ADVERTISEMENT

Dish Network Or Direct TV?

Between the two....DirecTV by far.

But......I would go youtubetv instead,

Reactions: kkhawk
Which and why? Which package is best? Was looking at the one from Direct that costs $60 as a promo rate.

You’ll pay far more the second year with Direct. Direct’s price significantly goes up after the first year while Dish’s stays the same.

Dish hands down is the best option price wise. I get all the Cardinals/ Cubs / Brewers / Royals games. Record them on DVR and keep them as long as I want without deleting. You can’t have just one remote (as far as I know), but the Hopper is a whole home DVR and records six programs at once.

$83 a month with a Hopper DVR and two additional joeys. Top 200 with sports pack and Starz. Locked in for two years.

Dish’s customer service is second to none.

Reactions: hawkssox1
You’ll pay far more the second year with Direct. Direct’s price significantly goes up after the first year while Dish’s stays the same.

Dish hands down is the best option price wise. I get all the Cardinals/ Cubs / Brewers / Royals games. Record them on DVR and keep them as long as I want without deleting. You can’t have just one remote (as far as I know), but the Hopper is a whole home DVR and records six programs at once.

$83 a month with a Hopper DVR and two additional joeys. Top 200 with sports pack and Starz. Locked in for two years.

How much does Direct go up?

How much does Direct go up?

This was about six or seven years ago when I checked into Direct, but it was around $90. It was about $15 more than I was paying at the time with Dish. This doesn’t include another increase for the third year (assuming you don’t renegotiate).

This was about six or seven years ago when I checked into Direct, but it was around $90. It was about $15 more than I was paying at the time with Dish. This doesn’t include another increase for the third year (assuming you don’t renegotiate).

It does say the special rate is 12 months.

Dish has (or had, maybe it’s changed) much better hardware. Whole house DVR with Dish is very nice. I’m sure we could make do with different services like YouTube tv or other cord cutting services but the Dish certainly offers convenience with the whole home DVR. I can watch things from it anywhere, from any tv or from anywhere with my phone if I choose. I know directTV has something similar but when I researched it it was head and shoulders better with dish.

That being said, I’m paying a premium for that convenience and I don’t watch normal tv all that often with the exception of sports. It’s worth it to me but may not be worth it to someone else. Dish did seem cheaper than directTV when I got it a few years ago. DirectTV seems to live off its NFL Sunday ticket. If you want Sunday ticket you’ll need directTV.

It does say the special rate is 12 months.

1st 12 months - one price
Months 13-24 - another price
Months 25 on - another price

Ive always had good luck with Dish. Every time I call them about a price, they offer pretty much whatever I feel like paying. Sometimes when you get pissy with them or threaten to leave, they’ll throw in HBO or Showtime for three or six months. I’ve had the Red Zone the last two years and have paid a dime.

Dish doesn’t have HBO right now (dispute), but the Redzone is awesome for fantasy football. Not sure if it’s exclusive to Dish. I’ve been a pretty happy Dish customer for 17 years.

Reactions: AD1515
Dish has (or had, maybe it’s changed) much better hardware. Whole house DVR with Dish is very nice. I’m sure we could make do with different services like YouTube tv or other cord cutting services but the Dish certainly offers convenience with the whole home DVR. I can watch things from it anywhere, from any tv or from anywhere with my phone if I choose. I know directTV has something similar but when I researched it it was head and shoulders better with dish.

That being said, I’m paying a premium for that convenience and I don’t watch normal tv all that often with the exception of sports. It’s worth it to me but may not be worth it to someone else. Dish did seem cheaper than directTV when I got it a few years ago. DirectTV seems to live off its NFL Sunday ticket. If you want Sunday ticket you’ll need directTV.

I think you can get the Sunday Ticket almost anywhere these days. PS4, Xbox etc....

And it's still $10 a month more than YouTube TV normal price.

You do know they aren’t the same thing, right? I’m mean go for it, I’m all for people wanting internet-based-tv, but one should understand they aren’t identical services.

True, I can watch YouTube TV when it rains.

I can watch Dish when the crappy Mediacom is out (once a month).

Dish is out far less than the Internet and it’s not even close. We’re talking 10-15 minutes twice a summer vs 6-8 hours once or twice a month.

I can watch Dish when the crappy Mediacom is out (once a month).

Dish is out far less than the Internet and it’s not even close. We’re talking 10-15 minutes twice a summer vs 6-8 hours once or twice a month.
Yeah, I just don't have that problem. I also don't miss needing to trim branches from the neighbor's tree anymore.

Yeah, I just don't have that problem. I also don't miss needing to trim branches from the neighbor's tree anymore.

Sounds like you had a pretty bad installation. I had that at my old house, but once I had a new dish installed and proper wiring inside the home the problems were slim.

Where I live now, there’s not a lot of developed or large trees with a clear path to the SW sky. The reception had been fantastic. If/when the satellite goes out, which is very rare I can go to the DVR, on demand, or Netflix. The satellite going out has not been a concern for at least five or six years.

I have had both. Started with dish in my first house. Bill was consistent and customer service was great! When we bought our new house dish didn’t give any great deals to stay with them so I tried direct tv. For the first 3 months the bill was fine. It was a mess after and I ended calling each time. They fixed it but it was such a headache and I got fed up with it. The second year was quite a bit higher as well. I switched back to Dish and life has been good again.

Sounds like you had a pretty bad installation. I had that at my old house, but once I had a new dish installed and proper wiring inside the home the problems were slim.

Where I live now, there’s not a lot of developed or large trees with a clear path to the SW sky. The reception had been fantastic. If/when the satellite goes out, which is very rare I can go to the DVR, on demand, or Netflix. The satellite going out has not been a concern for at least five or six years.
Even AT&T knows it's a dead service walking. They are preparing to move subscribers to DirectV Now streaming devices. If you're happy with your service that's great, I've found a service that works better for me.

Even AT&T knows it's a dead service walking. They are preparing to move subscribers to DirectV Now streaming devices. If you're happy with your service that's great, I've found a service that works better for me.

I’m not sure Id call it a dead service walking making 3.19 billion in a quarter and a fortune 250 company (Dish Network alone). They are certainly losing customers to cord cutters, but that doesn’t mean death by any means. Directv Now is just AT&T’s way of tapping into that market, not conceding as they still have everything with their dish service. As pointed out above, streaming and satellite are two different services.

I’m glad that you found a service that works. I tried PSVue and didn’t really care for it. Even though I’d save around $400+ a year, with more TVs, the quality and convenience of Dish was worth the extra money. Who knows, I may give the PSVue another shot someday.

Last edited:
I’m not sure Id call it a dead service walking making 3.19 billion in a quarter and a fortune 250 company (Dish Network alone). They are certainly losing customers to cord cutters, but that doesn’t mean death by any means. Directv Now is just AT&T’s way of tapping into that market, not conceding as they still have everything with their dish service. As pointed out above, streaming and satellite are two different services.

I’m glad that you found a service that works. I tried PSVue and didn’t really care for it. Even though I’d save around $400+ a year, with more TVs, the quality and convenience of Dish was worth the extra money. Who knows, I may give the PSVue another shot someday.
That dish needs to point to something.

https://awfulannouncing.com/tech/we...he-end-for-the-directv-satellite-service.html

You must be getting targeted by different feeds. No pole vault girl in mine. Do you do lots of searches for long poles? :)

Quite possibly. Pole vault girl is amazing.

36oksv.jpg

Reactions: Gimmered

And then unsubtly telling people your opinion of your service is right.

Can I get all the Cardinal games live on youtube, record them and only have one remote control? Serious question as DTV has been shitting on us since ATT and before. Missing several stations now that they are feuding with. No compensation after being on hold for over an hour.
It appears you live in Johnson county. If so then yes, you will get Fox Sports Midwest. YouTube TV has unlimited cloud dvr storage.

As for the remote, it depends. YouTube TV doesn’t require its own remote. I have an older tv, so I use a Roku stick. The Roku remote can be programmed to control the power and volume of most TVs. If you have a smart tv you would use the same remote you use for everything else.

You read that and assumed that service would simply be DTVNow, which isn’t what the article said.
Not really, they are already beta testing streaming boxes that offer the same packages as their dish packages but through internet services.
No satellite dish to install, no service men. It's just a very similar service to DTVNow and AT&T Watch.

Not really, they are already beta testing streaming boxes that offer the same packages as their dish packages but through internet services.
No satellite dish to install, no service men. It's just a very similar service to DTVNow and AT&T Watch.

Yes, they are so “very similar” that they are spending millions and years making sure that a service they already offer works the way they already offer it...

Or, you know, it won’t be the same.

Yes, they are so “very similar” that they are spending millions and years making sure that a service they already offer works the way they already offer it...

Or, you know, it won’t be the same.
Yes they are using the DTVNow grid, and are using Android TV boxes, it will come Via your home internet, that you have to provide, require no dish, no service truck, no service guy, so it will be totally different than DTVNow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT