ADVERTISEMENT

Do you form a PAC16 or a Big XVI?

SchwartzUndGold

Team MVP
Nov 20, 2019
It's premature to figure out the future of conferences until all the dust has settled with the expansion of the B10 to 16 teams and the possibility of more. However, one must consider the consequences for the remainder of the Pac 12. The immediate thought is the B12 and PAC 10 could form some arrangement.

Over in B12 land the thought is that it can pick off some PAC 10 teams and be a more attractive conference. I'm not sure the B12ers have considered that it is a two way highway. Looking at the current B12 there are some teams that might find joining the PAC 10 to be better than staying in the B12.

Kansas, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Texas Tech added to the PAC10 would be a better fit and more attractive to the media. Adding San Diego State would make a very good conference. Sorry, but adding BYU, Houston, and Central Florida has less cache than being part of the Big 12.

It's premature to figure out the future of conferences until all the dust has settled with the expansion of the B10 to 16 teams and the possibility of more. However, one must consider the consequences for the remainder of the Pac 12. The immediate thought is the B12 and PAC 10 could form some arrangement.

Over in B12 land the thought is that it can pick off some PAC 10 teams and be a more attractive conference. I'm not sure the B12ers have considered that it is a two way highway. Looking at the current B12 there are some teams that might find joining the PAC 10 to be better than staying in the B12.

Kansas, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Texas Tech added to the PAC10 would be a better fit and more attractive to the media. Adding San Diego State would make a very good conference. Sorry, but adding BYU, Houston, and Central Florida has less cache than being part of the Big 12.
I think the safe bet is that we're going to undergo another major shakeup, one that will end up with some aspects nobody can predict now. The Big XII is still in a state of flux, despite the agreements that have been made. Right now, it's a 10-team league that's going to be a 14-team league for two years, then drop to 12 teams. I can see adding the two Arizona schools if the Pac 10 implodes with the departure of USC and UCLA. But I'm still coming to grips with the idea of Penn State being in the Big Ten, so there's that.......

If that much.
4rWZ.gif

Oregon, Washington, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma St. and Kansas all have to be on the phone right now.

P12 has the names, contract and leverage over the B12. Assuming they don’t lose 4-6 more teams.

Reactions: mikesright
Kansas and Baylor to Pac 12.
Helps Pac 12 and weakens Big 12.
Some of these Pac12 teams are not just going to sit around and wait for Baylor to join.

Oregon (Nike) is probably offering to sponsor the entire conference. The Nike Conference.

Washington will be next.

Do the new alignments drop the nonsensical names? As there haven't been 10 teams in the Big Ten for a very long time, is this the time when there's a grab for even more money to sell league sponsorship naming rights? Or do those in charge keep up the pretense of a connection to the historic Big Ten for brand recognition and marketing purposes?

I think if Oregon/Sanford/Wash stay are big variables. If they do adding the Texas schools and OK St would still be an OK conference. More like ACC but could still be viable. Kansas would make sense if football wasn't abysmal

Of course they’re keeping the name.

southeast conference is not just southeast
Teams

Atlantic coast conference includes teams not on the coast

pacific coast conference includes teams not on the coast

but only b10 is criticized for name

Reactions: FWIW4922463
Do the new alignments drop the nonsensical names? As there haven't been 10 teams in the Big Ten for a very long time, is this the time when there's a grab for even more money to sell league sponsorship naming rights? Or do those in charge keep up the pretense of a connection to the historic Big Ten for brand recognition and marketing purposes?
No because the big 10 name is a valuable commondity

Reactions: FWIW4922463

I think that it might end up being the big XVIII, with two more Pac 12 schools added.

I think the top 6 of what's left of each of the Pac 12 & big 12 get snatched up, so 12 teams will divide up amongst the SEC and B1G.

The rest will be outliers looking to fill out the remaining space in the big 12 and pac 12. Your BYU's, Boise States, etc. will now get a seat.

MW, WAC, MAC, Sun Belt will eventually dissolve.

ACC will survive with the soon full membership of Notre Dame & a few others.

ADVERTISEMENT