DL.
  • OL and WR recruiting is maybe a little puzzling. By any accounts, it would appear as though we're happy to land Bell (WR) and Britt (OL) ... but we're not recruiting either of those positions (seemingly) with much urgency for swarm19.
  • Lastly, it still appears as though we'd happily take a top target at LB. Thus, if I had to guess, we're still probably due to land another LB.

I like the sound of picking up a commit at LB from Jake Karchinski's Cuzzo in wisconsin. Dude rushed for over 2000 yards and something like 27 tds on top of playing LB. Think if he put all his energy into LB.

IMO this weekend isn't overly important.
The reason I say that is with Iowa's schedule they should have a fine season. So picking up recruits who lose their coach (thru firing) or are soured on their teams performance seems like a good game plan.
Since Iowa doesn't have a lot of spots to fill we are in a good position to poach some prepstars as the season rolls along. I think Iowa will look more desirable to recruits in December than they do in June.
And of course IWCC and the occasional graduate transfer will always be there to present Iowa with some positive unexpected options.

IMO this weekend isn't overly important.
The reason I say that is with Iowa's schedule they should have a fine season. So picking up recruits who lose their coach (thru firing) or are soured on their teams performance seems like a good game plan.
Since Iowa doesn't have a lot of spots to fill we are in a good position to poach some prepstars as the season rolls along. I think Iowa will look more desirable to recruits in December than they do in June.
And of course IWCC and the occasional graduate transfer will always be there to present Iowa with some positive unexpected options.
I sure hope we have the type of season that would draw interest from great recruits down the stretch. I'm not counting on it despite my general optimism. Just never know how things will turn out. I still think this weekend is important and I know this, if Britt is struck with the sudden desire to commit, he's more than welcome to.

I sure hope we have the type of season that would draw interest from great recruits down the stretch. I'm not counting on it despite my general optimism. Just never know how things will turn out. I still think this weekend is important and I know this, if Britt is struck with the sudden desire to commit, he's more than welcome to.

I wouldn't want or expect the coaches to turn down high priorities (tho it looks like that might have already happened to at least one recruit).
It is true to say you can't count on a great season so best to grab what you can while you can.
For some emotional reason I just feel Iowa's options on the recruiting trail will continue to improve over the next 6 months. Hopefully I don't look back in December and find my prediction naive.

I wouldn't want or expect the coaches to turn down high priorities (tho it looks like that might have already happened to at least one recruit).
It is true to say you can't count on a great season so best to grab what you can while you can.
For some emotional reason I just feel Iowa's options on the recruiting trail will continue to improve over the next 6 months. Hopefully I don't look back in December and find my prediction naive.

This would have been a good year to have room as they have turned down more than one already. At least a couple of CBs to go with the well know. RB.

I would still like to see Bell &Britt from Indy and the 2 Omaha Burke Kids, Heinrich and Hickman. I just don’t see the Huskers throwing the ball to their TEs, but maybe Hickman is aiming higher than Nebraska.

How can he not see himself when he watches the success of Fant?

If we could get the 4 Kids above and Goodson the RB from Georgia... call it good and start on 2020. Wait. We need another DT Hoss like Jalen Hunt.

Is there a rally/reassessment planned during the dead period? Seems like last year there was a second round push, when players start getting cut from consideration by the blue bloods? Or, are they just happy with kids they have (new recruits and on campus)?

Here we go again. If you are serious where the eff have you been? Won't get any more reaction out of me than that. Hawkeye Football goin up.
I will never apologize for the frustration of constant mid 40s recruiting rankings. I know it has been beaten to death. But recruiting is a proven weak spot for KF. But yeah I don't know where the eff I have been.

We damn well better land Goodson after telling Brock we are full, Assuming the story is true. All I can say here. I feel we are very likely to get him but we do not need another RB recruiting debacle the like of what went down with the great Eno.

Sounds like
We damn well better land Goodson after telling Brock we are full, Assuming the story is true. All I can say here. I feel we are very likely to get him but we do not need another RB recruiting debacle the like of what went down with the great Eno.
Very important get at this point. I think he is ours though.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Goodsons commit is now under 2 weeks away. As many have stated It seems like we are the strong favorite here. Wouldn't mind seeing great Dane commit soon. Get this weather cleared up for the visitors.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Miller is a 4 star, Lee is a 4 star, Endres is a 4 star. Just not on Rivals but they aren't the be all end all when it comes to rankings.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Great photo from Jestin Jacobs' mom.

5b2ec16acfe4d-Iowa%2019%20Group%20Pic.jpg

#5 Dane Belton, #81 Desmond Hutson, #44 Jake Karchinski, #5 Jestin Jacobs, #8 Alex Padilla, #75 Ezra Miller, #75 Justin Britt, #70 Noah Fenske, #46 Jack Campbell, #45 Logan Lee, #79 Tyler Endres, #51 Tomari Fox, #6 Jalen Hunt

#5 Dane Belton, #81 Desmond Hutson, #44 Jake Karchinski, #5 Jestin Jacobs, #8 Alex Padilla, #75 Ezra Miller, #75 Justin Britt, #70 Noah Fenske, #46 Jack Campbell, #45 Logan Lee, #79 Tyler Endres, #51 Tomari Fox, #6 Jalen Hunt
Wow! Them big eaters is big! Hunt looks like a future DT with that stout build. Great Dane looking like a LB or Viper candidate too. Jestin Jacobs is gonna be a good one!

Reactions: buzzer04

Fine lookin group of young men. I count 13. I say we grab 7 more and call it a day.

Britt is taller than I expected. I initially suspected that he might be more of an OG candidate ... but if he has good reach with height, he could potentially project at OT too. It's nice to have guys who are versatile!

Wow! Them big eaters is big! Hunt looks like a future DT with that stout build. Great Dane looking like a LB or Viper candidate too. Jestin Jacobs is gonna be a good one!

I can't see the Water Tower, jeez. Go figure. Another Barta.

No Casto? I presume that isn’t a big deal?

Really good weekend for the hawks.

Agree, just need to fill out this class with Britt, Goodson, Bell, Henrich, Mosai, Belton and call it good!

I wish Iowa had room for JB and could of landed him as Iowa needs a rb like him to fill out their four to five year need. Still wish Iowa was able to get Karan Higdon instead of Michigan too. He’s a down hill runner and that recruitment still stings with JH coming in last minute.

Reactions: Hawkdome
Anybody else happen to notice...Alex Padilla looks pretty small. 6'2"?...I don't think so. If Jacobs on his right (our left) is 6' 3"....Padilla is probably under 6 feet.

That aside, this is shaping up to be a great class. Goodson would be the cherry on top and Bell (a longshot no doubt) would make it outstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkdome
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT