ADVERTISEMENT

Difference b/t MBB and WBB

Hawqize

Rookie
Jun 13, 2020
If this has already been discussed, forgive me and ignore. I don’t usually listen to Colin Cowheard but I did a week or two ago and he said something that made a lot of sense to me. He said “men’s basketball is played vertically while women’s is played horizontally”. Men are bigger, faster and jump higher and they can “jump over defenders”. Women can’t do that and consequently their game is tougher with a lot more contact. Somewhat explains the CC issue—she’s physically unable to “jump over” the defense and she therefore absorbs a lot of contact. Doesn’t explain everything but it is a factor.

If this has already been discussed, forgive me and ignore. I don’t usually listen to Colin Cowheard but I did a week or two ago and he said something that made a lot of sense to me. He said “men’s basketball is played vertically while women’s is played horizontally”. Men are bigger, faster and jump higher and they can “jump over defenders”. Women can’t do that and consequently their game is tougher with a lot more contact. Somewhat explains the CC issue—she’s physically unable to “jump over” the defense and she therefore absorbs a lot of contact. Doesn’t explain everything but it is a factor.
The real reason women's basketball is more tough and has a lot more contact has nothing to do with the game being played horizontally. It's because most women, even elite basketball players are less coordinated because they have fewer fast twitch muscles which means they react slower to changes in direction and movement in general. Clark has more fast twitch muscles than most and that gives her an advantage. So does the woman at USC. Watch most women. When they get the ball, they move in a straight line or in some instances a banana fashion, but rarely do they make quick and precise cuts and moves.

Reactions: Fan In Black
The real reason women's basketball is more tough and has a lot more contact has nothing to do with the game being played horizontally. It's because most women, even elite basketball players are less coordinated because they have fewer fast twitch muscles which means they react slower to changes in direction and movement in general. Clark has more fast twitch muscles than most and that gives her an advantage. So does the woman at USC. Watch most women. When they get the ball, they move in a straight line or in some instances a banana fashion, but rarely do they make quick and precise cuts and moves.
Banana fashion? ;)

I agree with you. Also, men being stronger they are able to absorb the contact and stay on course. Women look for like they've been hit by a truck.

Whatever the reason the W needs to get cleaned up. On Sunday, there were a couple of opportunities to bring harsher penalties to offenders for thuggery but the officials let them off the hook. So, what were there - 6 technicals?

Women’s basketball is more physical because the refs and leagues allow it.

Be a much better game if it was called tighter.

Women’s hockey is less physical with rules enforcing it. Because it would be a shit show without the rules.

Missed bunny shots, Missed layups, airballs, and no ability to catch a pass isn’t something people want to see and the physical play just adds to it.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Basketball was intended to be a no contact sport to me.
Football is designed to be a full contact sport.
Just my opinion.
That's not "just my opinion." That's a simple fact. Basketball was expressly designed to be a game of quickness and finesse. It was specifically designed NOT to be physical in any way, shape, or form. To the degree that the game is played outside those parameters, it is NOT basketball. And that's the problem we have all too often these days. Go back and look at the video from Big Ten games in the 1970s and 1980s. You will barely recognize it compared to so many of today's so-called basketball games.

Back in those days, and before, players had to dribble the ball. They were not allowed to "palm" it and carry it around like a rugby ball. Players played defense with their feet, not with their hands and arms and bodies. Sure, it could get rough in the post at times, but nothing like today where wrestling matches often ensue, ones that would make the Brands brothers proud.

There is no excuse for the thuggery in so many WNBA games. Yes, women's basketball is different than men's for the reasons cited. But that's absolutely no excuse for committing assault and battery on the court. That's no excuse for bodies colliding all over the floor with no fouls called. That's no excuse for any of the so-called "physicality." That term is an oxymoron when used to describe basketball.

I am so sick of announcers and writers talking about how young players "need to get into the weight room." Bullshit. Basketball players should NOT need to lift anything heavier than a basketball. And they never did until maybe the 1990s when strength and conditioning coaches took over sports, including basketball and baseball. Since then, both sports have had injuries pile up like never before.

So when you're looking at those videos from basketball in the 1970s and 80s, also notice the physique of the players. Almost everyone is long and lean. You don't see bulging biceps and huge chests or any other signs of weight training. You see natural bodies of graceful athletes. The powers that be need to bring back real basketball. Eliminating strength and conditioning coaches and enforcing the rules of the game would get it done. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Watching more games this year than ever (zero WNBA before this year), it doesn't seem difficult to block a shot, nobody really gets off the floor. Some just have natural size advantage like Cardoso and Brinks, but it just seems like anybody has a good chance at a block on most players.

Women’s basketball is more physical because the refs and leagues allow it.

Be a much better game if it was called tighter.

Women’s hockey is less physical with rules enforcing it. Because it would be a shit show without the rules.
54e300f5-15b9-44b6-9b19-a6de4e774dc2_text.gif

That's not "just my opinion." That's a simple fact. Basketball was expressly designed to be a game of quickness and finesse. It was specifically designed NOT to be physical in any way, shape, or form. To the degree that the game is played outside those parameters, it is NOT basketball. And that's the problem we have all too often these days. Go back and look at the video from Big Ten games in the 1970s and 1980s. You will barely recognize it compared to so many of today's so-called basketball games.

Back in those days, and before, players had to dribble the ball. They were not allowed to "palm" it and carry it around like a rugby ball. Players played defense with their feet, not with their hands and arms and bodies. Sure, it could get rough in the post at times, but nothing like today where wrestling matches often ensue, ones that would make the Brands brothers proud.

There is no excuse for the thuggery in so many WNBA games. Yes, women's basketball is different than men's for the reasons cited. But that's absolutely no excuse for committing assault and battery on the court. That's no excuse for bodies colliding all over the floor with no fouls called. That's no excuse for any of the so-called "physicality." That term is an oxymoron when used to describe basketball.

I am so sick of announcers and writers talking about how young players "need to get into the weight room." Bullshit. Basketball players should NOT need to lift anything heavier than a basketball. And they never did until maybe the 1990s when strength and conditioning coaches took over sports, including basketball and baseball. Since then, both sports have had injuries pile up like never before.

So when you're looking at those videos from basketball in the 1970s and 80s, also notice the physique of the players. Almost everyone is long and lean. You don't see bulging biceps and huge chests or any other signs of weight training. You see natural bodies of graceful athletes. The powers that be need to bring back real basketball. Eliminating strength and conditioning coaches and enforcing the rules of the game would get it done. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
It was the World War I era French Prime Minister, George Clemenceau, who complained that "generals always prepare to fight the last war, especially if they won it".

Won't argue with anything you said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT