ADVERTISEMENT

Did Ferentz Make a Mistake?

I'm no KF supporter, but I fail to see how he screwed this up. IMO, CJB's camp put the statement out in the Tennessee newspaper, and if I had to guess JR's camp responded by saying basically the same to KF. This put KF in a position that im sure no coach would want to be in. Then, KF responded to them both by releasing the January depth chart with who he thought was best for the program. JR's camp was butt hurt and said they are taking their ball and going home. How do we know that KF put out the depth chart to appease CJB? Perhaps it was a F-U to JR's HS FB coach, dad etc? How do you think most coaches would handle this? I think most would say screw the both of them. Clearly they are both the type that want their way or they will leave. But yet KF is the bad guy? I don't get it.

Originally posted by bradjens:
I know the truth. Kirk handled this bad. He is not the nice ethical guy we all thought he was

He has changed , he treated the situation bad.
Treated jake like shit in the end. They treated the bowl game bad.

It showed it was bad. The truth will come out.

The high school told Kirk he was done in south Florida.

If you all only knew how bad it was and I am a CJ fan but it was handled poor.

I know longer respect the coach,he chocked
He chocked? He prevented the forward movement of a wheel or vehicle using a chock? What the hell does that have to do with anything?
You come on here and make barely intelligible statements/allegations as if you have some inside knowledge of the situation and/or know anything about the man, yet present no evidence to support any of your almost imcomprehensible rants. (3rd graders put together better sentences than this; fact)
You know the truth, eh, well please, enlighten all of us with your 'truth'.
The only truth here, is that you're a barely literate, petulant cretin, who apparently suffers from SPS and feels a need to overcompensate by attempting to impress someone on a message board. You're impressive alright, lol.......

I know the truth. Kirk handled this bad. He is not the nice ethical guy we all thought he was

I know longer respect the coach, he chocked
You have no clue. Apparently the high school coach in South Florida did not see any Iowa games in 2014. The QB play was was a disaster.

The coaching staff was well aware of Ruddock's decision when the announcement was made. Just because that decision wasn't shared with the public doesn't mean it hadn't already been made.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

Originally posted by gotaloadon:

Just wondering why Jake feels the need to move on. I know that the fans can and have been unbearable but that's going to happen no matter where you are at. He's been given the reigns for three years now and some here, me included, saw reasons to give CJ at least a shot during that span after some less then stellar showings from Jake. And he wasn't afforded that shot very often.If he doesn't think he'll be given a fair chance of regaining his starters roll then I guess he needs to look elsewhere. Too bad, the OC should have been down the road long before we arrived at this point. Keep making the same mistakes I'm not sure why the outcome should be any different.
He's graduating this spring. He wants to get his PhD, and would like to get it through Michigan. He knows his future in football isn't in the NFL. He is though using football to help pay for his first year at Michigan if possible.
You interviewed Jake? It sounds like he was very candid with you in this interview. Can you please link to your full interview with him, or any interview where he has diclosed all this information. I appreciate it.

Neither QB was going to sit on the bench in 2015. If both QB's are considered equal - do you choose the guy with 1 year available or 2 years? Easy choice to make.

So, let's just begin with the assumption that KF and the coaching staff are idiots, and no matter what happens, they were wrong.

Let's also assume that KF had no idea what would happen with these 2 QB's since he obviously never talked to either one.

So, to answer the OP's question, the answer is "of course".

I am no longer a KF fan or supporter, but the arrogance of some fans on this board is remarkable, Without many actual facts they are able to determine what happened and what should have happened - and it's all KF's fault.

rolleyes.r191677.gif

Originally posted by hansenhawk:

Originally posted by iahawkeyes17:
Sounds like KF handled his qb spot poorly throughout the season into the off season....
This is the truth.

Why be so loyal to a guy no matter what, then throw him out right AFTER a season.

Just makes no sense how he handled the whole thing.

More proof that KF has lost it, has no idea how to run a quality college football program anymore.

This post was edited on 3/11 9:40 PM by hansenhawk
I'm surprised both guys don't leave since Ferentz has screwed them both over.

Originally posted by HawkinK.C.1:
Ferentz did make a mistake. That mistake was starting Jake Rudock when it was clear to anyone who was paying attention that our future was with Beathard. At this point, I just wish that Jake would hurry up and GTFO. He's not that bad a QB, but he's become cancer.
Ferentz wasted a year of CJ's development by having him on the bench and not getting number 1 reps. Maybe that will help him since this staff has shown to make qb's worse the longer they coach them.

We'll know if a mistake was made if CJB doesn't improve our quarterback play. Two reasons I can think that Kirk and Davis may have named CJB as No. 1 is that over time he beat Jake Rudock out in both games and in practice as he learned the system and developed ( He was always a year behind Jake in experience which is huge for developing quarterbacks). The only other reason is if he gave in to pressure from CJB's father. I don't want to believe the second reason because I believe Kirk is a straight shooter; to solid for that kind of reason; I HOPE!!

I think the one person that all the listed posters left out of the picture is OC Davis, could Davis had a huge say in what was to be in 2015-16 with the QB position. Maybe he told KF that CJB had more variables to what his offense required to be good.

We truly don't know, we speculate, but i'd assume Davis played a part.

Originally posted by BioHawk:
Yes he did, and he has made the same mistake multiple times throughout his career. Rather than playing the quarterback that is performing the best he shows too much loyalty to one quarterback at the expense of the team. Although, this year I'm not sure it would have made a difference because the start of the problem was with the guys calling the plays.
I don't even understand this blanket criticism because it doesn't apply to any situation.

2001 -- Banks over McCann. Banks wasn't the same player in 2001 that he turned out to be in 2002. Truthfully, because Ferentz played him, despite his lack of knowledge about the playbook and experience, it had a lot to do with how well he performed in 2002. Loyalty didn't enter into it. Banks wasn't completely ready for prime time and Ferentz did well to get him on the field to get that experience.

2008 - Christensen over Stanzi -- The only thing that bugs fans is what happened in the second half of the Pitt game. This always obscures the fact that Stanzi started two of the four games early before taking the job. The Pitt situation may have been exasperated by Stanzi's arguing with the coaches at the end of the first half. Nothing was ever confirmed -- as if it ever was going to be, but after Pitt, Stanzi started the rest of the year. Again. What loyalty?

Note: If anyone's going to bitch about 2007, then I know they don't know what they're talking about. Christensen was it. We were so thin at that position we still had McNutt at QB and the awesome Arvell Nelson. Stanzi was a RS Freshmen that year. He was nowhere close to taking the reins.

2012-- Vandenberg-Rudock: Only an idiot thinks that maybe Rudock should have played instead of Vandenberg. Should he have gotten a couple of snaps in blowout losses. Yeah. Would it have made a difference in 2013? No.

Now before some knucklehead joins in with the always expected "you think Ferentz doesn't ever make mistakes" nonsense: No he's made plenty over the last few seasons. Frankly with last year, he said he was going to play Beathard and then didn't. I don't know why. Maybe that was loyalty, but there were times he should have brought Beathard in and it helped create this monster. The real truth again was the we lost games because we had no consistent running game and our defense against the run was inconsistent at best. Throw special teams in there as well.

The truth is, somebody was going to leave this year and most of these fans who are now critical of Jake transferring would also be the ones who are glad it's him, so I don't pay any attention to that criticism.

I know longer respect the coach, he chocked
Well come on Geraldo. Tell us the inside skippy. Tell us how bad it was.

Otherwise, you're full of sh*t.

Originally posted by Section8:
I do believe there was a QB mistake. But I think it was made after the '14 spring drills when KF said both QB's were equal and the staff would put together specific packages to utilize CJB's skills. Clearly a move to only keep CJB around and not leave. Didn't happen and didn't appear anything special was planned for CJB when he did get in a game. KF can NEVER use that line again. Nobody will believe it. Not players, not fans. Then the out of the blue change for the bowl game. Was that to try and help ticket sales for the bowl game? Very odd. The QB's had the head coach by the nads and played him. Still not certain that CJ stays.
You are spot on. Not playing CJ as part of the package each game set up this cluster. He may not have kept both in the end but by not playing it out on the field and then appearing to pull this out of his arse it poisoned the well for Jake AND puts CJ in an unfair position. All because of KF's obstinance (again). I'm sure there is a very interesting back story to all this but not playing CJ until the bowl game ruined any chance at keeping both.

Originally posted by downtown hawk redux:

Originally posted by BioHawk:
Yes he did, and he has made the same mistake multiple times throughout his career. Rather than playing the quarterback that is performing the best he shows too much loyalty to one quarterback at the expense of the team. Although, this year I'm not sure it would have made a difference because the start of the problem was with the guys calling the plays.
I don't even understand this blanket criticism because it doesn't apply to any situation.

2001 -- Banks over McCann. Banks wasn't the same player in 2001 that he turned out to be in 2002. Truthfully, because Ferentz played him, despite his lack of knowledge about the playbook and experience, it had a lot to do with how well he performed in 2002. Loyalty didn't enter into it. Banks wasn't completely ready for prime time and Ferentz did well to get him on the field to get that experience.

2008 - Christensen over Stanzi -- The only thing that bugs fans is what happened in the second half of the Pitt game. This always obscures the fact that Stanzi started two of the four games early before taking the job. The Pitt situation may have been exasperated by Stanzi's arguing with the coaches at the end of the first half. Nothing was ever confirmed -- as if it ever was going to be, but after Pitt, Stanzi started the rest of the year. Again. What loyalty?

Note: If anyone's going to bitch about 2007, then I know they don't know what they're talking about. Christensen was it. We were so thin at that position we still had McNutt at QB and the awesome Arvell Nelson. Stanzi was a RS Freshmen that year. He was nowhere close to taking the reins.

2012-- Vandenberg-Rudock: Only an idiot thinks that maybe Rudock should have played instead of Vandenberg. Should he have gotten a couple of snaps in blowout losses. Yeah. Would it have made a difference in 2013? No.

Now before some knucklehead joins in with the always expected "you think Ferentz doesn't ever make mistakes" nonsense: No he's made plenty over the last few seasons. Frankly with last year, he said he was going to play Beathard and then didn't. I don't know why. Maybe that was loyalty, but there were times he should have brought Beathard in and it helped create this monster. The real truth again was the we lost games because we had no consistent running game and our defense against the run was inconsistent at best. Throw special teams in there as well.

The truth is, somebody was going to leave this year and most of these fans who are now critical of Jake transferring would also be the ones who are glad it's him, so I don't pay any attention to that criticism.
Spot on. I'm ready for a change at HC too, but c'mon.

Originally posted by HawkinK.C.1:
Ferentz did make a mistake. That mistake was starting Jake Rudock when it was clear to anyone who was paying attention that our future was with Beathard. At this point, I just wish that Jake would hurry up and GTFO. He's not that bad a QB, but he's become cancer.
Sure, leave before finals.

CJB for two years or Rudock for one?

CJ has more upside, he is a better scrambler and has a stronger arm.

Looks to me to be a win-win. Rudock can get a year free at Michigan and Iowa gets CJ the #1 QB reps in practice.

Yes Kirk stuck with Rudock too long. I think Rudock is more in the Iowa mold which is being conservative and don't make mistakes. We aren't good enough to turn the ball over and expect to win. Hopeful that CJ improves his decision making, the long ball isn't always the answer, we need consistency.

I haven't been on here all year but pretty funny to come back and read the numerous reasons cited for JR leaving, some including pressure from the fans. It's all about medical school. I actually thought this would have been on here already.

What are we risking here? Upside of 7-5 with JR and downside 6-6? Upside of 8-3 with Beathard vs downside of 5-7?

Not sure what JR thinks is going to happen at Michigan. He might get lucky and be a starter for awhile, but Michigan will play for next season and pull the plug on him if there is any QB with a pulse that has more eligibility left.

As for Wiegers being good...I'll believe it when I see it. We've had long history of instate QB prospects that flame out at B1G level. Iowa HS and pre-HS football doesn't develop QBs like what Texas does. Give me a Drew Tate over a Vandenberg.

That said, I would love for Wiegers to be a stud and be proven wrong for my skepticism.

ADVERTISEMENT