ADVERTISEMENT

Dez runs a 4.5 at Pro Day

I heard Leshun Daniels ran a 4.5 flat also. Thats huge for him

I said this would happen, honestly our fans have NO clue and I mean ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE, who is or isn't fast or slow. I've watched these Pro-day and Combine times play out over the last 10 plus years and our kids are routinely faster than the critics and sadly our fans understand. Same with McCaron and all our Wr's in recent years. Fast isn't the problem. Knowing what they are doing, "getting" open, catching the ball is.....

Most fans look at 3 things, "speed/athleticism", play-calling and scheme....but what they should be looking at..."are our kids football smart and aware of the intricacies of their position and their adversaries strengths and weaknesses and are we executing at a high level.

Difference is electronic at the combine and an average of hand time at the pro day. Kings forty wasn't great but not bad either. Look for him to go in round 3 as a slot corner. Mccarron had a good workout but production and diminutive size will keep him from getting drafted.

Difference is electronic at the combine and an average of hand time at the pro day. Kings forty wasn't great but not bad either. Look for him to go in round 3 as a slot corner. Mccarron had a good workout but production and diminutive size will keep him from getting drafted.
The pro day is electronically timed. You can see the timing devices in the pictures

The pro day is electronically timed. You can see the timing devices in the pictures

Yes I believe Iowas pro day is electronically timed and that is why the scouts always rave about how good Their pro day is besides the accommodations and how they're treated.

The truth is football fast is way different than electronically timed and a football player is never as fast or even close to as fast as a world-class track star, of course everybody knows this but truly there are a lot of guys in the NFL that run pretty slow times, yet play very fast and Vontaze Burfict, knucklehead that he may be, comes immediately to mind.

The reality is even an electronic time isn't as accurate as it should be & very very few of these guys really run sub four fives and I'm linking an article that talks about this .... it's one of the things I've argued ad nauseam on here for years and why our fans are typically clueless when it comes to "fast" football players!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...-pro-day-dates-for-more-than-225-schools/amp/

Because he dropped so many balls or didn't do a agood enuff job of getting open down the field?
Because he didn't get the ball enough...somehow...someway...whom's ever fault that may be. Woulda been nice to see him get more opportunities with that speed and being the little muscle hamster he is...not trying to throw anybody under the bus if that's what you think. If it was on Riley then fine but I'm not saying that either.

Reactions: Pepperman
Because he didn't get the ball enough...somehow...someway...whom's ever fault that may be. Woulda been nice to see him get more opportunities with that speed and being the little muscle hamster he is...not trying to throw anybody under the bus if that's what you think. If it was on Riley then fine but I'm not saying that either.

There are only three ways that a wide receiver gets open. But especially down the field, well five actually if you count the quarterback and O-line.

They physically out man their guy at the point of attack, they run an absolutely great route, or the D-back makes a mistake. That's it...

And as evidence I'll give you exhibit A, does anyone remember the Penn State game in Happy valley? Spievey got caught peeking in the back field and got beat for an 80 yard touchdown and couldn't recover in time?

They didn't get deep one more time that game. I like Riley but when a wide receiver doesn't get open it's typically on the wide receiver or the offense didn't have enough time to get it to him. Or didn't have the confidence to throw it to him because he drops balls, quite frankly people are open down the field all the time I assume you guys go to football games live... somebody is always open.

The OC/play caller takes way way way way way way too much blame for when an offense sputters.

There are only three ways that a wide receiver gets open. But especially down the field, well five actually if you count the quarterback and O-line.

They physically out man their guy at the point of attack, they run an absolutely great route, or the D-back makes a mistake. That's it...

And as evidence I'll give you exhibit A, does anyone remember the Penn State game in Happy valley? Spievey got caught peeking in the back field and got beat for an 80 yard touchdown and couldn't recover in time?

they didn't get the deep one more time that game. I like Riley but when a wide receiver doesn't get open it's typically on the wide receiver or the offense didn't have enough time to get it to him. Or didn't have the confidence to throw it to him because he drops balls, quite frankly people are open down the field all the time I assume you guys go to football games live... somebody is always open.

The OC/play caller takes way way way way way way too much blame for when an offense sputters.
I was not blaming anybody....just a shame that it didn't pan out better is all. Sorry for any confusion.

I was not blaming anybody....just a shame that it didn't pan out better is all. Sorry for any confusion.

I agree and if memory serves I think you and I typically agree on things, so I'm not trying to be an ass but Iowa has had a lot of these wide receivers that we are way faster than we all thought they were but the truth is we haven't had "great" wide receivers i.e. the guys that know how to run routes know how to get open know how to beat press coverage and know how and where to set down in an open zone.

We all saw how fast he was when he took that little crossing pattern and beat everyone to the house... speed wasn't his issue knowing how to get open and being able to catch the ball were.

Some of that is on him and some of that is on the coaches I suppose but not the playcalling per se....

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
On a corollary note our wide receivers, hell all our players, like Leshun Daniels, are typically way faster than our fans seem to think they are. It baffles me to no-end!

I'm guessing it was hard for him to get separation and immediate distance from DBs off the line of scrimmage.

Without a doubt...i've said it a gazillion times speed isn't that important at least straight line speed. My oldest son is a very good soccer player and he's not "really" fast nor does he typically win 40 yard dash drills against the rest of his college soccer team but he is liquid quick on the field and can get in and out of brakes and steal the ball like nobody's business. And although he IS very very quick a lot of that is because he is super-smart and he anticipates things before they happen. He is small, quite frankly he's smaller than all his younger brothers and sisters (his 15 year old brother is already 6-2, his 12 year old brother is nearly as tall and heavier and his 17 year old sister is heavier and as tall) yet he is the best defender on their team.

Heart, want-to and intelligence make great players!!!

Last edited:
So, is that a decent number? I hear that Pro Day 40s are "faster" than combine numbers. Anyone in the know?

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/desmond-king-hawkeyes-cornerback-runs-4-5-40-iowa-pro-day

Great numbers! Have to say I love to read these posts from fans acting like they are experts on combine and pro day logistics. LOL. 100% of you never sniffed a pro day how the hell are you qualified to provide an assessment? Funny stuff right there. Be happy for our kids and let's wish them the best - they worked their asses off at Iowa.

Amazing how a 40 time turns a kid from "why the hell is he playing" into "how didn't we get him the ball more" not pointing you out directly but holy crap the narrative changed quickly, it never should amaze me but it always does.
On a side note, he pulled away pretty quickly in the nebby game so I am not overly surprised. 4.36 I wouldn't have guessed but knew he was fast

Amazing how a 40 time turns a kid from "why the hell is he playing" into "how didn't we get him the ball more" not pointing you out directly but holy crap the narrative changed quickly, it never should amaze me but it always does.
On a side note, he pulled away pretty quickly in the nebby game so I am not overly surprised. 4.36 I wouldn't have guessed but knew he was fast
Yeah I remember the TD against nebby but it seems like most on here talk about 'slow white receivers' on this team but that isn't the case...obviously there were other issues in our passing game...more than one I'm sure...it's just frustrating to see these numbers and not think ....'what's the problem?'...that's all...whether it's the player, playcalls, routes, QB, OL or whatever....and I know speed isn't everything as evidenced by Powell or others but it seems like speed isn't always the issue...so what is?

Yeah I remember the TD against nebby but it seems like most on here talk about 'slow white receivers' on this team but that isn't the case...obviously there were other issues in our passing game...more than one I'm sure...it's just frustrating to see these numbers and not think ....'what's the problem?'...that's all...whether it's the player, playcalls, routes, QB, OL or whatever....and I know speed isn't everything as evidenced by Powell or others but it seems like speed isn't always the issue...so what is?

In a word...losing...LOL...and we have fast receivers just not particularly good ones.

A little off topic, but isn't great that the NFL has the best minor league system in pro sports and they don't contribute a dime towards it. They even get treated like royalty when they come on campus.

A little off topic, but isn't great that the NFL has the best minor league system in pro sports and they don't contribute a dime towards it. They even get treated like royalty when they come on campus.
Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

Really it is no different than a job fair where businesses scout talent at the university.

Come on, do your homework before making a statement like this. All you need to do is look at the pro day images

On a corollary note our wide receivers, hell all our players, like Leshun Daniels, are typically way faster than our fans seem to think they are. It baffles me to no-end!
Difference between football fast and track fast or 40 yard sprint with no football equipment on or other players around you.

Difference between football fast and track fast or 40 yard sprint with no football equipment on or other players around you.

As I've said, oddly enuff its when they are on the field "playing" fast that they get the most flack. Hard to look at LD or McCarron on the field last year and call them slow but that's what happened and yet now, they are fast...super funny and super telling on peoples ability to be honest with themselves.

As I've said, oddly enuff its when they are on the field "playing" fast that they get the most flack. Hard to look at LD or McCarron on the field last year and call them slow but that's what happened and yet now, they are fast...super funny and super telling on peoples ability to be honest with themselves.
Yes, they are fast. Daniels showed it a couple times on long runs. He's just not explosive or shifty as Wadley. That's what most would complain about, they say Wadley needed more carries. But they forget he'd probably get dinged up if he carried a lot more. I guess we'll find out this year.

So true. Most of the season. we heard how bad we must suck at WR if McCarren was playing, now this. If the kid had no measurable skills, he wouldn't be on a top 25 caliber division one team, yes even Iowa.

Yes, they are fast. Daniels showed it a couple times on long runs. He's just not explosive or shifty as Wadley. That's what most would complain about, they say Wadley needed more carries. But they forget he'd probably get dinged up if he carried a lot more. I guess we'll find out this year.
Wadley definetly goes from start or on a cut with more quickness than LD. Daniels is plenty fast enough as his four or five 70 plus yard runs showed this season showed. I would imagine that Wadley can also maintain that speed from 40 to 70 yards better than the heavier Daniels but love having the power back, who can move. Hope that Young or Toks, are the next Thunder to Wads Lightening!

King in the third round sounds crazy to me. If that happens someone is going to get a steal.

If Iowa uses electronic timing of 40's then it is my mistake. If you Google what is the difference in pro day 40's and combine it references hand held as opposed to electronic.

..but what they should be looking at..."are our kids football smart and aware of the intricacies of their position and their adversaries strengths and weaknesses and are we executing at a high level.
And to all of that, we are obviously not......

Riley produced whenever he was asked to or needed to. He's one of the biggest misses I've seen by the coaching staff in years. He should have been given many more opportunities.

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT