ADVERTISEMENT

Digging into Abe loss

sunshinedynomite

Scout Team
Dec 1, 2014
Clearly got thrown and Dowd got lucky.

What is a worse loss ( team points aside)

8-2 loss or getting thrown to the back and pin.

I actually think this will be good for Abe moving forward, growing through making mistakes and using it as motivation. He should have been bailing out hard know this guy has a greco background, he will not lose to him again.
As far as seeding we will see, but Im not sure it will change much and how he rebounds the next 4 matches is what will count more.

I actually think this will be good for Abe moving forward, growing through making mistakes and using it as motivation. He should have been bailing out hard know this guy has a greco background, he will not lose to him again.
As far as seeding we will see, but Im not sure it will change much and how he rebounds the next 4 matches is what will count more.
He'll be a dog or toss up in all of them. Anything short of 3-1 isn't good.

Reactions: hlstone and el dub
He'll be a dog or toss up in all of them. Anything short of 3-1 isn't good.
I favor him in every match except vs Brooks all are extremely winnable. Dont misjudge how he has been wrestling based on this last match, he made a mistake in judgement and got caught. Making no excuses, but He would have won that match if not for the quickest pinfall call I have every seen in folkstyle.

Last edited:
I favor him in every match except vs Brooks all are extremely winnable. Dont misjudge how he has been wrestling based on this last match, he made a mistake in judgement and got caught. Making no excuses He would have won that match if not for the quickest pinfall call I have every seen in folkstyle.
Abe is now ranked 12 and has 1, 8, 10, 11 upcoming.

Lace I Dont Believe You GIF by ALLBLK

I know what the rankings show, I stand by what I said. He will give Brooks a tough match and win the other 3.
I agree I think he will win all but the Brooks match. I just don't anticipate that one being any closer than say 9-3 for Brooks.

Reactions: Grip220
Abe goes 3-1 and I am all in for him come march, 2-2 and ok still could AA, 1-3 and that’ll be worrisome. Just hoping to see Abe solidity his spot in the conversation to make the podium.

I agree I think he will win all but the Brooks match. I just don't anticipate that one being any closer than say 9-3 for Brooks.
Yeah , almost exactly what was thinking. He has been wrestling extremely solid, I think he can open up even more and needs to stay out of those dangerous positions unless it’s necessary. Like I stated earlier, I believe this stokes the fire.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
Better now than in March for sure.

Reactions: Grip220
Clearly got thrown and Dowd got lucky.

What is a worse loss ( team points aside)

8-2 loss or getting thrown to the back and pin.

8-2 you pretty much got dominated.

Thrown for a bs pin? Sucks but you didn't get "dominated".

Sometimes the better wrestler loses. It happens.

Although I hated to see Assad get stuck, I was immediately thinking, "This is why wrestling is the greatest sport in the world". When the whistle blows, rankings mean nothing and you better be ready for 7 minutes.

Reactions: MilleGinja
He could go 1-3 or 0-4 also. He looked stronger and in better conditioned this year but is very inconsistent. I had high hopes when he became a Hawk but not so much any more.
Abe got tossed and pinned in a match where he clearly should have smoked the guy. After the Nebraska match, many were thinking Abe has a pretty decent chance to AA. He is a talented wrestler and has looked very good this year outside of one stupid decision (going upper body with the Greco guy). I’m not ready to throw in the towel yet.

Reactions: natchrlman
How much of Abe's loss was on coaching and match preparation? Do you think the coaches and scouting reports said this guy wants to throw? Stay the heck out of upper body ties! Or was it just something that he didn't pay attention to and wasn't listening to the coaching he was receiving. When wrestling a greco guy you want to be very careful going up in their wheelhouse. I would have to think there was some discussion of this prior to the match. Or is the Iowa way of "we don't care what you do we impose our will" the thought process. I am want the Paul Harvey approach. I want the know the Rest of the Story.

Reactions: el dub
Umm...didn't both finish below expectations last year?
Sure and most guys are going to have a bad match in their careers. One fun thing about wresting is that just about anything can happen at anytime. I guy can be losing 14-0 and pin the other guy not something that has a lot of equivalent in other sports. If I guy was losing 14-0 though at got the pin I would not take him as the favorite the next 10 times those guys wrestled. I don't any of these pins was an exposure of any of these wrestlers talents or abilities.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
It burns me every time I see the "fall."
In Freestyle or Greco it clearly would be a touch fall, but a quick roll through does not meet the 1 second criteria in college.
2) I can't fuss too much because Assad could have kept high bridging and pushed off the mat for a re-start. That would have been of value for him - to fight back from being in a hole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT