ADVERTISEMENT

Do you care about the abortion issue?

I am pro-choice, but it is annoying issues because some pro-lifers need to mind their own effing business. So many important issues get back burnered because of some people's perceived piousness.

I have a good deal of issues I rank above abortion.

To the guys saying they don't care one way or the other, I look at it as the bigger issue of the state getting to tell anyone what will happen inside their bodies. It inherently puts women into second-class citizenship. If I don't want someone in my house, I get to kill them and no jury in the land would ever convict me, but if the rightwing minority had its way, if my wife had someone inside her she didn't want there, she'd be forced to carry it to term. Of course the second it was more than 0 seconds old, we'd be on our own feeding it and raising it.

I get it, I’m pro-choice, too. But as a stand-alone issue it’s not nearly worth the attention it gets. IMO.

As an obsitent prick, I don't want people telling me what to do. I also don't want some old, hypocritical bible thumper to feel like he has the right to tell my two girls what they should do with their body and possibly change the trajectory of their lives, so... maybe it is worth the attention it gets.

It is core to the "individual freedom" thing we are so proud of.

Something like 24% of women have an abortion by 45 and 862k abortions were done in the US in 2017. I’d say, if outlawed, it will have significant consequences including a rollback of the progress made in women’s rights and the explosion of back alley and black market abortions. This will end up affecting most all of us, in some manner and the ramifications will spill over into other individual rights, also. My thought process is that it further constrains individual rights, and in a time of mass surveillance and governmental intrusion, it should make all Americans very nervous.

Something like 24% of women have an abortion by 45 and 862k abortions were done in the US in 2017. I’d say, if outlawed, it will have significant consequences including a rollback of the progress made in women’s rights and the explosion of back alley and black market abortions. This will end up affecting most all of us, in some manner and the ramifications will spill over into other individual rights, also.

Beyond that, the studies also show increase in broken families, decrease in education and increase in crime.

Personally, I don’t care one bit

I care about the unnecessary costs for all the government support when people are forced to carry a pregnancy to term. It has a two-pronged negative effect: costs more to fund the programs to feed and medicate kids on welfare, and it maintains the cycle of poverty for their parents AND for them.

It should be made legal for health insurers to hike their rates for any plans that do not provide free access to birth control, because actuarially, the costs for the deliveries and other care far exceed the costs for birth control.

I also think that if some states want to ban abortions, then all unwanted pregnancies denied an abortion in those states need to be cataloged, and those states are now fully responsible for the welfare costs for those kids until they are 18 - regardless of which state they move to. Tack on a new payroll tax for those states, so the rest of America ain't paying for it. Those states can reimburse everyone else for the costs they are imposing upon us. If banning abortions is that sacred to them, then ante up the $$ for the externalized costs they're forcing on the rest of us.

I care about the unnecessary costs for all the government support when people are forced to carry a pregnancy to term. It has a two-pronged negative effect: costs more to fund the programs to feed and medicate kids on welfare, and it maintains the cycle of poverty for their parents AND for them.

It should be made legal for health insurers to hike their rates for any plans that do not provide free access to birth control, because actuarially, the costs for the deliveries and other care far exceed the costs for birth control.

I also think that if some states want to ban abortions, then all unwanted pregnancies denied an abortion in those states need to be cataloged, and those states are now fully responsible for the welfare costs for those kids until they are 18 - regardless of which state they move to. Tack on a new payroll tax for those states, so the rest of America ain't paying for it. Those states can reimburse everyone else for the costs they are imposing upon us. If banning abortions is that sacred to them, then ante up the $$ for the externalized costs they're forcing on the rest of us.
Interesting thoughts.
I was inartful in saying I don’t care one bit. I do care, and my preference would be status quo. I just get frustrated that this issue will now dominate over every other issue on the table - COVID, the environment, income inequality, climate change, foreign policy, tax policy, immigration, etc.

Walked away to work on stuff, but Im back. Funny that the vast majority or all of the responses are from guys. And I feel like that is representative of this issue.

Where are all the women who should be in this thread? I mean, maybe they are all off taking care of the kids they didn't want. ? Or perhaps they are just sitting quietly letting the men debate for them, I mean, after all

34695982.jpg

I am pro-choice, but it is annoying issues because some pro-lifers need to mind their own effing business. So many important issues get back burnered because of some people's perceived piousness.

This irks me. I am liberal on many fronts but am pro life. Minding one’s own business with regard to the unborn, to me, is akin to minding one’s own business with an abused child. It is one of the more interesting things to me how fiercely the left advocates for children or not, depending on what side of the womb the kid is. With that said, the issue is not as important to me as getting trump the hell out of office.

States cannot ban them - it is not up to them.

was
This irks me. I am liberal on many fronts but am pro life. Minding one’s own business with regard to the unborn, to me, is akin to minding one’s own business with an abused child. It is one of the more interesting things to me how fiercely the left advocates for children or not, depending on what side of the womb the kid is. With that said, the issue is not as important to me as getting trump the hell out of office.

You know about an abused child via e posy really. Other than butting into others business, how would you know about an abortion?

was

You know about an abused child via e posy really. Other than butting into others business, how would you know about an abortion?
Your typos make it difficult to know exactly what your point is. Anecdotally, I know about an abortion that did not happen - me - who was adopted after birth. I much prefer to take matters into my own hands as to whether I would be one of Joe’s place’s financial burdens or someone who is financially successful with a professional degree paying for everyone else’s shit with my taxes.

Sort of agree. I'm not at all in favor of partial-birth abortions, but otherwise abortion is not way up there on my list of issues that I base my vote on.

Last edited:
Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
Walked away to work on stuff, but Im back. Funny that the vast majority or all of the responses are from guys. And I feel like that is representative of this issue.

Where are all the women who should be in this thread? I mean, maybe they are all off taking care of the kids they didn't want. ? Or perhaps they are just sitting quietly letting the men debate for them, I mean, after all

34695982.jpg
I'm here. :(

Your typos make it difficult to know exactly what your point is. Anecdotally, I know about an abortion that did not happen - me - who was adopted after birth. I much prefer to take matters into my own hands as to whether I would be one of Joe’s place’s financial burdens or someone who is financially successful with a professional degree paying for everyone else’s shit with my taxes.
This I-phone thing is bulkshit. I’m done. Sorry.

Reactions: Tenacious E

34695982.jpg

I've made my thoughts on this very clear. It's a medical procedure and no government entity should interfere.

34695982.jpg

This place is overwhelmingly men with a handful of women that post regularly? How many women did you think would respond?

This place is overwhelmingly men with a handful of women that post regularly? How many women did you think would respond?

Well.......you see, hawkbirch and Wendy.......this is all about White Men.

White Men should be able to tell you that you cannot get an abortion, because it's against God or unethical or whatever.

But, when White Men knock up a prostitute, they should be able to get that prostitute an abortion to cover up their impropriety, without question.

Or, if they work in the WH and they knock up their mistress, they have to be able to hand her, unknowingly, a Plan B smoothie, to abort the fetus and take care of the problem. Can't have any White Men in power inconvenienced by child support or having their wife find out about this shit, y'know.

Also, women really shouldn't even be voting in this country, because that's just screwing things up for White Men, too. In fact, women shouldn't even be on the internet, because their place is in the kitchen, cooking and cleaning.

.......and.......what are you doing on here, anyway? As a White Man, I think you need to get your ass back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!!!!:mad:

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I think it should remain a hot issue, maybe not the top issue, but should always be in the top five. There is a lot we still do not fully understand about the full lifecycle of abortion. By that I mean we still have a lot of work to do to quantify the indirect consequences of abortion. The NIH has reported that abortion is associated with higher rates of mental-illness. More research needs to be done here. There are indirect costs of abortion that society bares that we still do not fully understand. No woman walks out of an abortion clinic with a big smile on her face. The shame they bare and how to treat that is still an issue medicine is learning about. What about women who are pressured into an abortion from their partner and/or partner’s family? That is not fully quantified either.

Additionally, if you look at abortion as a process, it is a lagging indicator and not a leading indicator. If you really want to solve a problem, you should look at the leading indicators. Unwanted pregnancy is a result of poor family planning practices in society. More Education in optimal family planning is needed. Further, more funding and less red-tape needs to occur in state & federal adoption laws. Often, it can be easier to adopt a foreign child than it is in to get one in this country. If mother’s facing unwanted pregnancy understood that a loving, caring family is readily available they will be more likely to carry to term knowing they have the ability to make a positive impact in someone else’s life.

Lastly, as a Christian, this is where I believe the church can step up more. If every congregation in America had one family adopt or foster one child, we could end this debate overnight. Think about that. Then think about that again & again. My church does wrap-around ministry so support families who want to adopt and/or foster. More of that is needed. We can solve this problem without a single selfish asshole in Washington. The power, as always, is in the people’s hands.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6207970/

Reactions: Ol' Dirty Bastard
Women would still have to undergo unwanted medical procedures if forced to remain pregnant. And their safety and lives would be at risk.

Also, there are a LOT of kids in foster care as it is, many of whom are available for adoption, so there's nothing stopping churches or anyone else from adopting.

ADVERTISEMENT