ADVERTISEMENT

DIY solar panels

InsaneHawkJJP

HB Heisman
Apr 1, 2013
Decorah
Has anyone ever done any DIY solar panels?

We have a barn that needs power. We don’t need much power, just a couple heated water bowls for our goats and chickens and maybe a light. I’m doing online research and it sounds like for a small setup like what I need it’s pretty simple, just wondering if anyone has any experience.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
sexy megan fox GIF

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I put 2 on a boat I built. Everything was 12v DC so it was super simple and required minimal electrical engineering.

Someone is going to actually be able to give you the calculation you need for your size building. I would think that would be step 1.

We have a barn that needs power. We don’t need much power, just a couple heated water bowls for our goats and chickens and maybe a light. I’m doing online research and it sounds like for a small setup like what I need it’s pretty simple, just wondering if anyone has any experience.

TIA
sexy megan fox GIF
I have some outside farm cats that I was searching for a solar heated water bowl to put outside for the winter. Apparently they don't exist. I understand you are looking for a slightly larger set up, but it looks like I'll have to stick to the bucket I have that plugs in. The problem is the shed the cats hang out in doesn't have power so they'll have to walk a little farther through the snow.

I have some outside farm cats that I was searching for a solar heated water bowl to put outside for the winter. Apparently they don't exist. I understand you are looking for a slightly larger set up, but it looks like I'll have to stick to the bucket I have that plugs in. The problem is the shed the cats hang out in doesn't have power so they'll have to walk a little farther through the snow.
Anyway you could run a solar panel to a fish tank heater?

Panel/batt/ plug

It doesn't have to be perfect it just has to keep it from freezing.

TIA
sexy megan fox GIF

I have quite a bit of experience in DIY Solar panels. I have installed a little over 300 solar panels across a few different properties of mine. The manufactures provide very good instructions. They have been installed for 7 years now with pretty much no issues. All the panels are in the Cedar Rapids area and survived the Derecho just fine with no damage. Though after the derecho my insurance company replaced 2 roofs with panels installed on them. So I got to uninstall and reinstall about 200 solar panels.

If you are able to find lights/heaters that work with DC power your install will be significantly cheaper, because it will remove the need to convert energy from DC to AC.

If you want to go really easy you could just get something like this https://www.amazon.com/EF-ECOFLOW-G...fos.2b70bf2b-6730-4ccf-ab97-eb60747b8daf&th=1 they come in all different sizes. Might be ideal for a use case like yours.

My systems are producing 100% of my power needs for my home and business.

Here is an article I wrote several years ago after installing the systems that may be helpful. https://www.insideselfstorage.com/e...power-a-self-storage-owner-shares-his-insight

Probably a little two complicated for me. I'd need a kit or an instruction manual.

Probably a little too complicated for me. I'd need a kit or an instruction manual.
It really isn't.

You don't by any chance have a old electric fan from a toy or a computer or any form of old electric( small) motor do you? Cut some wire scraps and get a 9v battery. You can play with them and you "won't get shocked" to build your idea. You can learn running in series and parallel.

You don't need any of that for your car bowl though.

If you really wanted to do it you would have it done in an hour.

I have quite a bit of experience in DIY Solar panels. I have installed a little over 300 solar panels across a few different properties of mine. The manufactures provide very good instructions. They have been installed for 7 years now with pretty much no issues. All the panels are in the Cedar Rapids area and survived the Derecho just fine with no damage. Though after the derecho my insurance company replaced 2 roofs with panels installed on them. So I got to uninstall and reinstall about 200 solar panels.

If you are able to find lights/heaters that work with DC power your install will be significantly cheaper, because it will remove the need to convert energy from DC to AC.

If you want to go really easy you could just get something like this https://www.amazon.com/EF-ECOFLOW-Generator-Portable-Station/dp/B0BYS84V1P/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2MMCX5BVI96PA&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.5CTT652jTsKRjpsN1t-y5qGtkkWglMHvY8RtiZutiYQRlpgncl-pca7yfbGIPRUlby0KFuFW_71EZ06yrWjF62tqEMs6SEg36B8oez-w8eRG7YiS0o7VbcNyNwsytixJ49xHlbZUNSgnRLdC2SO4FDsG_I5xsj3bxpvEu8JSO7TwhkQ4AP-nj2dFtOn1UMgQABHnvZzyFzWC2JvLJNO95Cj9s7289Nj7eFBE9IKatow.4glRXNMun9xyjAV5hWW6oN7JC6lb49cdsLHAQ86X-88&dib_tag=se&keywords=power+station+with+solar+panel&qid=1729086857&sprefix=power+station+with,aps,149&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.2b70bf2b-6730-4ccf-ab97-eb60747b8daf&th=1 they come in all different sizes. Might be ideal for a use case like yours.

My systems are producing 100% of my power needs for my home and business.

Here is an article I wrote several years ago after installing the systems that may be helpful. https://www.insideselfstorage.com/e...power-a-self-storage-owner-shares-his-insight
Thanks for the advice. I’ve looked into the solar generators also, just want to get the best bang for my buck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT