ADVERTISEMENT

Did America lose its right to call out war crimes....

Did America lose its right to call out war crimes i.e. above

• Yes

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Do as I say, not as I do

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Times change

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It depends on what war crimes they are.

Ultimately though any country with any power if you look back they have had times where they played fast and loose on international rules and law.

It's one of the reasons I don't like international law. It's nothing more than a set of ideals. The law part only applies to the losers.

Don't get me wrong there are disparities in every country as to how the wealthy are treated by the law and the poor. But nothing compares to the disparities in international law. Jeff Bezos could probably get away with some lesser crimes like drug use or something like that. But all his billions arn't going to do any good if Jeff Bezos decides to murder a thousand people.

On the other hand as long as you don't lose a war, you can murder as many people as you like and international law isn't gonna be able to touch you.

Does it matter? It’s war, people are getting killed and property is being destroyed. Leaders are being hunted down and murdered but yet we want to complain about how someone crossed the line and committed a “war crime”. The whole thing is a crime.

I don't think so because someone needs to do it and looking around there isn't many reliable takes. The post 9/11 era hurt the reputation of the United States, especially with Iraq. But nothing compared to what we saw with ISIS and what Russia is doing in the Ukraine. And I get ISIS is not a country but just saying.

It matters to the soldiers that abide by the rules. If you want to be treated humanely, your hope to do your best to follow the rules, and not be treated inhumanely if roles reversed.

There has to be extreme standards. Something about 9/11. I don't think Abu Ghraib happens in the 91 Iraq war.

When Abu Gharib info came out, I was still stationed at BIAP not very far away. Rockets, mortars, and IEDs were increased. Kept us from coming home for a few weeks.

I know what happens when our soldiers do bad things.

Reactions: Mister_Man
The US has been a hypocrite since well before Vietnam, starting with slaughtering the People, and moving the People to reservations. When it comes to foreign policy, there have been all manner of doctrines where the US has tried to dictate what brand of government should be used, and which countries can colonize other countries.

In just the last 24 years, the US Government has taken some form of military action in quite a few countries with no declaration of war against those countries, as if we actually have some right to just do whatever we want in the name of "US National Security". Killing innocent civilians in Yemen, or Syria, etc., etc., is just wrong. We're told the actual targets are terrorists trying to kill us. This may or may not be true, but what is true is that our government has no problem lying to us, and covering up their duplicity and failures.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT