ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Carton Could Still Be a Hawk

IowasLaw

All-Conference
Nov 19, 2019
Well, DJ has officially entered the transfer portal after an up and down year. I know he briefly considered the Hawks and was a blue chip recruit. Is there mutual interest?

Coming into this season, Iowa had a glaring hole at point guard. That seems to have been fixed with the improvement of Connor and some flashes from Joe T. Regardless, Carton would certainly be an upgrade at the position.

Last edited:
I think Carton to Iowa makes a lot of sense from DJ’s perspective.

Reportedly really missed his family and social network and would be running the point on a top 5 team) if he comes - top 10 as it stands now - 45 minutes from his family.

I have a feeling this has some real legs (no inside info).

DJ wouldn't have to be the star at Iowa. Surprisingly enough, he could be a role player on the floor with Garza, Fredrick, Wieskamp, and CMac.

Imagine if he would have stayed home and played in IC this season along with JBo if he would have been healthy? And throw in CJ....

Imagine if he would have stayed home and played in IC this season along with JBo if he would have been healthy? And throw in CJ....

I'm imagining just that for next year + Garza + Joe W + healthy Nunge + a more experienced CMac and Joe T + a healthy PMac has me down right giddy.

Heck, I'm already giddy about next year without Carton!

Reactions: ZumaHawk
If he's planning on coming closer to home or not you got to kick the tires one way or another to see if there is a mutual interest. I know we have a full roster and just brought in 2 guards for next year but as a college coach you can't ever have enough talent especially in the back court.

I remember Indiana and Michigan made his original top 3 so if distance from home is a factor not sure how this will play out for these 2 and for Michigan's he was recruited by Bielen staff not Howard.

Iowa St is a dead program at this point. They have a lame duck coach and everybody is transferring out. I believe they are down to 9 scholarship players and could lose more games than this year. The only reason Prohm is around is because the AD just gave him a bad contract. Nobody wants to transfer to a program where you'll lose a bunch of games and most likely have have a new coaching staff in a year.

Reactions: MitchLL
Iowa St is a dead program at this point. They have a lame duck coach and everybody is transferring out. I believe they are down to 9 scholarship players and could lose more games than this year. The only reason Prohm is around is because the AD just gave him a bad contract. Nobody wants to transfer to a program where you'll lose a bunch of games and most likely have have a new coaching staff in a year.
Except that they did pretty damn well on the recruiting trail this year with 2 top 150 guys and another potential, yet unlikley, Kerwin Walton. ISU will be fine.

Except that they did pretty damn well on the recruiting trail this year with 2 top 150 guys and another potential, yet unlikley, Kerwin Walton. ISU will be fine.

Not really. It's a pretty average class by P5 standards. I believe if you look at average rating of the players, instead of volume, Iowa St falls 6 out of 9 Big 12 teams. So they have a very average recruiting class coming in combined with a bunch of players who lost 20 games and a coach who has no idea what he's doing and most likely gone at the end of the year.

Reactions: bojihawk44
My question is why didn't Iowa make his top three? They were all Big10 teams if I remember, guessing he wants to play in the Big10 and not the shitty Big12. So Iowa has that going for them.
What about Illinois losing Ayo?

Not really. It's a pretty average class by P5 standards. I believe if you look at average rating of the players, instead of volume, Iowa St falls 6 out of 9 Big 12 teams. So they have a very average recruiting class coming in combined with a bunch of players who lost 20 games and a coach who has no idea what he's doing and most likely gone at the end of the year.
You do realize Iowa generally falls lower than that? No reason to even bring up ISU in this discussion until he mentions who he is actually looking at.

This-is-Fine1.jpg

I think by looking at his top 3, not really having a ton of love for Iowa, Hawks being pretty full at guard (although we don't have a Carton), the rumor that he didn't like to play with Pat, Fran has shown a lot of loyalty to guys who committed here, and we have ZERO scholarships to give.... I would be surprised if he came to Iowa.

Do not get me wrong, maybe Fran says with a talent like DJ's he will play right away and a ton of minutes. He is too good to keep off the floor and let the past be in the past. I would love to see him end up at Iowa.

With all that being said, I would guess a new top 5 of:
1- Iowa St.
2- Illinois
3- UNI
4- Indiana
5- Nebraska

No inside knowledge on anything. Just looking at some good fits for him. Hope he gets back to playing, he is really good.

Reactions: skydog0784
How did those 4* guys in Griffin and Lewis who are transferring turn out?
I'm not an ISU fan by any means, but I find it comical that people here continue to rag on their program. For shits sake they are going to have a top 10 pick this year. I just can't follow why many are begging for trolls to show up.

Reactions: SIXERS24
How did those 4* guys in Griffin and Lewis who are transferring turn out?
Not as well as we wanted. Looking back now. Griffin had a hell of a weekend on the Summer AAU Circuit and got an Iowa State, and Kansas offer the same day. I think that was what bumped him up to a 4 Star. Prior to those 2 offers he was deciding between Illinois State, and Drake as his top 2. He looked good in Videos but the Big 12 and P6 D1 ball was to much for him. Lewis was a scorer coming out of HS and kept that going into College. He didn't want to or even try to play defense. He could score with anyone in the Nation but didn't want to guard them in the process.

Lots of fans on here who badmouthed the crap out of Carton. Now you want him? Lol

From day one, it was called that he would end up at Iowa after his medical leave. Conspiracy theorists think Carton was working towards immediate eligibility. Hope the kid gets the help he needs before playing ball again.

I'm not an ISU fan by any means, but I find it comical that people here continue to rag on their program. For shits sake they are going to have a top 10 pick this year. I just can't follow why many are begging for trolls to show up.
Correct, meaning he won’t be at ISU plus others already gone with the possibility of more. These are facts not trolling or ragging.

Lots of fans on here who badmouthed the crap out of Carton. Now you want him? Lol

From day one, it was called that he would end up at Iowa after his medical leave. Conspiracy theorists think Carton was working towards immediate eligibility. Hope the kid gets the help he needs before playing ball again.

You must be new here :)

Kidding combes, it's the nature of a certain segment of every fan base. Carton can play, would immediately help almost any team in the country, including Iowa. Agreed on hoping he feels better about everything, regardless of where he ends up.

I think by looking at his top 3, not really having a ton of love for Iowa, Hawks being pretty full at guard (although we don't have a Carton), the rumor that he didn't like to play with Pat, Fran has shown a lot of loyalty to guys who committed here, and we have ZERO scholarships to give.... I would be surprised if he came to Iowa.

Do not get me wrong, maybe Fran says with a talent like DJ's he will play right away and a ton of minutes. He is too good to keep off the floor and let the past be in the past. I would love to see him end up at Iowa.

With all that being said, I would guess a new top 5 of:
1- Iowa St.
2- Illinois
3- UNI
4- Indiana
5- Nebraska

No inside knowledge on anything. Just looking at some good fits for him. Hope he gets back to playing, he is really good.
I'd be surprised as well, considering we already have Ulis coming in and I think he'll end up very under rated. If I'm Fran, I don't go down this road. He has a quality roster, Joe T and Ulis in the pipeline, and no reason to upset this positive momentum. Plus not unlikely that DJ has more issues in the next couple of years.

Correct, meaning he won’t be at ISU plus others already gone with the possibility of more. These are facts not trolling or ragging.
Reading comprehension is necessary. By bringing ISU into the conversation and acting like their program is a dumpster fire is "begging for trolls."

I guess I don’t remember all of the people ripping DJ Carton. I do however remember a lot more ripping Iowa and the coaching staff for not landing him. I guess it’s all ones perspective.

I’m sure there were enough people ripping Carton and Ill bet they’d take him at Iowa in a heartbeat. Not sure that’s exactly unique to Iowa though.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
I'd hope that if there's mutual interest that Fran would find a way to make it happen, even if Connor has to go back off scholarship for the remainder of his time on squad. I'd hate to see the opportunity pass us by if it's possible.

Reactions: HIWILLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT