ADVERTISEMENT

Do military mistakes drive you nuts in movies/TV shows?

I can think of only one war movie without any inaccuracies.

8028.jpg
It's like a documentary.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
An example of things that drive me up a wall...The Hurt Locker (itself a tragic piece of military based filmmaking). The counter sniper scene might annoy me more than any scene in any war movie ever. 5 British PMC and it's 2 EOD techs that just know how to perform counter sniper techniques? WTF?
Well...doesn't everybody?

Not military related, but Remember the Titans is the first movie “Based on a true story” that I remember bugging me.

There was a TC Williams football team that won a state title back in the 70’s. That’s about the extent of the “true story” part. Finding out how inaccurate the movie was kind of ruined it for me.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
Not military related, but Remember the Titans is the first movie “Based on a true story” that I remember bugging me.

There was a TC Williams football team that won a state title back in the 70’s. That’s about the extent of the “true story” part. Finding out how inaccurate the movie was kind of ruined it for me.
The same thing with Hoosiers. Yes, Milan was a small school but they had made the Indiana final four the previous year so they had talent. Both Coach Dale and Shooter were total fabrications. Bobby Plump hit the game winner in the championship game but he had crossed half court with over 4 minutes to play and just stood there holding the ball until the final play - Muncie didn't come out to challenge him. Milan played stall ball to win the game 32-30. Muncie had averaged nearly 70/game through the post season to that point.

The same thing with Hoosiers. Yes, Milan was a small school but they had made the Indiana final four the previous year so they had talent. Both Coach Dale and Shooter were total fabrications. Bobby Plump hit the game winner in the championship game but he had crossed half court with over 4 minutes to play and just stood there holding the ball until the final play - Muncie didn't come out to challenge him. Milan played stall ball to win the game 32-30. Muncie had averaged nearly 70/game through the post season to that point.

I never realized that Hoosiers was supposed to be based on a true story. I thought it was a 100% fiction. I will maintain that thought, though, to preserve it as one of my favorite sports movies (2nd only to The Natural).

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
I never realized that Hoosiers was supposed to be based on a true story. I thought it was a 100% fiction. I will maintain that thought, though, to preserve it as one of my favorite sports movies (2nd only to The Natural).
What they have in common is so sparing that saying it's "based on a true story" might be overselling the connection. ;)

They are movies, they are made for entertainment and nothing more. Why anyone would care if something is factually correct or any of the movie is not accurate to the real world totally bottles the mind. I'm so glad I can separate myself from that kind of thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT