ADVERTISEMENT

Do you consider your political opposite "less than human?"

Hawki97

HB Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
It's a dangerous rubicon to cross and one that has proven to be quite deadly in history. Online rhetoric - while certainly not a valid temperature check - would seem like many have made this jump. What say you? IRL have you made the jump where you consider the opposition "vermin?"

FWIW. I look down on people that don't think like me and consider them to be mostly uninformed and uneducated rubes. Because I'm right. I do still consider them humans though. Just dumb ones.

There is a dangerous cycle in our current politics where people have a hard time with others who have different opinions. People associate opinions or policies with morals and then that in turn becomes part of your identity. So when you disagree with somebody on a policy it isn't just that you have different ideas on how to address a problem it is that the other person is morally corrupt. The political parties encourage this through their rhetoric because it is an effective way to engage their voters.

I have contempt for all humans, except the No Pic. She's mean and would hurt me for that kind of attitude
200w.gif

It's a dangerous rubicon to cross and one that has proven to be quite deadly in history. Online rhetoric - while certainly not a valid temperature check - would seem like many have made this jump. What say you? IRL have you made the jump where you consider the opposition "vermin?"

FWIW. I look down on people that don't think like me and consider them to be mostly uninformed and uneducated rubes. Because I'm right. I do still consider them humans though. Just dumb ones.
Online but not in person correct? Do you walk up to every person you see wearing Trump apparel and call them uneducated uninformed rubes. Face to face you tell them they are still a human just dumb?
So really people like you can only be the person you want to be online. How sad is that. I can guarantee most of us live our lives the way we post online. I don't live in a shell or lie because I can't tell someone face to face what I really think. Fitness guru Jillian left California for that very reason.

There is a dangerous cycle in our current politics where people have a hard time with others who have different opinions. People associate opinions or policies with morals and then that in turn becomes part of your identity. So when you disagree with somebody on a policy it isn't just that you have different ideas on how to address a problem it is that the other person is morally corrupt. The political parties encourage this through their rhetoric because it is an effective way to engage their voters.
Agree to a point.

But let’s say you have 5 options to achieve a set of policies. You could have 4 choices with relatively little baggage and achieve these policy goals. But instead, you pick the one option who is an ignorant, narcissistic, corrupt, ethics-free individual. Maybe there’s more in play than “policy”?

Online but not in person correct? Do you walk up to every person you see wearing Trump apparel and call them uneducated uninformed rubes. Face to face you tell them they are still a human just dumb?
So really people like you can only be the person you want to be online. How sad is that. I can guarantee most of us live our lives the way we post online. I don't live in a shell or lie because I can't tell someone face to face what I really think. Fitness guru Jillian left California for that very reason.

I don't engage with people beneath me in person - so none of this is my concern.

Last edited:
I don't engage with people beneath me in person - so none of this is my concern.
Sorry, you live in society and engage people daily. Does that meen you ask political affiliation with everyone you meet? You must work in a very shallow profession if you are not engaging anyone beneath you political wise or you are actually the bottom feeder and have a delusional issue.

Sorry, you live in society and engage people daily. Does that meen you ask political affiliation with everyone you meet? You must work in a very shallow profession if you are not engaging anyone beneath you political wise or you are actually the bottom feeder and have a delusional issue.

I tolerate people daily. Just like I'd probably tolerate you if we crossed paths.

You'd have to earn engagement. You're not getting off on a good foot.

I tolerate people daily. Just like I'd probably tolerate you if we crossed paths.

You'd have to earn engagement. You're not getting off on a good foot.
You just re-established your position as you stated you don't engage people beneath you but now you tolerate people. Actually you only express your opinion anonymously.
You've already engaged me so I must have "earned it". How do you know I have feet? You play as shallow as you post You wouldn't tolerate a person like me, you would run...

You just re-established your position as you stated you don't engage people beneath you but now you tolerate people. Actually you only express your opinion anonymously.
You've already engaged me so I must have "earned it". How do you know I have feet? You play as shallow as you post You wouldn't tolerate a person like me, you would run...

Three interactions and the internet tough guy comes out. I love it. Too easy though. Tell me more, but make it quick because my conference call ends in 15 minutes.

IRL have you made the jump where you consider the opposition "vermin?"

No need to insult vermin.

Heck, I don't even consider all Democrats fully human. What chance do most Republicans have?

OK, OK, they are human. But that's a really low bar. Apparently.

If God actually existed, he would have given some other species a shot a long time ago.

Reactions: Hawki97

Same, except pedophiles and Jihadists are subhuman

Reactions: SA_Hawk
Three interactions and the internet tough guy comes out. I love it. Too easy though. Tell me more, but make it quick because my conference call ends in 15 minutes.
Definitely wrong about the intranet tough guy part. We had already established the fact you do not express yourself in person the way you interact on this board. I very early on told you Im the same person on this board as I am in person. Big difference. I interacted with you because of your initial post starting this thread. The premise of most of the people on this board is this is a place they can talk in a way they never would in public.

153ed6d8-8fbd-4d93-91a5-8256e335935b_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Hawki97
I disagree. A good percentage talk smack that wouldn’t if they were face to face. For instance, if I think somebody is stupid online I will not hesitate to call them a dipshit. Probably wouldn’t do that face to face. It is an outlet to do that here. In real world I am not much for confrontation…

I know a lot of Romney voters and didn't dislike anyone of them. Still friends with them. It's different now with the gomer-chud MAGAs who make it their personality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT