ADVERTISEMENT

Disturbing voting experience

Lone Clone

HR King
May 29, 2001
It wouldn't bother liberals, probably but I voted early today and I could have been anybody. Was not asked to identify myself other than give them my name and address. It wasn't in my usual precinct, so I didn't know anybody working there and nobody knew me.

That's effing crazy.

Having said that, it was pretty busy. This was at about 1:15 at Iowa City. They had five people handling sign-ups and there was a brief wait.

Last edited:
It wouldn't bother liberals, probably but I voted early today and I could have been anybody. Was not asked to identify myself other than give them my name. It wasn't in my usual precinct, so I didn't know anybody working there and nobody knew me.

That's effing crazy.

Having said that, it was pretty busy. This was at about 1:15 at Iowa City. They had five people handling sign-ups and there was a brief wait.
Didn't ask for your address?

It wouldn't bother liberals, probably but I voted early today and I could have been anybody. Was not asked to identify myself other than give them my name. It wasn't in my usual precinct, so I didn't know anybody working there and nobody knew me.

That's effing crazy.

How is that different than usual? I've been voting for as long as you have and that is the only thing I've ever had to give. Wait, I take that back, after I give my name they will ask me if I live at my address and I say yes.

How is that different than usual? I've been voting for as long as you have and that is the only thing I've ever had to give. Wait, I take that back, after I give my name they will ask me if I live at my address and I say yes.

I gave my name, they checked my registration, then asked for my current address.

Did they verify your name against voter registrations? If they didn't, that's a far bigger deal
I assume so, but some of you are either missing the point or intentionally ignoring it. They confirmed that Lone Clone of a specific address was registered. What they had no idea about is whether the guy they gave a ballot was Lone Clone.

I assume so, but some of you are either missing the point or intentionally ignoring it. They confirmed that Lone Clone of a specific address was registered. What they had no idea about is whether the guy they gave a ballot was Lone Clone.

No I got your point, I was ignoring it because it's not a good point. The bigger deal is people who aren't registered to vote actually voting.

that would be a felony

Ok, but how is anybody going to know it was LC that committed this felonious act?

I think technology is going to have to eventually be used at voting booths - facial recognition perhaps?

It wouldn't bother liberals, probably but I voted early today and I could have been anybody. Was not asked to identify myself other than give them my name and address. It wasn't in my usual precinct, so I didn't know anybody working there and nobody knew me.

That's effing crazy.

How is that crazy? Are you thinking the precinct will explode if another "you" shows up to vote?

How did you know you wouldn't be voting? Oh, because its you.

Why does every "voter id" claim essentially ignore the other aspects of voting, like registration? Of course YOU can "trick" the system, you know everything about you. Are you really thinking your neighbor was also going to vote as you, but chose not to?

I went to the library to vote and it was the same. I could have said I was anybody. Blows my mind you don't need a driver's license to vote.

Reactions: Radar3454
I went to the library to vote and it was the same. I could have said I was anybody. Blows my mind you don't need a driver's license to vote.

Serious question:

If it turned out that this was all secretly monitored and verified that every vote was 100% legally cast, would it assuage your concern? Or would it still blow your mind?

Bingo, duh. As far as prosecuting the first culprit voter? That may be more difficult, but the sanctity of the vote has still been protected.
Except the other guy's ballot is still there to be counted.

Actually, in this case, because I voted early -- which is essentially the same thing as voting absentee -- they could find the illegal ballot and destroy it, because it's in an envelope with the voter's name on it.

However, that safeguard doesn't exist for false voting on Election Day. When I get there to vote, and am told I already voted, I can show my ID and eventually be allowed to cast a ballot. But the guy who assumed my identify earlier has already voted and there's no way to determine which ballot in the box is his.

That's pretty much how it has always been for me. I don't see a problem with it. As was mentioned, misrepresenting yourself would be a felony.

Disturbing would be if they said "I'm sorry, it looks like you have already voted"--which would be a pretty common occurrence if the kind of voter fraud op is worried about ever actually happened. I've never heard of it happening.

A driver's license? Like this one?

iowa.jpg

And yet, they find very few cases of voter fraud and the ones they do find, generally, have to do with improper registration not someone walking up and voting under the wrong name.

Reactions: HKI
Serious question:

If it turned out that this was all secretly monitored and verified that every vote was 100% legally cast, would it assuage your concern? Or would it still blow your mind?
I would assume there isn't much voter fraud and it's not a hot-button issue in my mind... I just think it's dumb that you don't need an ID to vote.

Reactions: Gimmered
Except the other guy's ballot is still there to be counted.

Actually, in this case, because I voted early -- which is essentially the same thing as voting absentee -- they could find the illegal ballot and destroy it, because it's in an envelope with the voter's name on it.

However, that safeguard doesn't exist for false voting on Election Day. When I get there to vote, and am told I already voted, I can show my ID and eventually be allowed to cast a ballot. But the guy who assumed my identify earlier has already voted and there's no way to determine which ballot in the box is his.

I see you edited to agree that ballot would not count. Then you again claimed it would.

Wait, back up. Are you saying that there would be no stopping the vote in your place? They would only add on another vote? Is that your belief?
You didn't read the whole reply to your question.

I would assume there isn't much voter fraud and it's not a hot-button issue in my mind... I just think it's dumb that you don't need an ID to vote.

But if it was verified as a non-problem, why would it be dumb? Obviously you could disagree with determining it a non-problem, but you seem to think its dumb, even if not a problem. Which seems odd that a non-problem would ever be "dumb".

That's effing crazy.

Of course.

Reactions: HKI
But if it was verified as a non-problem, why would it be dumb? Obviously you could disagree with determining it a non-problem, but you seem to think its dumb, even if not a problem. Which seems odd that a non-problem would ever be "dumb".
Touche I guess

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT