ADVERTISEMENT

DJ has Hawkeyes in Top 6

In related news, Michigan cancelled the visit of Austin Reaves (WSU transfer) this weekend. He’s considered one of the best transfers on the market. Makes me wonder if Michigan has some assurance on one of their other recruits. D.J. Is one of those, but there are several.

Enough with the name calling. ....Just get the kid and prove me wrong. It is an uphill battle for this kid because of Fran's recruiting history, lack of much on court success, and his frequent embarrassing antics on court.

Which frequent antics are those? You really haven't been watching Fran Lite these past few years.

I just hope this doesn't happen to Iowa also. Iowa really needs an impact point guard and can't afford to let this recruitment go far and come up empty and could also come up empty with other point guards that didn't want to wait until Carton announced and Iowa loses out.
Iowa has a chance though so you have to keep swinging. I never thought for a second that ISU would get him so it's kind of nice to know where things stand. I Like Iowa's chances although coming in 2nd in recruiting is pretty worthless and that could certainly happen.

In related news, Michigan cancelled the visit of Austin Reaves (WSU transfer) this weekend. He’s considered one of the best transfers on the market. Makes me wonder if Michigan has some assurance on one of their other recruits. D.J. Is one of those, but there are several.

Michigan has had a run of crystal balls this week on both Carton and Jalen Wilson a borderline 5 star wing from Texas. 2019 will be a small class for Michigan with only 2-3 recruits in it so it was always going to be hard to fit Reaves in.

Jordan says "Iowa's on the middle of your chest for a reason!"

Jordan Bohannon‏Verified account@JordanBo_3 May 11
Jordan Bohannon Retweeted Dee Jay

Iowa’s on the middle of your chest for a reason
1f440.png
1f914.png

Jordan Bohannon added,

Dc4Y5TVW4AEdGlp.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: skydog0784
Michigan has had a run of crystal balls this week on both Carton and Jalen Wilson a borderline 5 star wing from Texas. 2019 will be a small class for Michigan with only 2-3 recruits in it so it was always going to be hard to fit Reaves in.
I think Michigan is going to get Joe Girard from 2019. Girard as a junior is already the top alltime hs scorer in NYS history. He has a slew of offers including Duke but Belein coached Girard's father.

I think Michigan is going to get Joe Girard from 2019. Girard as a junior is already the top alltime hs scorer in NYS history. He has a slew of offers including Duke but Belein coached Girard's father.

The crystal ball shows Joe Girard going to Duke. But Belein does have the inside track there.

The crystal ball shows Joe Girard going to Duke. But Belein does have the inside track there.

Beilein might not have roster space for Girard if he gets Carton and Wilson as he only has 1 scholarship for the 2019 class at the moment and will depend on somebody going pro (Charles Matthews) or somebody transferring to get even a 2nd scholarship. Michigan has no seniors on their roster next year (though only 12 scholarship players). A 3rd scholarship would require 2 early departures which while possible isn't a sure thing.

Beilein is good at making room

How do? He’s played with fewer than 13 scholarship players quite a bit recently so it’s not like he’s needed to boot somebody. Unless you just mean he’s had more early entrants to the draft than anybody else in the league recently....

How do? He’s played with fewer than 13 scholarship players quite a bit recently so it’s not like he’s needed to boot somebody. Unless you just mean he’s had more early entrants to the draft than anybody else in the league recently....

He’s denied several 5th years.

He’s denied several 5th years.

nope, the only one he denied was Spike Albrecht, but that was after Spike retired and was told he should never play basketball again. Then he changed his mind and still wanted to play another year but Beilein had already recruited another PG to fill the roster with so he had to transfer.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
nope, the only one he denied was Spike Albrecht, but that was after Spike retired and was told he should never play basketball again. Then he changed his mind and still wanted to play another year but Beilein had already recruited another PG to fill the roster with so he had to transfer.

Bielfeldt and Donall are two others off the top of my head.

Not that it matters, but possibly could weigh his decision. According to 247:
Xavier got a top 50 players who was the #7 PG last year, played as a frosh this year.
Indiana pulled in the #20 PG in this years class.
Michigan pulled in the #17 PG in this years class, and also pulled in a PG last year.
OSU pulled in two SG's in last years class, not sure if either will move to PG, but both were in top 150. They also have offer out to #57 player in the country and #7 PG recruit for next year.
Marquette really hasn't offered anyone at PG and hasn't had anyone big lately, but I feel like they are the farthest away in this chase, as it is.

So Xavier, Indiana, and Michigan all pulled in highly ranked PG's last year, and OSU has an offer out to a big time PG this year. Would be nice if that kid committed leaving Iowa the only with a clear opening day starting gig.

Not that it matters, but possibly could weigh his decision. According to 247:
Xavier got a top 50 players who was the #7 PG last year, played as a frosh this year.
Indiana pulled in the #20 PG in this years class.
Michigan pulled in the #17 PG in this years class, and also pulled in a PG last year.
OSU pulled in two SG's in last years class, not sure if either will move to PG, but both were in top 150. They also have offer out to #57 player in the country and #7 PG recruit for next year.
Marquette really hasn't offered anyone at PG and hasn't had anyone big lately, but I feel like they are the farthest away in this chase, as it is.

So Xavier, Indiana, and Michigan all pulled in highly ranked PG's last year, and OSU has an offer out to a big time PG this year. Would be nice if that kid committed leaving Iowa the only with a clear opening day starting gig.

Agreed, I wish some of these other PG prospects would make their decisions now, too.

I'm sure this will be a factor in DJ's decision. Honestly, I don't understand why everyone is assuming he will pick Michigan; they will have a very crowded backcourt in 2019. Has DJ or his family said anything to indicate Michigan leads? Or is it just an assumption based on their season last year?

All six schools have a chance. He wouldn't have put Iowa in there unless he really likes the Hawks and believes we will be successful soon w/the talent we have coming in. Not buying the talk that he only put Iowa in there as an obligatory show of respect for the home state team - why didn't he do that with Wisconsin, his first P5 offer? Or Iowa State, another home state team? Makes no sense.

Iowa has the biggest, clearest need for a PG like DJ. Get him on campus for an official visit, let him hang with Pat and Joe and the rest of the team, show him that he'd be playing with elite talent at a B1G school an hour from Bettendorf, with the chance to leave a lasting legacy and not be just another good guard like he would at other schools, and I think we have a good shot at keeping him home.

Bielfeldt and Donall are two others off the top of my head.

considering he played with less than 13 scholarship players those seasons he didn't run them off. He literally had unused scholarships that he gave to walkons after they left to get more minutes elsewhere.

considering he played with less than 13 scholarship players those seasons he didn't run them off. He literally had unused scholarships that he gave to walkons after they left to get more minutes elsewhere.

Re: Donnal

"The Michigan coaches also made it clear that he wouldn't be able to spend his fifth year at Michigan -- U-M needed the scholarship -- so Donnal had the idea of moving on in his mind all season and made peace with it."

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...28/michigan-basketball-mark-donnal/101020158/

Re: Biefeldt

"Before the 2014-15 season began, Michigan coach John Beilein told Bielfeldt his plan was to have the forward play the year as a senior -- allowing him to seek a fifth year elsewhere. Bielfeldt himself continued to express an interest in returning to Michigan for his final season, not only during the '14-15 campaign itself, but after the year had ended. Beilein, meanwhile, did not give Bielfeldt any assurances as to whether or not a scholarship would be available for him next season at Michigan."

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/06/ex-michigan_forward_max_bielfe.html

Re: Biefeldt

"Before the 2014-15 season began, Michigan coach John Beilein told Bielfeldt his plan was to have the forward play the year as a senior -- allowing him to seek a fifth year elsewhere. Bielfeldt himself continued to express an interest in returning to Michigan for his final season, not only during the '14-15 campaign itself, but after the year had ended. Beilein, meanwhile, did not give Bielfeldt any assurances as to whether or not a scholarship would be available for him next season at Michigan."

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/06/ex-michigan_forward_max_bielfe.html

so you agree Michigan didn't use all those scholarships those years so didn't need to run anybody off?

Agreed, I wish some of these other PG prospects would make their decisions now, too.

I'm sure this will be a factor in DJ's decision. Honestly, I don't understand why everyone is assuming he will pick Michigan; they will have a very crowded backcourt in 2019. Has DJ or his family said anything to indicate Michigan leads? Or is it just an assumption based on their season last year?

All six schools have a chance. He wouldn't have put Iowa in there unless he really likes the Hawks and believes we will be successful soon w/the talent we have coming in. Not buying the talk that he only put Iowa in there as an obligatory show of respect for the home state team - why didn't he do that with Wisconsin, his first P5 offer? Or Iowa State, another home state team? Makes no sense.

Iowa has the biggest, clearest need for a PG like DJ. Get him on campus for an official visit, let him hang with Pat and Joe and the rest of the team, show him that he'd be playing with elite talent at a B1G school an hour from Bettendorf, with the chance to leave a lasting legacy and not be just another good guard like he would at other schools, and I think we have a good shot at keeping him home.
Iowa will be in the Final 2 when it gets narrowed down even more. Why? Because it delays the inevitable backlash when a kid from the Iowa City region commits elsewhere, which I firmly believe he will do.

So he narrows down the list while always keeping the one he is going to on that list (duh right?), and how the others fall off besides Iowa is pretty much irrelevant, other than the difficult phone calls to Coaches he may have really liked.

Iowa makes the cut. Go Hawks! Go Fran! Getting DJ Carton would be Huge. This would put us on the map. I am certain of it. He has shown he has the offensive ability. And he looks to be quick enough to play some superior defense(fingers crossed). We have everything else covered well...just missing a player like Carton.

He has Iowa, Xavier, Indiana, OSU, Michigan and Marquette. Tough competition. But that is what I like about Fran, he goes after what he wants regardless. He is aggressive. Love it.

DJ lists Hawkeyes among some top teams.

I think we made the final six to keep the heat off. Everything I'm hearing from friends in Michigan is that Michigan's strong class last year + deep NCAA run + academics will put the Wolverines over the top. Timing is everything and our poor showing last year really hurt the Hawk's chances.

Reactions: 24 so far
Iowa will be in the Final 2 when it gets narrowed down even more. Why? Because it delays the inevitable backlash when a kid from the Iowa City region commits elsewhere, which I firmly believe he will do.

So he narrows down the list while always keeping the one he is going to on that list (duh right?), and how the others fall off besides Iowa is pretty much irrelevant, other than the difficult phone calls to Coaches he may have really liked.

It will probably be a final three, and he won't put Iowa in there just to be nice. If he knows he's not coming to Iowa City, he will cut Iowa so that Fran can start looking for another PG. I don't think he's at all worried about getting grief from his classmates, friends, etc. if he doesn't pick Iowa.

As things stand now, I'm not optimistic that he'll pick the Hawkeyes. But there's still a long way to go.

Asked upon whether a commitment could take place before July, Carton didn’t seem near a decision. “No, I don’t, honestly. I don’t know who my favorite is or who is leading right now,” he said. “I am just enjoying the process and trying to get to know the coaches more and more. I am just going to play it out until I get that gut feeling and know where I am the most comfortable.”

Well this certainly can't hurt...

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

The University of Michigan's John Beilein interviewed for the Detroit Pistons coaching job on Thursday, league sources tell ESPN.
2:10 PM · Jun 1, 2018

I think the kid is serious that he doesn't know who his favorite is. Michigan has always been assumed to be the frontrunner because they went to the championship game. While it would certainly help Iowa's chances if Belien left, the bottom line has always been how important it is or isn't for DJ to play close to home. Fran can make a compelling case there is a fair amount of talent coming in he will be surrounded by, but that still pales in comparison to what the other B1G schools involved can offer.

Kid has long arms and he can jump. I like it. :)

Which kid? Patrick? Shorter than his height!
I am actually surprised his wingspan is that short. I had always assumed he was closer to 6'10" or more,, as a lot of folks said he was long. Which he is not. Apparently

I like the other 6'7" guy with the 6'10" wingspan... The 6'7" guy with the 7'4" wingspan is crazy. He has to be scraping his knuckles on the ground!!

Which kid? Patrick? Shorter than his height!
I am actually surprised his wingspan is that short. I had always assumed he was closer to 6'10" or more,, as a lot of folks said he was long. Which he is not. Apparently

I like the other 6'7" guy with the 6'10" wingspan... The 6'7" guy with the 7'4" wingspan is crazy. He has to be scraping his knuckles on the ground!!
DJ. 6'6" span and a 39" vertical.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT