ADVERTISEMENT

Dinner at Costco

At Sam's in Ankeny, their rotisserie chicken sales have exploded. I was there one day and there was a line about 30 people long and I had no idea what it was for. I asked and they said they were waiting for the rotisserie chickens to be done and put out. When they are done they are all pretty much taken. It is a great value and a loss leader, but it didn't use to be this way. I guess it might make sense for restaurants now with inflation, but as a customer I would be disappointed to learn that they didn't make their own chicken. Maybe I'm naïve though.

If I was getting a half chicken at a restaurant or something, sure, i'd be disappointed. From the health safety perspective of reselling another kitchen's food, i would like some kind of disclosure. But from a Mexican soup perspective, I'm ok with it

You're nutz! The Costco $1.50 hot dog/soda is the best "fast food" buy in America!
During a luncheon at the time, the company’s current CEO, W. Craig Jelinek, said he once told Sinegal they needed to raise the price of the iconic $1.50 hot dog and soda combo — which reportedly has not gone up in price since the 1980s.
“I came to (Sinegal) once and I said, ‘Jim, we can’t sell this hot dog for a buck fifty," Jelineck said, according to 425 Business. "We are losing our rear ends.’ And he said, ‘If you raise (the price of the) effing hot dog, I will kill you. Figure it out.’ That’s all I really needed."

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
I fully admit the highlight of any trip to Costco for me is the hot dog at the end.

It reminds me of being a little kid and mom and dad would drag me around doing dumb errands, but would stop and get McDonalds or some other treat for me as a reward for patience.

This probably also explains why I am chubby. :)

Shouldn't you get one on the way in to see if you're going to enjoy the one on the way out of the store?

Back before the doctors cut me off from encased meats, I would get one before walking around 7-11 to get a soda to see if i wanted one for the ride to the course

Reactions: torbee
They rotate through a good selection of stuff. And, to be clear, we are talking about packaged and shipped in by a manufacturer, not something they do on site. I get several each time I visit the store and use them for meals at work, usually.
We had the burnt ends last night. Obviously not as good as a bbq restaurant or experienced at home bbq expert but in a pinch they are solid.

For the Costco regulars who have the Citi Costco Visa they are dropping the extended warranty coverage in January. This was a big selling point for me when buying electronic, appliances etc.

I fully admit the highlight of any trip to Costco for me is the hot dog at the end.

It reminds me of being a little kid and mom and dad would drag me around doing dumb errands, but would stop and get McDonalds or some other treat for me as a reward for patience.

It’s like a reward

Just finished mine right now! My bride “rewarded me” for my patience and advice of the AM power shopping tour at the “new” Von Mayer…helps her get rid of the post-election blues. Tasty dog, as usual.

michael-scott-the-office.gif

During a luncheon at the time, the company’s current CEO, W. Craig Jelinek, said he once told Sinegal they needed to raise the price of the iconic $1.50 hot dog and soda combo — which reportedly has not gone up in price since the 1980s.
“I came to (Sinegal) once and I said, ‘Jim, we can’t sell this hot dog for a buck fifty," Jelineck said, according to 425 Business. "We are losing our rear ends.’ And he said, ‘If you raise (the price of the) effing hot dog, I will kill you. Figure it out.’ That’s all I really needed."
That appears to be the definition of a hostile work environment, violence at the workplace, or some form of HR issue.

You're nutz! The Costco $1.50 hot dog/soda is the best "fast food" buy in America!
Cut out early to finish the day at home, and popped into the Ankeny Costco. Holy shit is it huge. I read it was the biggest one in the midwest and I believe it. On the way I out I grabbed a hot dog and it lived up to expectations! csb

Last edited:
Damn. Hit the Costco in Gilbert today. It was like Thanksgiving morning and the day before an IA blizzard combined.
They were out of eggs. We did not hit the food court but took home a rotisserie.

Living the American Dream. You da man.
I will have lived the American dream when later this month I return to get some of the $100/lb Wagyu ribeye for my son's birthday, reverse sear it, and wash it down with a nice cab.

We hit Costco today and of course I had to grab the hotdog and drink deal but I noticed they had a double chocolate chip cookie.

I guess they finally got rid of the crappy churros and replaced them with the cookies

They are really really good, served warm 🍪
Love their ice cream.

I had to make the Costco run tonight - I couldn’t believe how packed the food court thingy was on a rando Tuesday! 4:45pm and every table was full with people shoving down $1.50 hot dogs, pizza slices, those chicken bake things, and churros. Most didn’t seem to have a cart with them meaning they either didn’t plan to shop or hadn’t gone yet. Ages ranged from teens / 20’s to retirees.

Is this common? The no pics wife usually does the shopping so I don’t see it regularly. I got fatter just walking by.
Cheap dinner. Easy to eat quick then shop afterwards.

Caesar salad with chicken is a decently healthy option, and they give you enough for two people.

Don’t grab food at the food court because it is always too packed but I always get one of the 25 cent bottle waters for ride home.

How are the pizzas? I see a lot of folks get those.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT