ADVERTISEMENT

Disney labels Tinker Bell, Captain Hook as 'potentially problematic,' per report

I will say this is where I diverge from liberal thinking….this woke race is a bit ridiculous. We’re literally facing an existential threat to our democracy and this is what folks are worried about. But at the end of the day if it’s just a disclaimer fine, maybe just add it when you sign into the service….if they’re getting rid of them for loose connections like this that is a different conversation.

I will say this is where I diverge from liberal thinking….this woke race is a bit ridiculous. We’re literally facing an existential threat to our democracy and this is what folks are worried about. But at the end of the day if it’s just a disclaimer fine, maybe just add it when you sign into the service….if they’re getting rid of them for loose connections like this that is a different conversation.
I agree. It has got way out of hand.

Captain Hook, who famously has a prosthetic hook where his hand would be, was reportedly flagged because he exposes Disney to accusations of prejudice against disabled individuals due to his villainous nature.

don.gif

I think you’re likely missing the point of the exercise. This is a weak example of Disney wokeness.

Any company of decent size either does this or should do this periodically. Take a look at all of your products, and look for anything people might be able to complain about. It doesn’t mean they’re getting rid of them, etc. But nobody wants to be blindsided; so they try to come up with every single thing people could possibly complain about in advance and then measure which ones are worth the risk.

I had never heard of this station before so I did a quick Google search. My suspicions were confirmed: they are owned by Sinclair. That’s the company that forces the extreme right opinion pieces to be aired on their local television stations.

In my experience it hasn't taken away from the movie at all. It's a little warning in the corner when you start the movie and doesn't come up again.

I guess maybe the one drawback is that the warnings now are meaningless, so if there really is something your kids shouldn't see, your more likely to miss it.

As long as they don't strip movies from disney+ or remake them to be more woke, I'm good. I recognize things that were acceptable in 1978 no longer are, and I have no real issue with them calling that out.

Captain Hook, who famously has a prosthetic hook where his hand would be, was reportedly flagged because he exposes Disney to accusations of prejudice against disabled individuals due to his villainous nature.

don.gif
Oh FFS. If you use that metric then you can't have any villains in any movie ever. And actually, judging from the last few Disney movies, not having a direct villain is becoming a trend.

I think you’re likely missing the point of the exercise. This is a weak example of Disney wokeness.

Any company of decent size either does this or should do this periodically. Take a look at all of your products, and look for anything people might be able to complain about. It doesn’t mean they’re getting rid of them, etc. But nobody wants to be blindsided; so they try to come up with every single thing people could possibly complain about in advance and then measure which ones are worth the risk.

I had never heard of this station before so I did a quick Google search. My suspicions were confirmed: they are owned by Sinclair. That’s the company that forces the extreme right opinion pieces to be aired on their local television stations.
The fact that a company has to worry about this is the definition of wokeness and ridiculous on every front. If some weak-minded fool has a problem with captain hook or speedy gonzales, turn the channel.

don.gif

SMH Hook was a villain long before he became "disabled". He was a f'n pirate who lost his hand in a sword fight with a child. According to Barrie - who should know - when Hook was injured on the pitch while at Eton, he bled yellow. Hook came from elite British blood and Barrie said that to reveal his true name "would even at this date set the country in a blaze."

Reactions: ClarindaA's

So if it were an extreme left opinionated station, wouldn't even be news - and that's OK? It's news or it's not, your opinion of the source is not relevant.

SMH Hook was a villain long before he became "disabled". He was a f'n pirate who lost his hand in a sword fight with a child. According to Barrie - who should know - when Hook was injured on the pitch while at Eton, he bled yellow. Hook came from elite British blood and Barrie said that to reveal his true name "would even at this date set the country in a blaze."
This is the modern democratic party in action. This is you. You’re Disney.

So if it were an extreme left opinionated station, wouldn't even be news - and that's OK? It's news or it's not, your opinion of the source is not relevant.
I think what he was getting at is that Sinclair does have a history of putting a severe slant to the corporate news pieces they provide to their subsidiaries. I’m not sure that’s what is happening here, but it does seem like they make it sound like Disney is on the verge of pulling those two from the library, when I think it’s simply step 1 of the review process.

I actually do think theres a bit of a point where Ursula is concerned, wasn’t she based on some famous drag queen from the ‘80s?

This is the very definition of the left jumping off the deep end. If you examine the rationale for reviewing Caption
Hook for example, you will see that one has to assume that anyone with only one hand, must be portrayed as a victim or hero because being handicapped and a villain is somehow insensitive? Are they trying to say all amputees are wonderful people? Or someone who has always been evil, as Captain Hook was according to the story, is somehow a great guy now that he lost his hand? The left is nuts...................

Some deep ass thinkers if they base their votes on Disney movies. The hell with immigration and economics. Amirite?
It’s not the movies, it’s BLM, Trans, soft on borders, and this woke stuff. No, they aren’t deep thinkers, they react to what they see

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT