ADVERTISEMENT

Did Kirk (via Iowa football twitter) go rogue w/ the SWARM tweet of support.

Dec 14, 2002
It's been a couple of weeks, and I'm not sure I have all of the timing down, but it's been on my mind for a few days. I thought I could come here to get straightened out.

As I remember.....
1) Shortly before Christmas day the SWARM guy hit the radio scene to publicly shame Barta and the Iowa athletic department. He pointed out Iowa was not supporting the collective the way other schools were.

2) A day or two later, the famous "Barta e-mail" saying nothing w/ a lot of words

3) The tweet from Iowa football encouraging fans to support the SWARM

4) Another "official" e-mail from Iowa athletics promoting the Iowa football Tweet......

Did Kirk force Barta's hand by with the tweet supporting the SWARM or was this all discussed and well-orchestrated chain of events? Maybe I missed something or have the events out of order.....or making a big deal out of nothing. The timing of the Iowa football tweet seems odd especially when followed by step 4....(which basically says "oh yeah, go out and support the SWARM).....

It appears to be the blind leading the blind in Iowa City when it comes to NIL. ;) The Swarm collective has been offering them a seeing eye dog, but Barta seemed to embrace fumbling along in the darkness with his eye walking cane. But I have no idea what is going on today as Barta is reactive not proactive, which is why he is a shitty AD.

It appears to be the blind leading the blind in Iowa City when it comes to NIL. ;) The Swarm collective has been offering them a seeing eye dog, but Barta seemed to embrace fumbling along in the darkness with his eye walking cane. But I have no idea what is going on today as Barta is reactive not proactive, which is why he is a shitty AD.
Barta is listening to attorneys.

It really sounds like Barta hates the very idea of anything that smacks of paying players.

As you said, he’s always been reactive. His one and only strength as an AD is fundraising, which NIL indirectly threatens.

Beat the dead horse of grievance.

Iowa has -
1. A collective
2. A NIL program and provides guidance for ‘student’- athletes
3. Iowa is competitive with dollars
—-3a I live in a competing B1G town, collectives have approached our organization, they aren’t sitting in piles of $. Collective ‘leaders’ indicated Iowa was behind when it was stated $10m /year was needed for sustainability, citing the town I live in. It was not true yet exaggerated to appeal to emotions and raise $
—- 3b everyone is in a building phase , hardly any programs have the sugar daddies people think they
—- this will live and die on grass roots support, not major donor support

Barta can be very proactive. He just does it at horrible times. He boldly decided to be the first AD to use the loss of the football season to axe some of the non-rev sports. My schools surely wanted to do it, but they waited it out. Barta wanted to pioneer cleaning house, and he was hammered on nationally for doing so. And of course football happened after all, no one else sounded cutting anything and he looked like a jackass. Add it to another in his long list of debacles. He's also proactive in firing people without consulting legal and getting sued.

Seriously, check his Wikipedia page. The awards and accomplishments section is a paragraph. The controversy section is pages long.

Barta can be very proactive. He just does it at horrible times. He boldly decided to be the first AD to use the loss of the football season to axe some of the non-rev sports. My schools surely wanted to do it, but they waited it out. Barta wanted to pioneer cleaning house, and he was hammered on nationally for doing so. And of course football happened after all, no one else sounded cutting anything and he looked like a jackass. Add it to another in his long list of debacles. He's also proactive in firing people without consulting legal and getting sued.

Seriously, check his Wikipedia page. The awards and accomplishments section is a paragraph. The controversy section is pages long.
He did seek university council regarding the firing of the two women at the U of I and they green lighted it. He would have been fine to fire Jane Meyer when she went on a foul mouthed epithet regarding Barta and his firing of the field hockey coach, Tracy Griesbalm during a staff meeting. But he chose not too at that moment and it cost the U of I $6 to 8 million? that could of been used to fund the now defunct sports.

Until Barta is gone, I won’t give any money to the U of I for holding women coaches and admins accountable but not the men when they deserve fired for poor coaching like he does the women. He fired the women’s volleyball coach in season yet came out and said he won’t fire a football coach in season, not until the season is over. The man contradicts himself constantly. Just like a politician that thinks people won’t remember what he has done or said previously. I despise the man.

He did seek university council regarding the firing of the two women at the U of I and they green lighted it. He would have been fine to fire Jane Meyer when she went on a foul mouthed epithet regarding Barta and his firing of the field hockey coach, Tracy Griesbalm during a staff meeting. But he chose not too at that moment and it cost the U of I $6 to 8 million? that could of been used to fund the now defunct sports.

Until Barta is gone, I won’t give any money to the U of I for holding women coaches and admins accountable but not the men when they deserve fired for poor coaching like he does the women. He fired the women’s volleyball coach in season yet came out and said he won’t fire a football coach in season, not until the season is over. The man contradicts himself constantly. Just like a politician that thinks people won’t remember what he has done or said previously. I despise the man.
I'll guarantee you if Ferentz goes 17-56, he would be fired mid-season with results like 10-21, 4-16, 3-19. Your comparison is apples and dump trucks.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I'll guarantee you if Ferentz goes 17-56, he would be fired mid-season with results like 10-21, 4-16, 3-19. Your comparison is apples and dump trucks.
So having the worst offense or second to worst offense isn’t a fireable offense? I do when you rank 130 out of 131. Not apples to dump trucks.

And spare me any reasons not to when it has been getting progressively worse year after year. He got five plus years to improve it but didn’t minus the Covid year.

So having the worst offense or second to worst offense isn’t a fireable offense? I do when you rank 130 out of 131. Not apples to dump trucks.

And spare me any reasons not to when it has been getting progressively worse year after year. He got five plus years to improve it but didn’t minus the Covid year.
71-30. Football is a wins and loss business. I couldn't care less how those wins happen.

That was a few years ago so I don't remember the details of the firings, but it cost millions and he is the guy accountable for that. I agree with everything you said. He is a minion for the Ferentz family business but has no problem rocking the boat in every other way possible. He has that SEC attitude of win at all costs with the money sports, and FU to everyone else. Those money sports don't win any championships though.

He literally allows Ferentz and McCaffrey complete autonomy right down to hiring family, but micromanages everything else.

Did Barta fire Zalesky or was that Bowlsby?

You really aren’t that bright !

You really aren’t that bright !
I can see how the offense has gotten worse every year minus the Covid year when you can’t use a partial year to gauge or rank it.

And you are calling me not bright? If I’m not bright, you are a GD idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT