ADVERTISEMENT

Dirty John's

But I suppose the more important question is was it Rocky Rococo's?

img-5800_orig.jpg

Hijacking my own thread, when you were growing up did Pete's Blue Diamond frozen pizza distribution network make its way to mad town? We fond memories of that and Ting soda growing up.
That sounds familiar, I can almost see the package in my head.

Pizza Pit was the biggie in Madison at the time.

TBH, pizza in Madison in the 70s and 80s was pretty bad.

Reactions: Tenacious E
When I was a freshman, I had a fake ID (Bud Fox, from Boulder, CO), a lot of the bouncers and bartenders at SpoCo were City High guys so it was never an issue getting in and served.

However, a friend and former Iowa TE decided to make his own "SpoCo" stamp, it actually looked pretty close to the real thing. I had no use for it, but decided I might as well partake. Got us in, but at some point a manager noticed that it was slightly off, figured out what happened and sent us packing.

This is jogging so many memories, lots blurry. I was a party to both of James Ferentz's run ins with the law.... he REALLY settled down after the second one.

I'm also eskimo brothers with Riley Reiff via the gal he was caught banging in an alley before he took the police on a foot chase during his visit.

Got a case of beer at Dirty John's once for $3. Some brewery that went out of business. Some shady looking guy behind us the checkout line pointed it out to us, had a case of the good stuff (Miller Ice) that we immediately put back. Grabbed the clearance beer and couple of cigars. We all pounded down the case, hit Jake's and well that's as far I recall. Next morning was brutal though.

What I wouldn't give for one week back in college, starting off the weekend with 80's night at the Union followed by comedy night at Jakes, flip night at the liner, cup night at the Que, ending it with Monday night football at the Column.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
One of my saddest moments in college was when I showed the bartender my ID on my 21st birthday in order to get my 21 pitchers. He'd been serving me without question since I was 19 so it was like I killed his dog or something. Apparently, my fake was really good and I went to Jake's far too often.
It’s always easier to ask for forgiveness, though. Good play.

It’s always easier to ask for forgiveness, though. Good play.

my roommate and I had names for the regulars that we made fun of failing to recognize that made us regulars. So many fun memories from that bar. I bet there are a lot of fun times that I don't remember.

Reactions: hawkmart
Got a case of beer at Dirty John's once for $3. Some brewery that went out of business. Some shady looking guy behind us the checkout line pointed it out to us, had a case of the good stuff (Miller Ice) that we immediately put back. Grabbed the clearance beer and couple of cigars. We all pounded down the case, hit Jake's and well that's as far I recall. Next morning was brutal though.

What I wouldn't give for one week back in college, starting off the weekend with 80's night at the Union followed by comedy night at Jakes, flip night at the liner, cup night at the Que, ending it with Monday night football at the Column.
And the original 2 pound burrito from Panchero's before they sold out. And some quesadillas.

Last edited:
my roommate and I had names for the regulars that we made fun of failing to recognize that made us regulars. So many fun memories from that bar. I bet there are a lot of fun times that I don't remember.

I worked about 6 months as a table jockey at Joe’s....They just opened up “ the game room” to the east, and just purchased a liquor license to serve wine....it was all beer, wine and wine coolers back in 1970....Those friggin’ Badgers could drink some beer.....”Greaser” was the head barkeep...he had a MA in Eng Lit and working on his PhD...and my mom was worried I was working in a no class joint! I believe Dan Berry was the owner...and a helluva good guy, too. Damn..a long time ago!

And if we're going back in time I'd go to Fitzy's for their chicago-style pizza, wings, and the wheat beer. All consumed in their beer garden.

This damn glorious thread makes me want to go down and hit up SpoCo right now.

It is nowhere close to the bar that it was when it had the basketball hoop in the back. I was, at best, a decent player back in the day and could hold my own in pick up games at the Fieldhouse but I was a very good FT shooter. Many nights at Sports Column from '86 to '90 where I not only drank for free but gave away pitchers to others. Loved that place.

Not to mention that they had one waitress working there at the time who was, IMO, one of the most beautiful women that I had ever seen. We referred to her as The Sports Column Goddess.

On a more somber note, we referred to this quiet, loner guy who stood next to the wall in the back (by the dart boards) as "The Sipper." He hugged a pitcher of beer with one arm and sipped out of a beer glass. He was there quite frequently.

Turned out to be Gang Lu.

It is nowhere close to the bar that it was when it had the basketball hoop in the back. I was, at best, a decent player back in the day and could hold my own in pick up games at the Fieldhouse but I was a very good FT shooter. Many nights at Sports Column from '86 to '90 where I not only drank for free but gave away pitchers to others. Loved that place.

Not to mention that they had one waitress working there at the time who was, IMO, one of the most beautiful women that I had ever seen. We referred to her as The Sports Column Goddess.

On a more somber note, we referred to this quiet, loner guy who stood next to the wall in the back (by the dart boards) as "The Sipper." He hugged a pitcher of beer with one arm and sipped out of a beer glass. He was there quite frequently.

Turned out to be Gang Lu.
Jesus. We've touched a lot of bases here today.

This damn glorious thread makes me want to go down and hit up SpoCo right now.

This is probably the best thread of 2019 HROT for anyone that went to Iowa. I'm sure it will continue. There are plenty of offenses that have passed the statute of limitations.

And the original 2 pound burrito from Ponchero's before they sold out. And some quesadillas.

The 2 pounder was only something I could accomplish in my teens. Today, I would be in the hospital;)

One of my saddest moments in college was when I showed the bartender my ID on my 21st birthday in order to get my 21 pitchers. He'd been serving me without question since I was 19 so it was like I killed his dog or something. Apparently, my fake was really good and I went to Jake's far too often.

I bounced at College St. Club in 1987 and 1988. Far easier to get into that place with a fake for women than it was for men.

Reactions: SeattleHawki
And if we're going back in time I'd go to Fitzy's for their chicago-style pizza, wings, and the wheat beer. All consumed in their beer garden.
A stop at Tuck's Place would be good too. 25 cent draws of Hamm's between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. and all the Hank Williams, Patsy Cline and Waylon Jennings you wanted to hear for 25 cents a play.

You could get shitfaced and crying in your beer to outlaw country before 5 p.m. for around $7!

There was a bar on the north-side of down town, The Fox? It would be on my way home late on north Gilbert. For some reason, I always felt like I was going to be raped when I went to the bathroom at 1:45 a.m. Man, Woman, Donkey, you name it. I just felt lucky to get home. But I got that last shot of something that I didn't need.

Speaking of Iowa City goddesses - and I think I've told this story before - but when Pearson's Drug was still on the corner of Market and Linn streets back in the early 1990s, it still had a functioning lunch counter in the back.

@bladel and I would go get sandwiches and milkshakes from there about once a week, not because the food was good, but because one of the counter waitresses was featured in (I think the 1993?) issue of Playboy's Girls of the Big 10.

She was DROP DEAD gorgeous.

We'd peruse our well-worn copy of said magazine, then hottail it down to Pearson's (no doubt at half-chub) and sit and order from her while grinning like pathetic morons, knowing what she had hiding under that waitress apron.

There was a bar on the north-side of down town, The Fox? It would be on my way home late on north Gilbert. For some reason, I always felt like I was going to be raped when I went to the bathroom at 1:45 a.m. Man, Woman, Donkey, you name it. I just felt lucky to get home. But I got that last shot of something that I didn't need.

Dave's Foxhead. Can see it from my office window, lol. Great place.

iowa75-4.jpg

Something tells me you two weren’t the only ones doing that...
Dude, the day we made the connection was glorious.

We already knew about the "hot chick" that worked at Pearson's - but we NEVER thought we'd get to see her sweater puppets until the fateful day one of was leafing through the Girl's of the Big 10 issue and there she was.

It was like living out that J. Geils Band song. :)

Reactions: Tenacious E

I was at Iowa from 1990-1998 so I can relate to just about every bar story in this thread. I remember going to "silver coin night" at the Field House. You had to be there before 9 but could get a draw for any silver coin. We would show up at 8:30 and spend $1 for 20 beers. I remember having an entire table completely covered in 10 oz plastic cups of beer. Freshman and Sophomore year was pretty much all Field House or Vito's. Then the Column, Airliner, Jake's, Union, Mickey's, etc. I'm pretty sure I left a mark in every bar in Iowa City over those 8 years. Man, I miss college.

I met my first college girlfriend at RT's. I met my wife at 80's night at the Union in May of 1995. Our first date was at Fitzy's and then to the Vine. Good times.

To the post above with the Girls of the Big 10 Playboy issue...It came out in October 1991. I was living in Rienow (3rd Floor) and that magazine was one of the greatest bonding moments for our floor.

Like Birch's story, I had my brother's ID from the second I arrived on campus. I went to the Field House so often that I got to know the bouncer (Hatchet Jack) well enough that I stopped getting ID'd. I ended up stopping by the Field House on my 21st birthday and told Jack that it was my 21st birthday. He was like "WTF?"

I could write a novel reminiscing about Iowa City and the great times there.

A stop at Tuck's Place would be good too. 25 cent draws of Hamm's between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. and all the Hank Williams, Patsy Cline and Waylon Jennings you wanted to hear for 25 cents a play.

You could get shitfaced and crying in your beer to outlaw country before 5 p.m. for around $7!

Yeah, Tuck's was a cheap drunk.

On the down side, the entire place was barely large enough to wield a pool cue in the back room. Pretty sure I've stayed in hotel rooms with more square footage than Tuck's.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Yeah, Tuck's was a cheap drunk.

In 1980 I don't remember dirty magazines in Dirty John's, but it seems the least expensive six-pack in IC was Black Label at John's. Dave's Foxhead had Buddha behind the bar. As students we rarely went to Hamburg Inn #2, when we did it was for a hung over breakfast. Decades later I can say I've never had a hamburger there. Maybe they are great.

George's had smallish hamburgers that would soak up some of a hangover. I was there the morning before the Minnesota game, they still do the trick.

My favorite Tucks memory was being there on tax day, which also happened to be the birthday of regular customer, Clarence. Went three years in a row to celebrate his 77th, 78th, and 79th birthdays. Great fun.

Reactions: torbee
My favorite Tucks memory was being there on tax day, which also happened to be the birthday of regular customer, Clarence. Went three years in a row to celebrate his 77th, 78th, and 79th birthdays. Great fun.
All kinds of townie lore and history in this thread!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT