ADVERTISEMENT

Do we owe DeSantis an apology, again?

Low vaccination rates are a huge problem driving our current spikes, but there are other factors as well.
They are clearly the main problem.

Along with people like this.

Those are your peeps, TJ. Own them.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk

nick-saban-is-furious.gif

Congratulations Gov. Desantis! Now your Orlando constituents are getting to delay their non emergency surgeries and outpatient procedures! So proud!

ORLANDO, Fla. — AdventHealth elevated its COVID status to "black" Thursday night, as COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations continued to rise throughout the hospitals Central Florida network.

What You Need To Know

• AdventHealth has 1,000 COVID patients across its hospital network
  • Black status means non-emergency surgeries at the hospitals will be defered
  • AdventHealth says the status change allows them to secure future capacity needs

Black status means AdventHealth will defer all non-emergency surgeries at its hospitals. All hospital-based outpatient procedures will be deferred as well, and outpatient surgery sites will also only conduct time sensitive and urgent procedures.

In addition to that, time-sensitive pediatric procedures can be conducted with the approval of AdventHealth's chief medical officer.

Patients with any canceled procedures will be contacted.

The decision to elevate to black status happened after AdventHealth announced it had reached 1,000 patients with COVID throughout its network, exceeding numbers last seen in January 2021.

The hospital says 94% of those patients are unvaccinated.

“What is extraordinary is the speed at which we are currently seeing new cases, and unfortunately the slope is steep and haven't seen the end,” said Dr. Vincent Hsu, executive director at AdventHealth.

Officials with the hospital system say changing the status is a way to ensure they will have enough capacity across the network in the future, since the hospitals are designed to be expandable. Officials also say they have a good supply of ventilators, monitors and other specialized equipment needed to convert spaces to ICU level rooms as needed.

Medical leaders encourage everyone to get the COVID-19 vaccine and wear a mask indoors in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Enid Rosa tested positive for COVID-19 in February.

“I had horrible pain. I cannot explain the body aches, I was cold, I was hot,” she said.

Rosa said it got so bad she went to the hospital, was put on oxygen, and stayed there for eight days, losing more than 20 pounds.

Rosa shared her story so others understand what they may face if they contract COVID-19. She encourages everyone follow CDC guidelines.

Hsu believes if people get vaccinated and follow CDC guidelines, we could see the number of new cases stabilize by mid-August.

DeathSantis' viability as a POTUS candidate now firmly on life support. I can't say that I'm not disappointed by this turn of events. Karma is one wildly wicked bitch!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Congratulations Gov. Desantis! Now your Orlando constituents are getting to delay their non emergency surgeries and outpatient procedures! So proud!

ORLANDO, Fla. — AdventHealth elevated its COVID status to "black" Thursday night, as COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations continued to rise throughout the hospitals Central Florida network.

What You Need To Know

• AdventHealth has 1,000 COVID patients across its hospital network
  • Black status means non-emergency surgeries at the hospitals will be defered
  • AdventHealth says the status change allows them to secure future capacity needs

Black status means AdventHealth will defer all non-emergency surgeries at its hospitals. All hospital-based outpatient procedures will be deferred as well, and outpatient surgery sites will also only conduct time sensitive and urgent procedures.

In addition to that, time-sensitive pediatric procedures can be conducted with the approval of AdventHealth's chief medical officer.

Patients with any canceled procedures will be contacted.

The decision to elevate to black status happened after AdventHealth announced it had reached 1,000 patients with COVID throughout its network, exceeding numbers last seen in January 2021.

The hospital says 94% of those patients are unvaccinated.

“What is extraordinary is the speed at which we are currently seeing new cases, and unfortunately the slope is steep and haven't seen the end,” said Dr. Vincent Hsu, executive director at AdventHealth.

Officials with the hospital system say changing the status is a way to ensure they will have enough capacity across the network in the future, since the hospitals are designed to be expandable. Officials also say they have a good supply of ventilators, monitors and other specialized equipment needed to convert spaces to ICU level rooms as needed.

Medical leaders encourage everyone to get the COVID-19 vaccine and wear a mask indoors in an effort to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Enid Rosa tested positive for COVID-19 in February.

“I had horrible pain. I cannot explain the body aches, I was cold, I was hot,” she said.

Rosa said it got so bad she went to the hospital, was put on oxygen, and stayed there for eight days, losing more than 20 pounds.

Rosa shared her story so others understand what they may face if they contract COVID-19. She encourages everyone follow CDC guidelines.

Hsu believes if people get vaccinated and follow CDC guidelines, we could see the number of new cases stabilize by mid-August.

STOP THE TESTING!!!!

Holy ****! Almost 22k new cases yesterday.

Nearly 22,000 new coronavirus cases were reported in Florida on Saturday, by far the biggest one-day increase on record, with more than 10,000 people being treated for COVID-19 at hospitals across the state.

The CDC said 21,683 new cases were reported on Saturday, up from 14,258 last week and surpassing the record of 19,817 on January 7. The state also reported 108 new deaths, one of the highest death tolls in recent months.

Holy ****! Almost 22k new cases yesterday.

Nearly 22,000 new coronavirus cases were reported in Florida on Saturday, by far the biggest one-day increase on record, with more than 10,000 people being treated for COVID-19 at hospitals across the state.

The CDC said 21,683 new cases were reported on Saturday, up from 14,258 last week and surpassing the record of 19,817 on January 7. The state also reported 108 new deaths, one of the highest death tolls in recent months.

That's only because they tested so many people.

DeathSantis' viability as a POTUS candidate now firmly on life support. I can't say that I'm not disappointed by this turn of events. Karma is one wildly wicked bitch!

Is it? He is exactly what the insane 35-40% wants. They didn't abandon Cheeto due to incompetence. I can't see them kicking this fool to the curb just because he is a lunatic and a hack.

Is it? He is exactly what the insane 35-40% wants. They didn't abandon Cheeto due to incompetence. I can't see them kicking this fool to the curb just because he is a lunatic and a hack.
Even worse, Florida is going to needlessly shed another 10-20k lives, and not only will he still win as Governor and get the nomination, he very well could win. That is how full potato Florida and the US have gone.

This. With every move to go lower the Trump base cheers more loudly.
My guess is that he goes after trans kids next for spreading Covid.

Leon County School Board shoots the bird to DeSantis. Proud to say my private school here and where my kids go led the way when they announced they were doing the same yesterday morning in an email to parents. And we have no shortage of MAGAs at the school, many who are pissed. SMH.

Man. Giving it to him good. Being published in a ton of papers right now:

Listen to Gov. Ron DeSantis’ own description of his pandemic-driven priorities, and you’ll get this message: It’s money over lives.

He intends to keep Florida’s economy humming, even as hospital intensive-care units fill up with patients. More patients than ever before, in fact. Younger than those in previous waves. The number of deaths has also started to climb.

But we’ve stopped buying the governor’s rationale. It seems obvious that his own personal ambitions — magnified by the vocal but diminishing crowd of supporters who have made a political cause of minimizing COVID’s impacts and belittling scientists — are in control.

And that explains a lot.

Because we’ve wondered when DeSantis’ stubborn refusal to value these lives would erode. How long it would take for Floridians’ fear, anger and grief to break through his arrogance. Surely, he’d eventually realize that Florida’s economy will suffer lasting damage if COVID takes control as it threatens to do.

At the very least, we expected that at some point he’d understand that if Florida becomes a viral disaster zone on his watch, it could thwart his own naked hunger for higher political office.

We are losing hope. Consider the events of the past week:

From July 23-29, Florida reported 10,785 new COVID infections in school-aged children. July 30, DeSantis issued an order citing a parent’s “right to choose” to send them to school without masks. Districts that defied him were threatened with loss of funding. Some school boards — including Alachua, Duval and Broward districts — have enacted mask mandates anyway for the first few weeks of school. We hope other local school officials will follow suit, and honor Florida parents’ most important right: To know their children are safe.

Last week, Florida learned that one in five new cases of COVID in the United States are originating in this state. DeSantis should have exhibited some concern, especially after President Joe Biden called him and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott out for their lack of response to spiking numbers. Instead, DeSantis offered a disjointed stream of snapbacks, including a surly statement that he didn’t want to “hear a blip about COVID” from Biden, and accusing the president of trying to “commandeer the rights and freedoms of Floridians.”

He also gave credence to one of the silliest assertions by COVID deniers, blaming Florida’s surge in the deadly delta variant on COVID-infested people “pouring across” the southern U.S. border. That’s simply ridiculous, Governor, and you know it — your own policies are a far greater threat.

Wednesday, he met with a select group of Florida hospital officials who tried — diplomatically enough — to convey the strain they are under. Florida hospitals are postponing surgeries and scrambling for enough staff to care for the patients that keep coming, and coming. Yet the governor insists that Florida’s hospitals are doing fine.

It’s clear, by this point, who the governor is listening to. He’s not tracking the trend lines that show COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths steadily increasing. (Friday, Florida reported 22,783 new cases of COVID, its highest one-day increase ever.) He’s not listening to his own public health officials or hospital leaders, who warn that Florida’s health-care system is close to meltdown. He’s not picking up on the uneasiness of the state’s business community and tourism leaders, who worry that a reckless disregard of public health will do long-term damage to Florida’s reputation and ability to grow its economy.
Instead, he’s obsessed with playing the hero to the reality-rejecting corps of far-right activists willing to fuel ignorance and foment division, regardless of the lives it costs. He has willingly trapped himself in an echo chamber, convincing himself that blasting anti-science rhetoric and false narratives of “freedom” will propel him to greater political heights.

And thanks to a bill passed this year by the Legislature, the governor has nearly unlimited power to enforce his will. Did lawmakers foresee how much sickness and death DeSantis would be willing to overlook?

DeSantis says he’s protecting the economy: Money over lives.

But as things regress in Florida, an even more brutal equation emerges — one that puts DeSantis’ political ambitions above Florida’s health and its economy.

We’ve said this before, and it bears repeating: God help us. Because the governor won’t.

Listen to Gov. Ron DeSantis’ own description of his pandemic-driven priorities, and you’ll get this message: It’s money over lives.

He intends to keep Florida’s economy humming, even as hospital intensive-care units fill up with patients. More patients than ever before, in fact. Younger than those in previous waves. The number of deaths has also started to climb.

He's all in on "Herd immunity". He's hoping that by this time next year, everyone the virus can kill will be dead and the rest of the state will be through the worst of it....at least until there's a new variant to reinfect people. I can only hope that Floridians do not let him forget the 20-30k people who won't be around next year to make that vote. I can only hope that whoever his opponent is makes it clear that voting for DeSantis is saying you are ok saying those 20-30k people are expendable. Because you are too much of a baby to wear a mask.

Disclaimer: No, I don't how many will end up dying from this but I needed a number. Deal with it.

I Wish I Loved Anything as Much as Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Loves COVID-19​

As COVID-19 continues to sweep through the United States in whatever number wave we’re currently experiencing, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has planted himself firmly on the side of the virus.
DeSantis is doing everything he can to help the virus spread. He issued a ban on mask mandates in schools, threatening to cut funding to any school that required students to wear masks. He also recently signed an order banning government entities from issuing proof of vaccination (aka “vaccine passports”) and forbidding private businesses from requiring them.
A press release celebrating that executive order quoted one Florida State Senator as saying, “If there is one thing that this pandemic has taught us, it is that Florida continues to be the example of how to govern during these unprecedented times.”
It’s true, Florida is setting an example for how to govern—if your end goal is to give the virus a comfy, supportive place to thrive. Nearly one-fifth of all current COVID-19 cases in the U.S. are located in Florida and hospitals are filled to the brim.
From NPR:
COVID-19 patients currently occupy 19% of ICU beds in the United States; in Florida, it’s almost 44%. And only about 11% of the state’s ICU beds are available, for the time being, compared with 26% nationwide.
That’s the example DeSantis is setting.
Unfortunately for the governor and his beloved virus, DeSantis is facing mountains of opposition in his quest to make Florida COVID-19’s most hospitable vacation spot. A group of parents of disabled and immunocompromised students has filed a lawsuit against him and the state’s Department of Education, along with various school boards, claiming the ban on mask mandates in schools is a violation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Rehabilitation Act.

Another parent has filed a lawsuit on behalf of himself and his three children, two of whom are too young to receive the vaccine, one of whom has asthma, and another who “has been vaccinated but is still at risk due to the Defendants’ [DeSantis] actions.”
DeSantis also faced a legal challenge from Norwegian Cruise Line, which objected to the governor’s vaccine passport ban. The ban would impose a $5,000 fine per violation for businesses that ask customers to provide proof of vaccination. The cruise line implements a 100% vaccination policy for all crew and guests, calling it “the safest and most prudent way to resume cruise operations amid this global pandemic.”
If you remember, cruise ships were some of the earliest and most terrifying coronavirus hotbeds, a heyday to which DeSantis is apparently determined to return.
A federal judge ruled in favor of the cruise line, granting it a preliminary injunction, blocking the ban and allowing the company to require proof of vaccination.
This has to be a blow to DeSantis, who appears to be in some sort of Bachelor–type competition with Texas Governor Greg Abbott to win the virus’ affections.

In Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick’s Texas:
– schools will lose funding if they offer online schooling
– schools cannot require masks
– schools do not need to contact trace nor inform parents of a positive case in the classroom
The contempt for public education is unconscionable.
— Mike Collier (@CollierForTexas) August 9, 2021

https://www.themarysue.com/ron-desantis-fighting-for-covid-19/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT