ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Carton Ranking

Locure isn't D1 in my very amateur opinion. Too small. Watched him play, was a good high school player, but didn't look D1 at all.

hmmmm....interesting. I certainly claim no expertise either. I also have to admit I have only watched video clips of this young man. That said, he seems to be very quick, can score from all over the floor, and although not very big he seems very athletic. I saw a clip of him dunking with some ease....maybe 5'9"/10" kid? Weren't the two point guards Fran tried to get out of Chicago in recent years pretty small as well?

I think Lucure might be D1 material, just not sure if that means Iowa level or not.

Last edited:
Locure isn't D1 in my very amateur opinion. Too small. Watched him play, was a good high school player, but didn't look D1 at all.

He is certainly D1 one material. But right now i wouldn't call him high major conference material. he is probably low conference material bordering on mid major material.

I'm withholding my opinion until I see more of Carton. I'd put Carton ahead of Locure, though. I might get jumped on, but there are a ton of good young guards (8th, 9th,10th grade) coming up, some of whom we all know, and several under the radar yet. Fran wants high character guys who are good students, so he doesn't have to deal with a lot of issues once they are on his teams. In fact, I'd say he was almost a fanatic about that. That will definitely play a part in picking the kids we ultimately get, who are not necessarily the same kids Minny and Illinois go after. I'm not naming names or schools, but these two guys are only part of a half-dozen or so super guards coming up the Iowa and western Illinois ranks. Yes, I have seen Carton and Locure play. I think Fran is now in a position to go after the cream of the crop. He's building the type of team so that he can to to high-school-star's parents--like Cook's and Garza's-- and say "these are the kind of kids your son will be associating with." When you coach a team in the Midwest cornfields, you need a trump card to play-- and that's Fran's best chance of building a great team.

Last edited:
He is certainly D1 one material. But right now i wouldn't call him high major conference material. he is probably low conference material bordering on mid major material.
Yeah, actually should have said Big Ten player. He looks like a MVC type player. Also, to the other poster, I'd be shocked if he was even 5-8. He's very quick, but his shot was average.

Yeah, actually should have said Big Ten player. He looks like a MVC type player. Also, to the other poster, I'd be shocked if he was even 5-8. He's very quick, but his shot was average.

I see that both Locure and Tyler Ulis are listed at 5' 9"......I know that these measurements aren't always accurate, but they seem to be pretty close in size.

I see that both Locure and Tyler Ulis are listed at 5' 9"......I know that these measurements aren't always accurate, but they seem to be pretty close in size.
There is no way, at least not last year. Ulis listed as 5-10, and is just a way better player. Actually, this shouldn't even be used as a comparison.

I wish I wasn't so invested in recruiting.....I fear that DJ will go to Wisconsin or any where but Iowa.....I would hate that, I really want this young man to be a Hawkeye.

IMO I think Carton is now a Wisconsin lean but we have a long way to go IF the time table of a verbal remains NOT til a year from now. I think the thing to watch will be visits and to whom (this fall). Good kid good student..deserves his 4 ****.

Reactions: Carlton
There is no way, at least not last year. Ulis listed as 5-10, and is just a way better player. Actually, this shouldn't even be used as a comparison.

I think in terms of height....being listed at 5'9" v 5'9"......that's a pretty good example-close comparison.

Now, if you want to change the topic and say that Locure is as good of a player as Ulis, we are in 100% agreement. I wouldn't put him in the same league.

Maybe this is confusing because height was used to disqualify his ability to be a D1 player. In that realm it is obvious that 5'9" (size) isn't a disqualifier. It has more to do with ability to play. Not wanting to argue, just to clarify.

Reactions: Sumhawk
I think in terms of height....being listed at 5'9" v 5'9"......that's a pretty good example-close comparison.

Now, if you want to change the topic and say that Locure is as good of a player as Ulis, we are in 100% agreement. I wouldn't put him in the same league.

Maybe this is confusing because height was used to disqualify his ability to be a D1 player. In that realm it is obvious that 5'9" (size) isn't a disqualifier. It has more to do with ability to play. Not wanting to argue, just to clarify.
It wasn't just height I was using, if you look back. Height is another reason, outside of just his skills. If he's 6-2 with his skills, I say he's got a shot at some big ten offers if his shot gets better. He's very very quick, shot seemed just ok. I was by him after their game at state last year, he's not 5-9. His hair makes him look taller though. I will say, I didn't think Bohannon would be a good player for us either, so I should probably just shut up. He's got two years and time to grow still.

Something has become clearer in Carton's recruiting or Fran wouldn't have offered the kid in St. Louis. He evidently is leaning towards Wisconsin as Bob says.

When looking at offers to 2019 and 2020 kids, we're seeing the efforts to step up another level. And now is the time to do it.

Some folks think we are deep this year? Imagine when we get Connor, Joe and Fredrick.

2019 will add Patrick McCaffery.

Now, I don't have any concerns for the next three years with JBo at point. And Connor will be a fine Combo Guard. In 2019 with Bohannon and Connor, even perhaps some Fredrick, we won't be suffering.

But I'd LIKE to see a 2019 pg commit that comes with some ready to play skills. So we've offered Carton, and a handful more. Good. First one to commit, we take.

Just looking at the roster, it is hard to imagine but yes, in 2019 we could use another power forward just as much as another point guard.

The good news is that for three years we are loaded and already with Joe, Connor, Fredrick, Patrick...the quality continues to improve. We're just putting the fine edges on the sword.

DJ's recruitment is starting to remind me of Oliver Martin. Not sure why he wasn't offered six months ago. We were late on Oliver and lost him. Hope the same doesn't happen with DJ. Seems like these kids really take it to heart when the home state doesn't call first.

6 months might have been a little too soon but for sure Iowa was made aware of Carton a year ago. Unfortunately he was injured when Bettendorf visited ICWest last winter as Fran was there watching his sons.

I do think Iowa was probably 3-4 weeks late in offering...Fran I believe was under the weather around that time. I don't think Carton took it to heart that Iowa did not offer before Wisconsin. It was a bigger impact that Carton was able to attend Wisconsin's camp at which time I believe they offered. There is no question a relationship was established.

Marquette isn't out of the running.

Fran likes guards that can shoot the rock. Carton's game was taking it to the rack and finishing and that was what held Iowa's offer. They wanted to see his game expand and he did that and got the offer. Very simular to how Iowa recruited Kriener. They wanted to see specific areas of development before they offered.

When looking at offers to 2019 and 2020 kids, we're seeing the efforts to step up another level. And now is the time to do it.

Some folks think we are deep this year? Imagine when we get Connor, Joe and Fredrick.

2019 will add Patrick McCaffery.

Now, I don't have any concerns for the next three years with JBo at point. And Connor will be a fine Combo Guard. In 2019 with Bohannon and Connor, even perhaps some Fredrick, we won't be suffering.

But I'd LIKE to see a 2019 pg commit that comes with some ready to play skills. So we've offered Carton, and a handful more. Good. First one to commit, we take.

Just looking at the roster, it is hard to imagine but yes, in 2019 we could use another power forward just as much as another point guard.

The good news is that for three years we are loaded and already with Joe, Connor, Fredrick, Patrick...the quality continues to improve. We're just putting the fine edges on the sword.
I just don't see a need for a PF in 2019. Garza, Nunge, Pemsl, Kriener, and possibly Cook will still be in IC. Where's the need? What PT are you going to offer? This, plus Patrick, who would probably play some 4 were it not for all those above. Maybe you're thinking of a 5* level recruit who'd demand time? Short of that?... Even in that case, those 5-6 guys are going to be hard to beat out at PF-C in 2019.

I'm thinking Foster and another big plus Patrick to go with Garza and Nunge in 2020 is much more likely to happen.

I just don't see a need for a PF in 2019. Garza, Nunge, Pemsl, Kriener, and possibly Cook will still be in IC. Where's the need? What PT are you going to offer? This, plus Patrick, who would probably play some 4 were it not for all those above. Maybe you're thinking of a 5* level recruit who'd demand time? Short of that?... Even in that case, those 5-6 guys are going to be hard to beat out at PF-C in 2019.

I'm thinking Foster and another big plus Patrick to go with Garza and Nunge in 2020 is much more likely to happen.

Key being "we could use a pf as much as another pg.". I didn't make it clear enough but some folks have mentioned getting 2 point guards in 2019.

Everything you said is spot on from the perspective of pg vs pf. I meant, a second pg or one pf and I think from that perspective you will agree.

Key being "we could use a pf as much as another pg.". I didn't make it clear enough but some folks have mentioned getting 2 point guards in 2019.

Everything you said is spot on from the perspective of pg vs pf. I meant, a second pg or one pf and I think from that perspective you will agree.
Needs for '19-'20, '20-'21:
1 PG, 2nd PG or combo; 1-2 C/F; can always use playmakers of any type.
But the PG we need before the PF
Just don't know what to say if you think we need a PF before PGs in that timeframe other than, you're wrong. Although getting a 5* PF would certainly help attract a similar level PG.

Needs for '19-'20, '20-'21:
1 PG, 2nd PG or combo; 1-2 C/F; can always use playmakers of any type.
But the PG we need before the PF
Just don't know what to say if you think we need a PF before PGs in that timeframe other than, you're wrong. Although getting a 5* PF would certainly help attract a similar level PG.

Needs for 2019:

PG 1st, A#1 priority.
Already have, or will, Patrick McC coming on board.

2019:

seniors: JBo, Moss, Kriener, Pemsl, Cook.
juniors: Garza, Nunge
sophs: Conner McC, Wieskamp, Patrick
Frosh: Patrick McC, POINT GUARD....and, you think we need another guard? I say we could use a pf as much as a second point guard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT