ADVERTISEMENT

Do they dare put Michigan # 2 and O$U #3 for a re-match in the CFP???

LuciousBDragon

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2017
The American Southwest
Georgia - 1
Michigan - 2 (pending Purdue game)

Above makes complete sense and not really up for debate.

3 & 4 gets interesting.

Ohio St and TCU are the only one-loss squads. Ohio St has the better loss than TCU. Makes sense to put OSU three and TCU at four.

I can think of a lot of reasons NOT to do a re-match and I can also think of a lot of reasons to absolutely schedule the rematch. I think TV ratings would not suffer one-bit and the intrigue of a rematch in the CFP offers major marketing hype for the next four weeks.

Discuss.

Committee will def shaft Mich and put OSU 3. Guaranteeing a Big Ten team in final is mega dollars.

1 is Georgia.
2 is Michigan
3 is fOSU
4 is Alabama

Book it. TCU got HAMMERED, HAMMERED I say, by an inferior KSU tem. TCU has NO BUSINESS contending for a natty.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I think the 4 teams, in order, should be / will be:

1 Georgia
2 Michigan
3 TCU
4 Ohio State (only team of these 4 that did not play for a conference chamionship)

I think TCU stays at #3 based on several factors:

* On Tuesday the Committee had them ranked higher than OSU. 5 days later? I don't think that changes.

* This would keep 2 teams from the same conference from facing each other in the semi-finals. There's a precedent for this.

* As mentioned above, TCU played for a conference championship; OSU did not. TCU should not be penalized for playing for a conference title while OSU sat on a couch at home. Therefore, TCU #3, OSU #4.

* TCU #3, OSU #4 based on resume, too.

FjGElswWIAIMuQG

Committee will def shaft Mich and put OSU 3. Guaranteeing a Big Ten team in final is mega dollars.
ESPN may try to find a way to screw the B1G if possible. If I am Kevin Warren, I would want the re-match as it guarantees the B1G in the title game vs one in the Peach and 1 in the Fiesta provides a chance of no B1G team in the title game.

1 is Georgia.
2 is Michigan
3 is fOSU
4 is Alabama

Book it. TCU got HAMMERED, HAMMERED I say, by an inferior KSU tem. TCU has NO BUSINESS contending for a natty.
If you would like to wager, I would be happy to take your money.

I don't think there's a way to screw the bten now. If it's a rematch in semis the bten is guaranteed a spot in final. If tcu stays 3 there's a chance it could be all bten final which would be HUGE for league credibility. Sounds pretty good either way. I think latter will happen and committee will keep tcu 3

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
ESPN may try to find a way to screw the B1G if possible. If I am Kevin Warren, I would want the re-match as it guarantees the B1G in the title game vs one in the Peach and 1 in the Fiesta provides a chance of no B1G team in the title game.
Oh yes, everyone is always trying to screw the Big Ten! Give me a break.

Reactions: littlez
I don't think there's a way to screw the bten now. If it's a rematch in semis the bten is guaranteed a spot in final. If tcu stays 3 there's a chance it could be all bten final which would be HUGE for league credibility. Sounds pretty good either way. I think latter will happen and committee will keep tcu 3
Ohio State can’t beat GA, and Mich/TCU is a toss up. GA is the best team by a comfortable margin, then you have 3-5 teams that are on similar levels.

Reactions: littlez and amahawk
1 is Georgia.
2 is Michigan
3 is fOSU
4 is Alabama

Many would argue that TCU did not get hammered. Losing in OT by inches...I call that a close one.

Many would argue that TCU did not get hammered. Losing in OT by inches...I call that a close one.
There was a very bad spot in OT as well. The ball should have been at the one inch line on Duggan’s carry which makes the sneak automatic. One yard is much harder to get.

Reactions: rfgiowa
Georgia - 1

3 & 4 gets interesting.

Ohio St and TCU are the only one-loss squads. Ohio St has the better loss than TCU. Makes sense to put OSU three and TCU at four.

I can think of a lot of reasons NOT to do a re-match and I can also think of a lot of reasons to absolutely schedule the rematch. I think TV ratings would not suffer one-bit and the intrigue of a rematch in the CFP offers major marketing hype for the next four weeks.

Discuss.
TCU should be 3 and Ohio St. 4.

TCU should be 3 and Ohio St. 4.
Think that’s what it will be. Buckeye defense is paper soft. They’ll score against GA but GA will win that game comfortably unless Stroud just plays out of his mind. GA replaced an entire defense to the NFL with another 1. So big and physical. Guessing Michigan is favored by 6-7? Over TCU? That should be a fun game.

Georgia - 1

3 & 4 gets interesting.

Discuss.
Ya know, it's funny too, because they would absolutely do some hilarious intentional gymnastics too if they decided to include Alabama as well so they could avoid conference matchups in the semies (1 UGA vs 4 Bama / 2 Mich vs 3 OSU).

As it stands, based on how the polls have typically worked over history, TCU would drop to 4, OSU up to 3, and you'd get a Georgia vs TCU / UM vs OSU semifinal.

But unless they wanna include Bama, they're also almost forced to keep TCU in, and slide OSU up to 4 just to avoid that B10 rematch............which isn't suppose to be part of the purpose of the playoff to begin with, but again that's on the people responsible for the CFP.

Ya know, it's funny too, because they would absolutely do some hilarious intentional gymnastics too if they decided to include Alabama as well so they could avoid conference matchups in the semies (1 UGA vs 4 Bama / 2 Mich vs 3 OSU).

As it stands, based on how the polls have typically worked over history, TCU would drop to 4, OSU up to 3, and you'd get a Georgia vs TCU / UM vs OSU semifinal.

But unless they wanna include Bama, they're also almost forced to keep TCU in, and slide OSU up to 4 just to avoid that B10 rematch............which isn't suppose to be part of the purpose of the playoff to begin with, but again that's on the people responsible for the CFP.
I would agree if OSU hadn’t gotten boat raced at home in the 2nd half against Mich. No way OSU should move 2 spots after that debacle and not making the title game.

I think it will be GA, MI, TCU, OH ST in that order....and a National Championship game between GA and MI....with GA winning by 10+.

I think the 4 teams, in order, should be / will be:

1 Georgia
2 Michigan
3 TCU
4 Ohio State (only team of these 4 that did not play for a conference chamionship)

I think TCU stays at #3 based on several factors:

* On Tuesday the Committee had them ranked higher than OSU. 5 days later? I don't think that changes.

* This would keep 2 teams from the same conference from facing each other in the semi-finals. There's a precedent for this.

* As mentioned above, TCU played for a conference championship; OSU did not. TCU should not be penalized for playing for a conference title while OSU sat on a couch at home. Therefore, TCU #3, OSU #4.

* TCU #3, OSU #4 based on resume, too.

FjGElswWIAIMuQG
OSU's only loss was to a higher ranked team that is 13-0 and destroyed Purdue in the 2nd half. TCU has won very close and very late and just lost to a 3-loss team. OSU had been ranked ahead of TCU all year until they just lost to Mich and now TCU has lost.

OSU ranked #3 and I am fine with that rematch.

#1 a Big 10 team will be in the final but that is just something that follows from the fact that Mich and OSU are the # 2 and 3 teams

OSU's only loss was to a higher ranked team that is 13-0 and destroyed Purdue in the 2nd half. TCU has won very close and very late and just lost to a 3-loss team. OSU had been ranked ahead of TCU all year until they just lost to Mich and now TCU has lost.

OSU ranked #3 and I am fine with that rematch.

#1 a Big 10 team will be in the final but that is just something that follows from the fact that Mich and OSU are the # 2 and 3 teams
Agree. And another way to look at it is who would Georgia want to play? Very clearly, Georgia would say TCU. Pretend that Michigan is the one seed and they would also say TCU. It is not up to the team to pick their # 4 of course but we all know TCU is the 4th best team in the bunch.

Reactions: uihawk82
mich against osu in semis will almost certainly generate more interest and be watched by more people than the final. i think it happens.

Between OSU, TCU and UM, I think OSU is the only one that would have a chance at beating Georgia. UM would not be able to play smash mouth FB; they would not be able to wear down the Georgia defense. If TCU played GA, Duggan would get killed if he ran the ball 10+ times. The only chance against GA is to spread them out and throw mid to deep passes (like Alabama did in the 2021 SEC championship game), and also hope GA has a couple TOs.

GA is the best team by a comfortable margin, then you have 3-5 teams that are on similar levels.
You mean the Georgia team that beat Kent State (5-7) 39-22? Do you mean the Georgia team that beat Notre Dame (8-4) 20-19? Or do you mean the Georgia team that beat Kentucky (7-5) 16-6? That Georgia team? Yup. They are invincible. Just hand 'em the trophy right now and save the humanity. Or maybe let's see what happens when they face Ohio State.

TCU is 3rd.....meaning Alabama is most likely out. I think the only team they'd leave out to put Alabama in was TCU

I’d rather maximize the chance of SEC not in title game and that means Georgia playing OSU round one

Imagine if you will that its Iowa instead of OSU in this position. What do you think the odds would be they get in?

I think it will be GA, MI, TCU, OH ST in that order....and a National Championship game between GA and MI....with GA winning by 10+.
I don't see GA losing unless they got sloppy with the football. But then I didn't think Michigan would beat OSU at OSU. Certainly not the ass stomping they pulled.

Reactions: HawkDoggy
You mean the Georgia team that beat Kent State (5-7) 39-22? Do you mean the Georgia team that beat Notre Dame (8-4) 20-19? Or do you mean the Georgia team that beat Kentucky (7-5) 16-6? That Georgia team? Yup. They are invincible. Just hand 'em the trophy right now and save the humanity. Or maybe let's see what happens when they face Ohio State.
Agree. Any team has a chance, that’s why they play the game. Just glad USC lost to Utah to ensure more money for the B1G. Rest of the conference needs to step up big time and hope the Hawks will do that with transition on the offensive side of the ball and portal players to help them compete.

GA has a higher upside than any of the F4 teams, imo. That doesn’t mean they will win it.

They will admit and have before admitted that they may tweak the correct 1-4 to avoid a rematch. Michigan and OSU will not play round 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT