ADVERTISEMENT

Did you ever see something and wonder what the hell the story was behind it?

Nole Lou

HR Heisman
Apr 5, 2002
So my high school son got assigned a book to read, and hopped on Amazon and ordered it. I guess he ordered it used from marketplace or something, because we got this in the mail:

20220411-185005.jpg

So, it's been a long time since I've seen someone cover postage for a package with stamps, but whatever. But I'm looking at it and see 20 cent stamps. Sure enough, there's stamps on here from 1982.

Now, I'm not mocking the fact they used valuable collectible stamps to mail a package...it looks like that Jackie Robinson stamp might be worth a buck or two. More than the 20 cents postage they got out of it, but probably not worth the effort to put it on ebay or whatever.

But I'm extremely curious to know exactly what the circumstances are that leads to somebody mailing a package with forty-year old stamps.

Did they inherit a parent's stamp collection, have it appraised, and find out it wasn't worth shit? Old people always thing the stuff they've hoarded is going to be worth something. And so now they were like what the hell, screw you Mom I'll use them?

Or did some teenager dig through some drawers and find their Dad's stamp collection, and use it to mail a book? How much trouble was he in?

Did they just buy a shit load of stamps in the 80s, figuring they'd get a good 10-20 year supply and save trips to the post office, and didn't anticipate the digital age? And now they'll never be able to use them all and their postal value is highly diminished, and now they are super pissed thinking about it every time they mail something? But they're damn sure going to try to get their money's worth.

Did they have a habit in their youth of going batty whenever something they liked was made into a stamp, and were really into Jackie Robinson, Looney Tunes and classic cars? But if so, who the hell has a hard on for libraries?

Maybe they're one of those people that buy storage lockers sight unseen, and got a box of old stamps in it.

I've been pretty tempted to make him Contact Seller and ask what the hell happened that they are using 40 year old stamps. It just seems like there must be some story behind it.

Now, I'm not mocking the fact they used valuable collectible stamps to mail a package...it looks like that Jackie Robinson stamp might be worth a buck or two. More than the 20 cents postage they got out of it, but probably not worth the effort to put it on ebay or whatever.
Had to look. They're being offered for $1.50 - $2.00 so definitely more than the $0.20 postage.

He has to spend a certain amount of money and have nothing to show for it in order to get the big inheritance. Maybe he already owns a baseball team.
I work in government. I use that movie to explain how bureaucracy treats budgets a lot.

So my high school son got assigned a book to read, and hopped on Amazon and ordered it. I guess he ordered it used from marketplace or something, because we got this in the mail:

20220411-185005.jpg

So, it's been a long time since I've seen someone cover postage for a package with stamps, but whatever. But I'm looking at it and see 20 cent stamps. Sure enough, there's stamps on here from 1982.

But I'm extremely curious to know exactly what the circumstances are that leads to somebody mailing a package with forty-year old stamps.

Did they inherit a parent's stamp collection, have it appraised, and find out it wasn't worth shit? Old people always thing the stuff they've hoarded is going to be worth something. And so now they were like what the hell, screw you Mom I'll use them?

Or did some teenager dig through some drawers and find their Dad's stamp collection, and use it to mail a book? How much trouble was he in?

Did they just buy a shit load of stamps in the 80s, figuring they'd get a good 10-20 year supply and save trips to the post office, and didn't anticipate the digital age? And now they'll never be able to use them all and their postal value is highly diminished, and now they are super pissed thinking about it every time they mail something? But they're damn sure going to try to get their money's worth.

Did they have a habit in their youth of going batty whenever something they liked was made into a stamp, and were really into Jackie Robinson, Looney Tunes and classic cars? But if so, who the hell has a hard on for libraries?

Maybe they're one of those people that buy storage lockers sight unseen, and got a box of old stamps in it.

I've been pretty tempted to make him Contact Seller and ask what the hell happened that they are using 40 year old stamps. It just seems like there must be some story behind it.
"fact they used valuable collectible stamps" - not

The husband exchanged the stolen gold for stamps and then mailed them.

Philately has really gone downhill so you can buy batches of unused stamps, including some that are older, for less than face. There just isn't any market for them anymore. If you're willing to spend time sticking them on the envelope you can save a little money.

Reactions: Nole Lou
I got a similar package like that once. Some of them were worth 5ish a piece in resell.

I’m not a stamp collector but I thought it was kind of sad. RIP in peace cool old stamps.

Philately has really gone downhill so you can buy batches of unused stamps, including some that are older, for less than face. There just isn't any market for them anymore. If you're willing to spend time sticking them on the envelope you can save a little money.
Speak for yourself. I find receiving philately a great past time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT