ADVERTISEMENT

Do you help stranded motorists?

Your a good man jelly. Living just outside Chicago I am afraid I'll catch the dead on most my routes. My neighborhood floods pretty bad about once a year and we just hang in the garage boozin waiting for cars to drive thru the flood and kill their engine then we push em out. The last flood claimed 6 cars

rLlceP_KgiD_1yVoG6cGQJLoigEd93A81ImhKkSZs4E.jpg

Reactions: JWolf74
I’m not much of a wrench, but given what I do for a living, what I drive, and the tools I carry in my truck, I like to help whenever I can. Last night after a long day of pushing snow, I wanted to head out and catch the Iowa game (my first mistake). I went home to shower and change clothes, swoop of my lady friend, and head to grab a beer.

After the ass kicking was through, said lady friend (no pics) offered to drive as I was incredibly tired and depressed. To get home we have to take a few rural roads which were in rough shape. We came upon some lights in the ditch and I asked her to pull over to see if we could help. I knocked on the window and the driver rolled the window down. It was a high school girl in a pair of shorts just sobbing and I offered to help.

She had completely buried her car and I grabbed a shovel and dug underneath and attempted to push. No luck. I kept digging and again tried to push. Not happening. My tow rope broke pulling someone out last year so I tried pulling her out with a ratchet strap and of course, the damn thing snapped. I got under her car and tried to rig up the strap and got another strap from my truck. At this point, bordering on frostbite, her parents and boyfriend showed up and between the truck and a little push, we were able to get the car to safety. Come to find out, the girl had the car in cruise control on a road that was a sheet of ice. The dad offered money which I declined, shook hands, and off we went.

I know TL;FR and /csb, but what is your policy in said situation?
Dear Penthouse,

Last night I was driving home after a hard day's work and came upon some lights in the ditch, so I pulled over to see if I could help. She must have thought I was a cop because she rolled down her window and showed me her drivers license.

Turns out she was an incredibly hot twenty-year-old college girl wearing only shorts and just sobbing, so I offered to help. I dug underneath and attempted to push. No luck. I kept digging and again tried to push. Not happening. At this point her boyfriend showed up, so I jumped in my truck and got the hell out of there.

Do you tow for a living Jimbo?
God no, I can't think of a worse job. When do cars go into ditches? In bad weather, after bars close, in the middle of the night, holiday weekends, etc...

I've pulled my share of cement trucks, cranes, pump trucks, dump trucks and skid loaders out of the mud and ice and it was usually in the dark and cold. This time of year comes to mind when DST goes off and boom, it's dark at 5 and you're working by truck lights...

Reactions: jellyfish10
Depends on the circumstances. If I think I can help I will.
This. If it were a car in the ditch with lights on, I'd definitely have my driver pull over and tell him to help, and that I wouldn't dock his pay for the delay.

Reactions: jasonrann
It's a funny meme but I was on I-29 north by Elk Point, SD. I meant to turn off the interstate in Elk Point but the visibility was so bad I did not realize missed the exit until I was on top of the overpass past the exit. That bad out couldn't see past the headlights.

I was trying to get off at the Vermillion, SD exit about 10 miles up the road, going 5 mph, freaking out. I thought I was at the exit so started making the turn. Wrong move. Drove square down into the ditch. W

in my Dodge 4x4 so just stepped on the gas. Was driving about 20 mph through the ditch, full visibility, could see the cars stacked up in a slow crawl on the interstate to my left. Drove about a mile and found the exit and drove right up on it. That was a piss your pants, white knuckler, white out.

You don’t live in Iowa do you?
I grew up in Iowa and i'd feel like a jerk if I didn't help someone stranded. I've changed tires in ice storms, pulled people out of the ditch, and helped push cars. I never assume someone else will help, and i'd feel pretty bad if I heard some family froze to death and I had a chance to help them but didn't.

I'll stop and help, most times. Last year I was on a very slick county road and came upon a car in the ditch. Slowed down enough to see the person was on their cell phone. Was at the bottom of a hill and realized if I stopped to "help", which no way I could anyways, I would only compound the problem if somebody came down that hill and I was stopped in the lane/on the tight shoulder. I moved on knowing they were calling for help. No need to make a bad situation worse.

Also will not give a "jump" to any beater cars with dead batteries. That happened to me once a long time ago and I made the mistake in letting the guy get a jump. He screwed up the connection, reversed it somehow, and fried some fuses and electronics on my truck. F that noise. My fault for not doing the hook up myself, but damn.

Reactions: Project MKUltra
Crazy timing. About 4pm today our doorbell rang. My wife called down to me in my office and asked if I could come upstairs.

Came up to find a young girl in our foyer that had a flat tire about a block away and was going door to door asking if someone could change her tire.

Figure it never hurts to make a deposit in the old Karma bank, so I threw on some warm gear and went out and changed her tire.

She told me the next time I’m in firebirds to ask for her and my dinner was on the house.

so I got that goin for me. CSB

Crazy timing. About 4pm today our doorbell rang. My wife called down to me in my office and asked if I could come upstairs.

Came up to find a young girl in our foyer that had a flat tire about a block away and was going door to door asking if someone could change her tire.

Figure it never hurts to make a deposit in the old Karma bank, so I threw on some warm gear and went out and changed her tire.

She told me the next time I’m in firebirds to ask for her and my dinner was on the house.

so I got that goin for me. CSB
You're missing one detail....

You can't help push a car out of a ditch?

tenor.gif
Can't say I've ever seen a car off the road in a ditch where pushing it out would be an option. Seen it where a tow truck might help. My car might pull a Smart car out if I had a tow rope. But I don't. And I wouldn't - too many liability issues. Check to make sure they have a phone and have made contact with someone. I'd let them use my phone if they needed it.

I have never not stopped to help pull anyone out of a snowbank. Of course, living in central Florida my whole life it's a rather rare occurrence.

I've stopped a couple of times to help someone change a flat tire, and I've given people a jump if I come out of a store/restaurant & they are in need. Outside of those things, I have exactly zero mechanical skills & knowledge of how to fix a broken down care. I guess if someone needed me to hold a flashlight while they tinkered with something, I could figure out how to do that.

After reading this yesterday, ended up helping someone start her car in my parking ramp after work. Her battery was toast. Work gave these out with the company logo last year that I keep in my laptop bag. Never used it and honestly didn't have much faith in it, but nope, hooked it up to her battery and car started right up.

bb6e9f61-9216-466b-8d37-5a3d2abbb702_1.8e8b474fe7e3790011b01c634b5bc3e7.jpeg

tenor.gif

I gotta get me a pair of those.

I’m not much of a wrench, but given what I do for a living, what I drive, and the tools I carry in my truck, I like to help whenever I can. Last night after a long day of pushing snow, I wanted to head out and catch the Iowa game (my first mistake). I went home to shower and change clothes, swoop of my lady friend, and head to grab a beer.

After the ass kicking was through, said lady friend (no pics) offered to drive as I was incredibly tired and depressed. To get home we have to take a few rural roads which were in rough shape. We came upon some lights in the ditch and I asked her to pull over to see if we could help. I knocked on the window and the driver rolled the window down. It was a high school girl in a pair of shorts just sobbing and I offered to help.

She had completely buried her car and I grabbed a shovel and dug underneath and attempted to push. No luck. I kept digging and again tried to push. Not happening. My tow rope broke pulling someone out last year so I tried pulling her out with a ratchet strap and of course, the damn thing snapped. I got under her car and tried to rig up the strap and got another strap from my truck. At this point, bordering on frostbite, her parents and boyfriend showed up and between the truck and a little push, we were able to get the car to safety. Come to find out, the girl had the car in cruise control on a road that was a sheet of ice. The dad offered money which I declined, shook hands, and off we went.

I know TL;FR and /csb, but what is your policy in said situation?

Wait a minute....no one commented on this ?? This place is a mere image of its former self !!!!

Hmm, I tend to help if medical emergencies. Had a high number of them.

1. Came up on a wreck on an Iowa 2 lane where someone tried to pass and hit the oncoming car. Bunch of disoriented people walking on the road. I got them off the road. Oncoming car had a lady that was pinned in the steering wheel but was conscious. Accounted for everyone on the scene except the lady who did the passing. Turns out she was unconscious, pinned in the car. There was a fire under her hood. I couldn't get her out so I ran up the road as cars were piling up. Couldn't believe truckers aren't required to carry fire extinguishers. Me and a bunch of guys tried to get her out but couldn't. Fire started coming around the sides and you could hear hoses hissing and popping. I said we need to leave her but people refused. Eventually local fire got there put out the car, jaws of life the roofed, and helicoptered her to UofI. Fire is the only time you should remove someone from a vehicle.

2. I came up to a T bone accident that I didn't see but must of literally just happened. An unrestrained, pregnant passenger was thrown forward in the backseat. She clearly broke the orbit of her eye. Her eye was 5 times worse than Rocky 1. Here husband was dragging her out of the car. I told him to leave her their until paramedics showed up because she may have a neck or back injury. Then he started threatening and swearing at me so I left him alone. Ambulance showed up. EMTs walked up and I gave them my clinical summary and then walked off. "Late 20s, early 30s Hispanic female who appears to be 8 to 9 months pregnant. She's got a 3 cm right eye laceration with obvious orbital fracture. Husband is disoriented and combative with minor injuries. I recommend you get police back up." They were like, "who the eff is this guy?

3. I was driving around Dubuque because my kids fell asleep in the car on our way to a wedding reception. I drove onto the island where greyhound park. They have a camping area. As I was turning around two squad cars came by doing 70. I was curious what was going on and a bunch of people were running. They said someone had drowned. I drove over, found some guy in the crowd and said watch my kids. Two cops were down the hill on the beach and had started CPR. I asked if they have ever done it before and took over. Took a couple of minutes for paramedics to show up. He was drunk and had attempted to swim out against the current to the buoy 100 yards out and drowned. He was too big to pull up the rock beach so they launched the river rescue team. Found out later he didn't make it.

Hmm, I tend to help if medical emergencies. Had a high number of them.

1. Came up on a wreck on an Iowa 2 lane where someone tried to pass and hit the oncoming car. Bunch of disoriented people walking on the road. I got them off the road. Oncoming car had a lady that was pinned in the steering wheel but was conscious. Accounted for everyone on the scene except the lady who did the passing. Turns out she was unconscious, pinned in the car. There was a fire under her hood. I couldn't get her out so I ran up the road as cars were piling up. Couldn't believe truckers aren't required to carry fire extinguishers. Me and a bunch of guys tried to get her out but couldn't. Fire started coming around the sides and you could hear hoses hissing and popping. I said we need to leave her but people refused. Eventually local fire got there put out the car, jaws of life the roofed, and helicoptered her to UofI. Fire is the only time you should remove someone from a vehicle.

2. I came up to a T bone accident that I didn't see but must of literally just happened. An unrestrained, pregnant passenger was thrown forward in the backseat. She clearly broke the orbit of her eye. Her eye was 5 times worse than Rocky 1. Here husband was dragging her out of the car. I told him to leave her their until paramedics showed up because she may have a neck or back injury. Then he started threatening and swearing at me so I left him alone. Ambulance showed up. EMTs walked up and I gave them my clinical summary and then walked off. "Late 20s, early 30s Hispanic female who appears to be 8 to 9 months pregnant. She's got a 3 cm right eye laceration with obvious orbital fracture. Husband is disoriented and combative with minor injuries. I recommend you get police back up." They were like, "who the eff is this guy?

3. I was driving around Dubuque because my kids fell asleep in the car on our way to a wedding reception. I drove onto the island where greyhound park. They have a camping area. As I was turning around two squad cars came by doing 70. I was curious what was going on and a bunch of people were running. They said someone had drowned. I drove over, found some guy in the crowd and said watch my kids. Two cops were down the hill on the beach and had started CPR. I asked if they have ever done it before and took over. Took a couple of minutes for paramedics to show up. He was drunk and had attempted to swim out against the current to the buoy 100 yards out and drowned. He was too big to pull up the rock beach so they launched the river rescue team. Found out later he didn't make it.

Good on you, Uro. All commercial vehicles are required to carry fire extinguishers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT