ADVERTISEMENT

Devyn Marble Update

Looks like he's going to sign with a Greek team next year which really sucks for him because he needs three years of NBA service to qualify for their pension plan and health insurance in retirement.

It also sucks because Greece's economy sucks and pro players sometimes get left unpaid if their team goes under. In France and Germany the government guarantees those contracts.
Here's to hoping Dev does not land in Greece.

Reactions: KeyWest Tim
He's still very young.

True. Wasn't he like 14 his freshman year?? All kidding aside, he is young. Only 23. He has a couple years to go before he hits his peak. Playing in Europe, where he will gain a LOT more minutes than on an NBA bench, is not a bad thing. He will make some good coin too.

Reactions: DenverTurtle
where did that 4 years go?

Congrats Dev!

8bd8517853a9309a9e077261af61e957.png

It's hard to admit when it's time to hang it up. Playing ball in Kazakhstan seems like it might be a sign that you're near the end.

Reactions: 2432Hawk
It's hard to admit when it's time to hang it up. Playing ball in Kazakhstan seems like it might be a sign that you're near the end.
He's probably going to make a lot more money playing basketball right now than doing anything else. Lots of guys have had long careers abroad. He's a marginal NBA player who can probably make good coin for another 15 years overseas.

He's probably going to make a lot more money playing basketball right now than doing anything else. Lots of guys have had long careers abroad. He's a marginal NBA player who can probably make good coin for another 15 years overseas.

This right here. Years ago I remember a friend of mine who went to HS with a former big man for ISU Homan. He said he made $250K one season for a league in Turkey. Season was about 5 months long. I'm not really sure but way he made it sound but that salary player receives the bulk of it and isn't taxed like he would here in the states and brought the bulk of it home with him. Depending on what league you are in you can make a lot of $ as we've seen White turn down NBA camp invites to make more playing over seas. Most leagues limit the # of American players on the roster but one thing Marble has that is very valuable to him in being signed is that he was 1. Drafted and 2. spent time and actually played in the NBA. 2 things attractive to their fan bases in these countries as was noted in the tweet of Marble's signing.

End of the day Marble is making 6 figures a year doing what he loves to do and when he decides to hang it up will be a millionaire.

This right here. Years ago I remember a friend of mine who went to HS with a former big man for ISU Homan. He said he made $250K one season for a league in Turkey. Season was about 5 months long. I'm not really sure but way he made it sound but that salary player receives the bulk of it and isn't taxed like he would here in the states and brought the bulk of it home with him. Depending on what league you are in you can make a lot of $ as we've seen White turn down NBA camp invites to make more playing over seas. Most leagues limit the # of American players on the roster but one thing Marble has that is very valuable to him in being signed is that he was 1. Drafted and 2. spent time and actually played in the NBA. 2 things attractive to their fan bases in these countries as was noted in the tweet of Marble's signing.

End of the day Marble is making 6 figures a year doing what he loves to do and when he decides to hang it up will be a millionaire.

This. Better than selling insurance for 1/4 the salary.

>and isn't taxed like he would here in the states and brought the bulk of it home with him.

Lol, no. You pay tax on ever dollar you make abroad. Evenmore, most European countries have an agreement with USA and their banks have to report to USA/IRS every dollar they pay to an USA citizen or green card holder. Sure, if he is paid in cash, he can bring it back illegally but I guess you were not talking about that.

ADVERTISEMENT