ADVERTISEMENT

Do you feel sad when you get rid of a vehicle you’ve had for a long time?

Weird to be attached to inanimate objects, but I get a little verklempt when I hand over the keys to a car or truck I’ve had for a long time. Kids, adventures with family…stuff like that comes to mind. Always been too sentimental.

How about you?

No. I drive cars until the wheels fall off. By the time I part with them, I hate them.

Yep. I currently own 3 vehicles, and I keep the two extras because I would hate myself getting rid of them. That and I like having backup vehicles.

They're the two vehicles I have owned the longest in my entire life and while beginning to rust a little they still run and look pretty damn good. So, why get rid of them?

I'll drive them until the engine or transmission gives out. My bet is I can get a decade out of at least one of them given they both only get a couple thousand miles per year on them.

I don't care how old they are - good vehicles are worth keeping.

Sure.

Don't necessarily have to attach any good memories of adventures or family either. Last car was just such a dang good car, and pretty cool looking too 😢.

I always drove crappers until our current vehicles. So no, not at all. I ordered my truck and plan to drive it until it dies. Hoping my oldest can drive it in a decade when he turns 16. At 13 years old, that would still be newer than any car I had until I was a practicing attending.

Hell yeah, I'm old enough to have grown up in a car culture yet. My kids see them as appliances, but other than a 1991 piece of s*** Ford Taurus, I've liked and missed pretty much all the vehicles I've ever had.

I've had some pretty sweet cars, but honestly my Toyota Sienna was one of my faves - hated to see it go. Still keep in touch with the guy that bought it. Still going strong at 250k

Yes. Won’t get rid of my Subaru because it has claw marks from my favorite dog Otis. Had him put down 8 years ago and still think of him every time I look at that console. As @Breastman said a lot of good memories of family members and friends who’ve been in that car. I’m a sentimental old bastard.

The good ones for sure. Just happened for me last week. I had a 2015 Explorer with 152k I traded in for a new one because (warning humble brag approaching) as a Principal at my company I get a car allowance but it has to be less than 7 years old / 150k miles. Lot of good memories and it was running fine - never had a single mechanical issue. Felt disloyal, like dumping your wife of 40 years with no warning for an 18 year old Tri Delt at FSU. I would have kept driving it if not for losing a nice job perk.

Only once. Most of them are just cars, most pretty good and I liked them. A couple were...meh.

My Mazdaspeed3, however...when I hit a deer with it and realized they were going to total it, I felt like a buddy just died. That was 4 years ago, still miss it.

I did grow up at a time when car culture was a real thing, and I have great memories relating to every car I’ve owned, but I’ve never been sentimental about any of them.

I inherited my late (no pics) Grandma's car when my Grandpa stopped driving. It had been sitting in the driveway for about a half a year so my fiancee (no pics) talked me into selling it. I feel like I sold one of the last few pieces of my Grandma I had left.

ADVERTISEMENT