ADVERTISEMENT

Did you attend a public or private school for the majority of your K-12 education? What is the highest level of education you achieved?

Did you attend a public or private school for the majority of your K-12 education? Highest level?

• Total voters

gohawks50

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2010
With all the talk about failing public schools I was interested in which HROT posters received a public or private education. What kind of education did you receive? For purposes of this poll, home schooling would be a private education.

For most of it, on post schools, if they were available. My parents, mom especially, were absolutely adamant that I not go the public schools around the (largely) southern Army installations. And yes, not having on-post high schools did play a part in my dad leaving active duty.

So I graduated from public school in Iowa then went into the Army. While in, I ended up with 2 Bachelors and a Masters.

FTR, my wife went to public school in Iowa (small town) and has a Bachelors, 2 Masters and a Doctorate. And while she doesn't go by "Dr" (it makes her uncomfortable for someone to call her that) she absolutely has the right to be called Dr.

I did one semester each kindergarten, skipped 1st grade after about a month and did 2-8th grade at private Catholic school. It was I think a now dead (in Iowa) model where the largest parishes all supported their own K-8 schools which were much cheaper tuition than Columbus High School. I know they all consolidated in Waterloo, don't know what the financial aid situation is like for students that used to be kinda subsidized by the larger parish. Public high school, in state public university.

Reactions: gohawks50
When attending private undergrad, most of the pre law students first applied to Iowa. Those that couldn't get in went to Drake.

Where's the option for Public/Dropped Out?

Based on a lot of the posts here, I think that option would be very popular.
Public/other

However, that option is also available for those that earned an associates degree or technical degree.

Last edited:
Private Elementary to High School
Private University for Bachelor of Arts Degree
Private University for Masters Degree

When attending private undergrad, most of the pre law students first applied to Iowa. Those that couldn't get in went to Drake.
Fwiw - Drake is still a pretty highly ranked law school. Some states have some bad law schools.
My answer was public/masters.

Private K-12 (my dad taught there so went for free)
Public BS (though 95% of US think it is a private college)
Private MBA.

K-12 public
Public university - BA

no plans to ever go back to school even tho my work will pay 100 percent for my masters.

Public schools 1st grade through 12th grade. Freshman year of college at a small private college, playing soccer; transferred to FSU, where I got my Bachelors.
At the time, FL requirement to sit for the CPA exam was either a Masters or Bachelors + 30 additional hours, of which roughly half had to be in accounting classes. Took those at a a few different schools in the Tampa area -wherever I could find a course that met my needs - some at University of South Florida (public), the others at Florida Southern & St Leo (both private).

While at FSU, quite a few of my fraternity brothers were from private schools (big group of friends who'd gone to private schools in Tampa, Lauderdale, Jacksonville); based on my experiences and interaction with them, I never thought their private school educations were superior to my public school education. Of course, the odds are extremely high that I was simply smarter than them.

Public 5 through 12
Kirkwood for 2 yr Machinist degree
Never would have made it in college.
Every student was told they should go to college back then.
I realized that was not for me with my grades and picked a blue collar trade that was paying well then.

Public/law school, which I'm treating as a masters because any lawyer who calls himself a doctor is an idiot.

That said, I sent my two kids to Catholic parochial schools. For the most part, I was not terribly passionate about it at the time, but in retrospect they were well served academically and I am pleased with their faith formation. But where I really "got" catholic ed was when my son went to Gonzaga HS in DC. Single sex, Jesuit, actually has a homeless men's shelter/soup kitchen in the basement which I think pretty much no other school in the country can say, extremely high end sports but broad offering of programs so everyone got to play and some learned to excel in new things like crew and rugby. Just came out of it as a rigorous academic whose faith was wonderfully well balanced between sound doctrine and justice/mercy.

Public/law school, which I'm treating as a masters because any lawyer who calls himself a doctor is an idiot.

That said, I sent my two kids to Catholic parochial schools. For the most part, I was not terribly passionate about it at the time, but in retrospect they were well served academically and I am pleased with their faith formation. But where I really "got" catholic ed was when my son went to Gonzaga HS in DC. Single sex, Jesuit, actually has a homeless men's shelter/soup kitchen in the basement which I think pretty much no other school in the country can say, extremely high end sports but broad offering of programs so everyone got to play and some learned to excel in new things like crew and rugby. Just came out of it as a rigorous academic whose faith was wonderfully well balanced between sound doctrine and justice/mercy.
You have a doctorate degree. Don't sell yourself short, having a doctorate is something to be proud of even if the degree is not in medicine.

You have a doctorate degree. Don't sell yourself short, having a doctorate is something to be proud of even if the degree is not in medicine.
it's not even the medicine; i wouldn't even hold myself out as a doc to my buddy with the PhD in economics. law school is a three year degree, and really, it has no business being more than a two year degree. it's just not that hard, and there is no capstone project or original research required. law schools are little more than a means for universities to fund medical schools

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
At one time, Drake Law was considered a third tier school. Has it improved?

it's not even the medicine; i wouldn't even hold myself out as a doc to my buddy with the PhD in economics. law school is a three year degree, and really, it has no business being more than a two year degree. it's just not that hard, and there is no capstone project or original research required. law schools are little more than a means for universities to fund medical schools

Maybe at your law school. Mine required a minimum of two written thesis courses and we had three years of practice in legal skills courses where we had fake law firms we worked for with fake clients and large class action cases against the other firms in year three. And that’s not counting ”voluntary” associations like the various bar reviews (which is all original scholarship), trial team etc…

Maybe don’t go to a %*%* law school.

Reactions: littlez
FTR, my wife went to public school in Iowa (small town) and has a Bachelors, 2 Masters and a Doctorate. And while she doesn't go by "Dr" (it makes her uncomfortable for someone to call her that) she absolutely has the right to be called Dr.
Let her know that medical doctors stole the honorific from PhD's to give themselves some cred.

Maybe at your law school. Mine required a minimum of two written thesis courses and we had three years of practice in legal skills courses where we had fake law firms we worked for with fake clients and large class action cases against the other firms in year three. And that’s not counting ”voluntary” associations like the various bar reviews (which is all original scholarship), trial team etc…

Maybe don’t go to a %*%* law school.
Mine was t25 actually. It’s just not that hard

A mix of public and private and govt schools growing up as a military brat. Abandoned my masters when my wife was offered a job and we had the opportunity to leave LA. Was awarded a second bachelors instead.

You’re another new jerk off on here that’s absolutely full of shit.

If you didn’t do original research and worked on large projects/trials while in school then you went to a %*%* school regardless of rankings.
Prepped me just fine thank you very much for a more than satisfactory career. Btw, there really is no such thing as original legal research. If there is one defining facet of legal education, it is to teach you that no idea is valid unless someone has thought of it already.

Private K (mornings)
Public school K-12
Public school undergrad
private school masters

ADVERTISEMENT