ADVERTISEMENT

Did Matt Gaetz get drunk during today's lunch break?

Arlen Spector's opinion doesn't mean dick. Nor does unnamed scholar's.

That article doesn't mention a word about FORMER presidents. At all.

It gives the specifics on where you can find it and what might happen.

Someone also brought it up about Biden and he could be impeached.

Just admit you were wrong and start another thread.

Reactions: CadetHawk
‘Tis true:

Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution, which says that impeachment may result in “disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States,”
Again, that doesn't say a word about FORMER presidents.

One could keep an impeached President from holding the office of governor, yes. But I dare say they couldn't go back and impeach GW Bush at this date should he announce that he were going to run for the Senate.

I'm not going to admit it.

You are telling me that Congress could impeach a private citizen to keep them from holding office? I find that suspect.

‘Tis true:

Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution, which says that impeachment may result in “disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States,”
Again, that doesn't say a word about FORMER presidents.

One could keep an impeached President from holding the office of governor, yes. But I dare say they couldn't go back and impeach GW Bush at this date should he announce that he were going to run for the Senate.

No, but they could impeach Biden. Bottom line is you were wrong and making shit out of politician who was right.

Reactions: CP84

I'm not going to admit it.

You are telling me that Congress could impeach a private citizen to keep them from holding office? I find that suspect.

JfC can you read? It gave the specifics on where they could do it.

‘Tis true:

No, read the entire clause...the Senate's sole power is "removal" and then barring from serving office ever again. Must have the first before the second.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States; but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law

The answer to the question is, nobody knows. There isn't any precedent for starting impeachment after a person is no longer in office.

Anything beyond "there is no precedence" is just speculation.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
No shit. But what happens when the Senate calls Biden and his son as witnesses?
Well, using your logic, they are both impeached and can't hold office, right?

If they were called and that is a big IF, and something nasty came out, they could then go back to Congress and ask for impeachment.

Is it going to happen, probably not but it would be fun as hell to watch

The answer to the question is, nobody knows. There isn't any precedent for starting impeachment after a person is no longer in office.

True, but I highly doubt trying to impeach a private citizen is going to fly in the courts. But hey, if Drunk Matty wants to try, I'm sure Obama would love to come sit in front of a committee and clown his drunk ass.

But they have to win the majority back first, so don't hold your breath.

That would be correct, and who knows which way it would go.

If they were called and that is a big IF, and something nasty came out, they could then go back to Congress and ask for impeachment.

They would just ignore the subpoenas. You want to hand the Presidency to Biden, go after him like that. I dare republicans to even try.

Reactions: noleclone2

They would just ignore the subpoenas. You want to hand the Presidency to Biden, go after him like that. I dare republicans to even try.

No, the pubs are smarter than that, they know the dems are just burying themselves right now, so they will just let it go on.

That would be correct, and who knows which way it would go.

Matt Gaetz seems to think he does, but a lot like most high profile provocateurs in the House, what he thinks he know's doesn't necessarily have anything to do with reality.

The sh!storm that would ensue if a former POTUS were impeached for anything less than obvious treason would be awful, and would be the height of pettiness.

ADVERTISEMENT