ADVERTISEMENT

Dismantling Anti-Fat Bias

I don't mind people like her in the sense that it's interesting to hear what people like her have to say sometimes. I start wondering about an outlet when in aggregate we have lots of her type of opinions being featured. (and if countering viewpoints are less often or never featured)

Reactions: praguehawk
deal-with-it-sliding.gif

I'm seasonally overweight right now. But given the weather now, I bet I lose 15 lbs in the next month. Headphone and walking

You do know you can make up your own mind from an interview, and that NPR doesn't have to take the side of everyone that is interviewed.
Take their side?

I'm commenting about the lack of pushback. It's common on NPR. They often don't push back and they simply don't endeavor to be balanced.

It is fascinating that we just got done with a few years of a virus that was more likely to kill unhealthy people by continuing this crap that it’s ok to be unhealthy without judgment. Sorry fatty, take a walk instead of reaching for the cheese
Hey…leave cheese out of this.

I feel like I heard a lot of those exact same talking points when Michelle Obama was trying to improve the nutritional value of school lunches.

I'm sure that can't be the case, though.
There are similarities…equally nutty

Fun fact, Fresh Air debuted in 1975, and is a great program. This might have been a clunker.
Some of the issues addressed are real. Take note that there are some very unlikely alliances forming to ban Tik Tok, and other social media platforms, usage by teens. Those platforms promote a lot of hate against overweight people/teens.
It’s possible to not be mean to fat people and still point out it’s not healthy to be obese.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
And NPR receives public funding.
Some, but probably not as much as you think. Less than 10% of their revenue comes from the government. Most of it comes from corporate sponsors, private donations, and licensing fees paid by the local stations, which generally are owned by non-profit organizations such as colleges.

The airplane thing is absurd to me. I promise you the economist at the airline doesn’t view anyone as a person. You’re a meat sack of a certain size and weight…with luggage.

Some, but probably not as much as you think. Less than 10% of their revenue comes from the government. Most of it comes from corporate sponsors, private donations, and licensing fees paid by the local stations, which generally are owned by non-profit organizations such as colleges.

But the local stations also get government grants and other funding, which they use to pay NPR for the national shows.

So direct federal funding to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is a misleading number.

It’s possible to not be mean to fat people and still point out it’s not healthy to be obese.

People like me who were fat, but are less so now are especially ruthless to the fatties.

Their employers should underwrite them for health insurance and make them pay more premium if they fail metabolic risk factors.

But the local stations also get government grants and other funding, which they use to pay NPR for the national shows.

So direct federal funding to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is a misleading number.
Even so, it’s nowhere near what it was 40-50 years ago.

According to her telling people to eat healthy food is a form of oppression. We should embrace unhealthy food... if folks want to shove it down their throats....mentioning it is a form of oppression. We're speaking from "thin" privilege and it's perpetuates white supremacy somehow, Amazing stuff...

What amazed me is that there was ZERO pushback from the interviewer....zero. Pretty stunning...

Just got done running a couple of laps around the lake. Decided to listen to this. I thought you were maybe being sarcastic about the white supremacy connection. Nope, there it was.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT