ADVERTISEMENT

Do you hunt for your Thanksgiving turkey?

CarolinaHawkeye

HB Legend
Feb 5, 2003
Iowa
22792164_794644367402796_4817065833589382932_o.jpg

Not anymore,.. fun to hunt but tend to be a bit dry to my taste.

Not anymore,.. fun to hunt but tend to be a bit dry to my taste.

FYI, wild turkeys are more lean than the store bought Butterballs and consequently, can dry out faster when cooking. In general, cook them hotter and faster than a store bought when doing them in a conventional oven. OR...put them in a smoker! You will preserve the moisture much more that way and they will taste excellent. You're welcome! :)

7 or 8 ran in front of my car on the way home from the grocery store on Monday. It's like they were begging me to hit them. I didn't because I'm in charge of green bean casserole and party potatoes. Someone else can run over the turkey. I prefer ham anyways.

FYI, wild turkeys are more lean than the store bought Butterballs and consequently, can dry out faster when cooking. In general, cook them hotter and faster than a store bought when doing them in a conventional oven. OR...put them in a smoker! You will preserve the moisture much more that way and they will taste excellent. You're welcome! :)

Thank you,... Fully agree with all that, except for the "they will taste excellent" part,... I think a lot of people try to fool themselves into believing that wild game tastes great simply because they love to hunt,... I've gotten over that.

7 or 8 ran in front of my car on the way home from the grocery store on Monday. It's like they were begging me to hit them. I didn't because I'm in charge of green bean casserole and party potatoes. Someone else can run over the turkey. I prefer ham anyways.

So you need to run over a hog then...

I feel like hitting a hog would do a lot more damage

I only had that experience on Tuesday about noon with one, but it was a 10 point buck and I was on a snow covered road and I saw him coming across the road off to my left, and he ran right in front of me and I missed him by a foot or three. Thank goodness.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Not much of a fall turkey hunter. Spring turkey season on the other hand is my favorite time of year

Thank you,... Fully agree with all that, except for the "they will taste excellent" part,... I think a lot of people try to fool themselves into believing that wild game tastes great simply because they love to hunt,... I've gotten over that.

I have never called anyone out to the "fight bar" on HROT, but you are really tempting me here man!! :) :)

Wild turkey is excellent...I have smoked one for Thanksgiving probably 15 times through the years and everyone prefers it at our table and most are non-hunters. FWIW. :)

I only had that experience on Tuesday about noon with one, but it was a 10 point buck and I was on a snow covered road and I saw him coming across the road off to my left, and he ran right in front of me and I missed him by a foot or three. Thank goodness.

I've grown very accustomed to watching for deer and still manage to get surprised every couple of weeks. The pack of wild turkeys was almost as bad as the Canadian Geese that are everywhere in West Des Moines.

Did my first test bird last weekend...did the maple bourbon brine, with a sweet rub. Smoked it with oak and hickory. Turned out excellent.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
There’s a group of about 20 of them that run through my yard. Prob 17 of them look pretty scrawny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT