ADVERTISEMENT

DM Register sports has

jimbob22

HR All-State
Nov 23, 2014
fully transitioned from a journalistic enterprise to a fan site re/ Cyclones. Adding Jeff Woody 'analysis' to Reggie Randy's ticket-selling promotions completes the move. Who, in hell, is Jeff Woody, anyway?

Well ISU has more alumni living in Iowa than U of Iowa does. Des Moines is next to Ames, Iowa. They have very good up and coming coach in Matt Campbell doing a lot of good things for ISU. Fan interest is at an alltime high. Not to mention I live in West Des Moines for 13 years and I see more ISU shirts and hats worn than hawkeyes 3 to 1. Of course the Des Moines Register is gonna run more ISU related stories than Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: CounterPoint
There is more to talk about with the Clones right now than there is with the Hawks.

For Iowa, it's another good team who might win 10 games. We're a contender in the B1G west again, but it's not like we're generating the hype yet that we had in 2002-06ish, 08-10, and 15-16. Besides this Fant noise, it has been a pretty quiet season for a team who is 4-1 and could be 5-0.

In ISU, with Matt Campbell, their fans think they have the coach to turn them into a power in the Big 12 so they're reading more articles and generating more clicks.They're looking to take the 'next step' and get to the next level, even though they only have 2 wins and are in a big fight to qualify for a bowl game.

Randy Peterson is part of the SID at isu, right? He can't be a reporter as I haven't read anything of his that remotely approaches what an actual reporter should do. Being a cheerleader for the subject of coverage isn't reporting.

At least Leistikow offers an occasional skeptical or critically thoughtful comment in regards to what is said to him by the coaching staff or what he sees.

Well ISU has more alumni living in Iowa than U of Iowa does. Des Moines is next to Ames, Iowa. They have very good up and coming coach in Matt Campbell doing a lot of good things for ISU. Fan interest is at an alltime high. Not to mention I live in West Des Moines for 13 years and I see more ISU shorts and hats worn than hawkeyes 3 to 1. Of course the Des Moine Register is gonna run more ISU related stories than Iowa.
I don't live in Iowa but had to make a recent visit to Des Moines -- the airport is chockful of Hawkeye gear with cyclone items nowhere (or well hidden) to be found. As a Hawkeye, this came as quite a (delightful) surprise to me.

Well ISU has more alumni living in Iowa than U of Iowa does. Des Moines is next to Ames, Iowa. They have very good up and coming coach in Matt Campbell doing a lot of good things for ISU. Fan interest is at an alltime high. Not to mention I live in West Des Moines for 13 years and I see more ISU shirts and hats worn than hawkeyes 3 to 1. Of course the Des Moines Register is gonna run more ISU related stories than Iowa.
Bull shite.

I don't live in Iowa but had to make a recent visit to Des Moines -- the airport is chockful of Hawkeye gear with cyclone items nowhere (or well hidden) to be found. As a Hawkeye, this came as quite a (delightful) surprise to me.
Yeah, that Clone fan is lying his ass off. I live in Ankeny, about 20 miles from Ames. Cyclones to Hawkeyes is probably 60-40 here. North side of Ankeny is definitely more Clone, South side of Ankeny is probably 50-50. It’s kind of weird. My kids have always had more Hawkeye fans in their classes than Cyclone fans. It most certainly would not be the case if we were in the Ankeny Centennial district. It’s hard to explain, and I have some theories, but I’ll leave it at that.

The biggest myth in Eastern Iowa is that Central Iowa is Cyclone country. Outside of Ames, there is no single town or city dominated by Cyclone fans. The thing they have going for them is that 80% of their fan base lives within 50 miles of Ames. If you can hoodwink them into showing up, it’s an easy trip for all of them to get there.

The Victim Mentality that Pollard has created in the fan base has amplified their tribalism. He strokes their insecurities like a lap dog. Dude is a genius with that stuff. It’s worked great for filling stadiums. That, and he flat out held them hostage for a few years, and they paid the ransom. E.g. having to buy season tickets to get the Iowa game.

I don’t think people remember, before Pollard arrived, people didn’t always show. Probably 25k in the stands(I’m sure paid was more) on a cold day against Missouri to clinch the Big XII North. Now they all think they are getting screwed when the alarm clock goes off, and their damn proud of it.

Only took 2 replies to get the bigger alumni/enrollment & only alumni count as real fans argument, nice. And both rolled into one, Cyclones are getting efficient!

This. I can’t believe how many more Hawkeye fans are in the DM Metro than Cyclone fans! I’ve been back a few times & have heard there’s more Cyclone fans in DM than there used to be.

If there is, they’re outnumbered immensely by the Hawkeye fans!

Last edited:
How do you know? Furthermore, hanging onto your coach isn’t necessarily a good thing. Usually, it means no one else wants him

God you're an idiot. Hanging onto your coach isn't necessarily a good thing? Yeah I mean how dumb is that to hang onto a coach if you are at a school who is having a success. And when person said he wasn't going to be there in 2 years it's probably because someone else will have poached him from ISU.

I am not saying people are not wearing hawkeye stuff in DM, but if you go to the malls, bars, parks, whatever it's way more cyclone sportswear than hawkeye at least 3 to 1 in DM. Just like if your go Cedar Rapids its gonna be way more Hawkeye stuff than Cyclones. That was the point I was making to the original poster on why DM Register is having more ISU sport articles than U of I because it's more pro Cyclone town, much like the CR Gazette is pro Hawkeye with their sports articles.

God you're an idiot. Hanging onto your coach isn't necessarily a good thing? Yeah I mean how dumb is that to hang onto a coach if you are at a school who is having a success. And when person said he wasn't going to be there in 2 years it's probably because someone else will have poached him from ISU.

Dude's an Iowa St. fan or at least not an Iowa fan. Don't take him seriously.

I am not saying people are not wearing hawkeye stuff in DM, but if you go to the malls, bars, parks, whatever it's way more cyclone sportswear than hawkeye at least 3 to 1 in DM.
LOL, doubling down on your stupidity.

giphy.gif

I am not saying people are not wearing hawkeye stuff in DM, but if you go to the malls, bars, parks, whatever it's way more cyclone sportswear than hawkeye at least 3 to 1 in DM. Just like if your go Cedar Rapids its gonna be way more Hawkeye stuff than Cyclones. That was the point I was making to the original poster on why DM Register is having more ISU sport articles than U of I because it's more pro Cyclone town, much like the CR Gazette is pro Hawkeye with their sports articles.
As bad/flawed as this data source probably is, I'm willing to bet it's considerably more accurate than Cy5000's anecdotal (but very scientific I'm sure) 3-1 number. Or maybe ISU's fandom has grown exponentially since 2014.... I'm sure that's it.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...14/10/05/cy-hawk-map-new-york-times/16784375/

"In regions with Des Moines ZIP codes, Iowa fans carry approximately 45 to 50 percent support, with Iowa State hovering between 25 to 30 percent."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#8,41.511,-93.889

That probably seemed like a good idea when you typed it, but the issue is there might be some posters here that also live in the area.

Reactions: blhawk

Just because you see 3 Walmart isu shirts in your trailer park doesn’t mean your math is correct.

Clowns are and always will be clowns.

As bad/flawed as this data source probably is, I'm willing to bet it's considerably more accurate than Cy5000's anecdotal (but very scientific I'm sure) 3-1 number. Or maybe ISU's fandom has grown exponentially since 2014.... I'm sure that's it.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...14/10/05/cy-hawk-map-new-york-times/16784375/

"In regions with Des Moines ZIP codes, Iowa fans carry approximately 45 to 50 percent support, with Iowa State hovering between 25 to 30 percent."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#8,41.511,-93.889

Clown fan will tell us how this doesn’t count just wait for it.

And we are saying that 3 to 1 is BS...it’s off by a lot. I’ll take a tally next time I sneak over to Jordan Creek.

I will admit that in Ankeny, there are certainly more Cyclone vanity plates than Hawkeye plates. It is not consistent with the ratio of fans. There are significantly more ISU alums in Ankeny than Iowa alums. My assumption is that if you are an alum, you are much more likely to get vanity plates. Which makes sense.

If you stand outside Parkview middle school, or Terrace elementary in Ankeny(admittedly, there are like 11 Elementaries) you see more kids walk out with Hawkeye shirts than Cyclone shirts. Especially on the Friday before the Iowa v. ISU game. I have a hard time believing there is massive difference in West Des Moines, but maybe?

I do have a question. Why does every single ISU fan have a shirt from every year with the football schedule on the back? Do they give these away with your season tickets? They all have them, and they all wear them. I can’t figure any other reason other than they must come with some purchase?

Uh, you guys missed that he said ISU alumni.

He's probably referring to all the alumni he sees with all the ISU gear compared to Iowa, since Iowa St. fans validate every fan they see actually went to that school. Those are the only fans that count.

Reactions: Birky
I live in the Des Moines area and would say the places I go is pretty close to 50/50. Outside of the Des Moines area it seems really tough to find Clone fans.

Uh, you guys missed that he said ISU alumni.

He's probably referring to all the alumni he sees with all the ISU gear compared to Iowa, since Iowa St. fans validate every fan they see actually went to that school. Those are the only fans that count.
So he can tell which people wearing an iowa/isu shirt actually went to that school? That's pretty impressive ;).
There are way more Iowa fans in central iowa than isu, period.....

So he can tell which people wearing an iowa/isu shirt actually went to that school? That's pretty impressive ;).
There are way more Iowa fans in central iowa than isu, period.....

Iowa St. fans have special powers that allows them to determine who real fans are, i.e. who actually went to the school. It's pretty impressive how they can discern fake fans from real fans, I must say.

It's about 50/50 for most of Des Moines. Outside of Des Moines it's probably closer to 80/20 Iowa.

No, the Register is nothing more than a regional central Iowa newspaper now, no longer a favorite state wide.

This is tired, false bullshit only spread by cyclones. You point to “alumni” only for a reason. I live in the metro too, your shirt claim is false.

Yes, I know I’m just piling on.

It’s Hawkeye fans everywhere in DM! I was hoping to spot a Clone on my visit during the Iowa-ISU game but it didn’t happen. :(

Hey. Hey....hey............hey......guess what?.................

Iowa > Iowa State

Deal with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT