ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Dillon Doyle commits to Iowa

Apr 8, 2003
Dillon Doyle commits to Iowa
Blair Sanderson | Editor

paw9if9glfkbudaw0mok

Iowa City West linebacker Dillon Doyle committed to the Hawkeyes today.

After calling his scholarship offer from Iowa a dream come true, Dillon Doyle decided there is nowhere else he could imagine playing college football. Today, the 6-foot-2, 215-pound linebacker from Iowa City West officially gave his commitment to the Hawkeyes in a meeting with Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz.

"I told Coach Ferentz this morning that I am ready to commit and that I want to be a Hawkeye," said Doyle. "Everyone was excited on both ends. I don't believe there's a better fit for me in all of FBS football."

Along with Iowa, Doyle held early offers from Central Florida, Northern Illinois, and South Dakota. The Class of 2018 prospect, whose father is longtime Iowa strength coach Chris Doyle, also had an opportunity at Harvard, where his older brother currently wrestles, and had a chance to evaluate that option over spring break this month.

"I just needed a little time to think it all out and sit down with my family to make the right decision," Doyle said. "It wasn't like I was shopping myself around to other teams. I wanted to make sure I was okay turning down a Harvard education in order to play Big Ten football, and I am."

Doyle is the third recruit to verbally commit to the Hawkeyes in the Class of 2018, joining Wisconsin linebacker Mike Bruner and Illinois offensive lineman Jeff Jenkins.

As a junior, Doyle finished with 85 tackles and 8.5 TFL as an outside linebacker for Iowa City West to go along with 12 catches for 152 yards and three touchdowns as a tight end on offense. Iowa currently projects him on defense in college.

See highlights from Doyle's junior year at Iowa City West in the video below.

Has anyone seen him play? Is he a legit recruit or is this a nod to dad from KF?
Just the highlights but those hardly tell the whole story, but he has received offers from Northern Illinois, South Dakota, and Central Florida.

He looks really small in that photo (not the one against Gallery, but the one in the OP). Oh well, I'm sure he'll bulk up with a few years under Coach Doyle?

It's kind of tough to determine if he would have more offers since my guess is most other coaches will probably assume he will go to Iowa. Kind of like fran mccaffery's son, Isn't he a 4* but I don't think he has many offers. I am sure it was always assumed he would be a Hawkeye.

Just from the highlight video, he plays heads up, looks fast, great tackler, gets off of blocks, flies to the ball. He's the next AJ Edds ;)

He looks really small in that photo (not the one against Gallery, but the one in the OP). Oh well, I'm sure he'll bulk up with a few years under Coach Doyle?

He is a junior in high school, age 16 or 17. 6ft3 214 isn't "small" by any means for a young and developing kid who is still a year and a half away from his first college football game and perhaps 2 1/2 years from eligibility (assuming a redshirt). In any event, I'm guessing it would be fairly easy to add 10-15 pounds in the next 17 months. At his stage of his development, given the period of time until enrollment, I would be surprised if he arrived at Iowa weighing less than 225 as a true freshman. His dad will probably make sure that it is lean weight gain. Right on track.

It is kind of interesting how perspectives on body weight have changed over the years. When 22 year old Muhammad Ali won the world heavyweight boxing championship in 1964 he weighed 210lbs at 6ft3 - the same height as Dillon Doyle but 4 pounds lighter! In that fight, Ali beat Sonny Liston, nicknamed "Big Bear" who weighed-in at 6ft1 218lbs - now considered by most to be a "small" LB by today's college football standards.

Does anyone know how fast he is? Much rather have speed with "Pop" than weight and chase.

Must have really seen something in him to offer so quickly. Normally the 4th rated OLB in Iowa has to wait for a fallback offer.

Must have really seen something in him to offer so quickly. Normally the 4th rated OLB in Iowa has to wait for a fallback offer.
I'm pretty sure the Iowa coaches do not rely upon (or even check) commercial rankings when they are evaluating a prospect.

Reactions: ichawk24
ratings are just some guys opinions, another site has him the 3rd ranked prospect in the state and around 500 Nationally . The kid grew up around the team , he wont have the typical Freshman learning curve and obviously is way ahead in the training department of a normal incoming Freshman . I would bet He does well as a Hawkeye.

ratings are just some guys opinions, another site has him the 3rd ranked prospect in the state and around 500 Nationally . The kid grew up around the team , he wont have the typical Freshman learning curve and obviously is way ahead in the training department of a normal incoming Freshman . I would bet He does well as a Hawkeye.
He'll certainly be a 4 year starter. Just a tremendous talent. We are lucky to have him. Certainly.

Tell me, when has Iowa made a mistake in offering a scholarship to the son of a staff member? All the ones I can think of were multi-year starters.
Lets not muddy the discussion with facts! Coaches kids generally make good recruits because they buy in 100% to the program. This is very important in a developmental program like Iowa or Wisconsin.

Coach Doyle and his wife Tia have raised 3 outstanding young men. Having Dillon join the program is an asset to Iowa Football. Declan is now in the program and will work himself up the ranks. Last I heard was Donavan had issues with his shoulders so I'm not sure what the future is at Harvard and his wrestling career. My kids went to junior high and the West with them and you won't find better young men than these guys.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT