ADVERTISEMENT

Do you always lock your house and car doors at night?

This is not a lie….there is a poster on this site who sometimes lives with his mother across the street from me….in the last year he has been arrested about 10 times for theft, burglary, etc….so yea, everyone in this neighborhood locks their cars, houses, sheds, etc every night.

If he’s been arrested ten times in a year why is he even out of jail? He should have his own room in the Graybar Hotel. 🤬

Reactions: HawkFan1298
Back sliding door is rarely locked and front door is only locked when I'm gone and its just the wife and kid home. My truck is never locked. I hate locked doors.

This is interesting. You live in the middle of nowhere and never lock your doors...but you have a gun by the bedside.
Maybe lock the door and you don’t need a gun that could end up being used on you? I dunno but this seems a little off to me.
Locked doors pretty much only keep honest people out criminals not so much.

• Haha
You live in rural Iowa in the middle of nowhere?!
no-way-213f11.jpg
Yeah it's true nearest town has 2 houses and a restaurant.

Locked doors pretty much only keep honest people out criminals not so much.
We all hear that, but if your next door neighbor- even the one a quarter mile down the road - locks his doors and you don’t - the bad guy will pick you every time. It’s the path of least resistance.

My neighborhood is super safe so I never lock any doors. I also leave my keys in my car along with the car title that I have already signed for when I sell it in the future. It is the type of neighborhood where you can just leave your laptop unlocked on your porch and have an excel on your desktop called passwords. It was always a dream of mine to have a house like this, a house that when I get home I can just toss my wallet on the sidewalk, and the next morning go pick it up when I go to work and still have all of the cash in it.

My neighborhood is super safe so I never lock any doors. I also leave my keys in my car along with the car title that I have already signed for when I sell it in the future. It is the type of neighborhood where you can just leave your laptop unlocked on your porch and have an excel on your desktop called passwords. It was always a dream of mine to have a house like this, a house that when I get home I can just toss my wallet on the sidewalk, and the next morning go pick it up when I go to work and still have all of the cash in it.
wow, liberal utopia. we can't have that.

You should also make 100 copies of your driver's license and Social Security card and scatter them around your neighborhood.

Why not? 😆

Reactions: Moral
I lock the house when I think of it. Vehicles are usually in the driveway, keys-in. They are a couple of soft targets (coal mine canaries) that might let me know if I need to think a little more about locking the house consistently. My last house was really rural and actually didn’t have keys, lol.

Car is in garage. House is locked with security system activated. The security system has been set off by accident and the police were at my home in a little under 2 minutes.

For an extra layer of safety. If criminals break into your garage, your cars will be much harder to enter if you lock them.

It seems like a pretty silly precaution. At any given time there are dozens of cars in the neighborhood parked outside. The idea that a car thief would bypass them and noisily break into a garage in order to steal a car strains imagination.

Front door is usually locked. If we take a walk around the block, we don’t lock it.

my wife always locks her car doors and I hardly ever lock mine.

growing up, our front door lock never worked, therefore we never locked the door.

• Wow
Heck yeah I do. Live in Des Moines neighborhoods and have ring with cameras in the front and back porch along with inside centralized system. Cars are parked in the garage and I will lock the door to the garage each night. I love murder shows but it's also my worst enemy in always being extra safe and paranoid.
Hell yes I lock house and car doors. Used to live in Beaverdale neighborhood and too many shitheads trying to break into things. Moved to a different part of Des Moines but no matter where I lived the doors would be locked. Too many dumb shits out there …

Last edited:
It seems like a pretty silly precaution. At any given time there are dozens of cars in the neighborhood parked outside. The idea that a car thief would bypass them and noisily break into a garage in order to steal a car strains imagination.

It's silly until your car gets ransacked.

What's the downside to locking it?

Nada

Reactions: Moral
Didn't realize that there are so many HROTers who can't put their cars in the garage, given the dearth of poors here.
Some of us have our expensive toys in the garage. Tell me more about the 03 Honda Civic you keep locked up tight.¹111
There hasn't been a house broken into in my town since before I was born. Not really much of a need.

Reactions: NI hawk
Front door is usually locked. If we take a walk around the block, we don’t lock it.

my wife always locks her car doors and I hardly ever lock mine.

growing up, our front door lock never worked, therefore we never locked the door.
We will leave for the day, shopping or whatever, and not lock the door. Basically only if we are leaving town for the weekend or something.

Some of us have our expensive toys in the garage. Tell me more about the 03 Honda Civic you keep locked up tight.¹111

There hasn't been a house broken into in my town since before I was born. Not really much of a need.
My Hondas are 2015 and 2017. Seems to me if you have expensive toys you should be able to afford a place to keep them.

Reactions: artradley
This is interesting. You live in the middle of nowhere and never lock your doors...but you have a gun by the bedside.
Maybe lock the door and you don’t need a gun that could end up being used on you? I dunno but this seems a little off to me.
Locking a door doesn't "compensate" for anything...

• Haha
Home in CR near Kirkwood yes, cabin in NE Iowa only when gone (never lock vehicles there unless parked at the public boat ramp).

Vehicles at home...yes for 2 of them, no for one because absolutely nothing worth stealing in it and the factory alarm seems to have a nasty habit in warm months of going off when nothing is amiss. I've read it's some sort of issue related to heat and humidity with the module that runs it...not really necessary to replace given the worth of the vehicle and the expense of a replacement module.

I have a saying that came from an old job that had employee storage lockers without locks (had to provide your own)...never give an otherwise honest person the opportunity to become a thief.

If you don't want something stolen, however unlikely - lock it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT