ADVERTISEMENT

Do you know anyone under the age of 60 who's died from COVID?

Do ou personally know anyone under the age of 60 who has died from COVID?

• Yes

Votes: 73 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 223 75.3%

• Total voters

chodehawk

HR MVP
Oct 9, 2016
Being that it looks like college football will not take place this fall, I'm curious - do you personally know anyone under the age of 60 who has died from COVID? I'm talkin' someone who knows you by name.

Not trying to start an argument, just curious as to what this number looks like.

No not personally but a former business acquaintance of mine in his early 40's contracted Covid-19 in June and developed severe permanent lung damage. His wife told me that his lung x-rays resemble that of a COPD patient or a long time heavy smoker.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I can't think of many 60 year old college football players. Could have done this poll at age 23 to get across your point I think you are making I do agree with.

I know two people who have died. One was a former neighbor who was 84 who had basically blown off any precautions. The other was a 50 year old woman who used to be secretary of our scuba club who didnt smoke and was not overweight. I ran into a doctor at a car wash last weekend(he went to Iowa med school but had done undergrad at Iowa State). When I told him about the 50 year old he was very surprised,

Reactions: h-hawk
I know around 15 or 20 people who had Covid-19. The oldest was probably mid to late 40's. None of them died, the majority said they did not even know they had the virus until tested and the others said it felt like they had a cold. These people worked at Tyson so being tested was mandatory. I have said this before, but I also have a friend who works at a retirement home, and she said that they estimated 68% of the elderly who contracted covid in their retirement home died. So, take that for what you will, but you know when were told that you have less then a 1% chance of dying, and if the elderly are dying nationwide at about the same percentage, then one should conclude that the odds of contracting it and dying if your not elderly or in a high risk bracket are almost non existent. I am not saying I am a medical expert, but when roughly 70% of the people dying are over age 70, then I think I can say that most people have a better chance of being struck by lightning then dying of Covid.

I know several who had the virus and recovered..along with several who passed. I live in Detroit....it always amazes me to hear.... but they had an underlying condition. They liveD years with it ....but with the corona virus it becomes justified.. however the problem is not surviving it...is passing on to the vulnerable that may not...in reading this Thread it seems ok for those older or witH a Condition to die....of course unless it is you or a loved one.

Fortunately, not yet. Unfortunately, we seem hell bent on making sure that everyone knows somebody who died of it or has had their lives permenantly impacted from getting the disease.

My Aunt and Uncle are roughly 75 and they contracted COVID while visiting a Daughter in The Land of Fruits and Nuts. Trip to the ER and didn't feel good for a couple weeks but both doing OK last I heard (they live in AZ).

Knew a 64 year old from my hometown in NW Iowa who died from it, who had some underlying conditions also. Great guy. R.I.P.

Been working all thru this, and our smallish Company of 25 or so have had no positive tests, or spouses, etc. I did hear a neighbor gal contracted it and is quarantined at home. She's mid thirties I would guess, and doing OK I believe.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
My overweight neighbor in his late 60's was scheduled to have shoulder surgery and was tested as a precaution. He came up positive and never had symptom. He's in terrible shape and had a lung collapse a couple years ago. I was sure he would be someone that would die if he got it, but nope....never would have known if they hadn't told him. He and I both wonder if the test was wrong....

Wife's (no pic) grandfather died if covid. From Des Moines. Went to hospital in February, had another unrelated surgery. Caught the covid in rehab center and decided to give up. Her aunts and uncle took care of him when he came home. They all had it. 65-75 years old. All did fine with it with moderate symptoms.
Work associate's son and DIL got it and they both had minor to moderate symptoms and are a few days from getting out of quarantine. They live close to Lincoln Nebraska. They are in their early 30's.

Being that it looks like college football will not take place this fall, I'm curious - do you personally know anyone under the age of 60 who has died from COVID? I'm talkin' someone who knows you by name.

Not trying to start an argument, just curious as to what this number looks like.
I don't know anybody at all that has died from it. I don't know anybody that has gotten sick from it. I don't wear a mask or give a darn about social distancing. Many people I know are in the same boat. Yet we aren't getting sick. I do eat healthy, get exercise, and do stuff out doors though. This is all so grossly blown out of proportion it is just unreal. There is so much BS with it all it is unreal.

I don't know anybody at all that has died from it. I don't know anybody that has gotten sick from it. I don't wear a mask or give a darn about social distancing. Many people I know are in the same boat. Yet we aren't getting sick. I do eat healthy, get exercise, and do stuff out doors though. This is all so grossly blown out of proportion it is just unreal. There is so much BS with it all it is unreal.
I’m guessing once you know people your tune will change. Gasping for air like your drowning alone in an ER is not a pleasant way to go.

Or you could end up with lung scarring and never be the same.

But hey as long as the 1% is the elderly, not your sons, daughters, spouse, or friends...it’s just a hoax am I right? Our country is so screwed, we are so selfish....”better him than me! I ain’t wearing no mask!” has taken over.

I don't know anyone who knows anyone who has had the virus.

Goodbyebobby I am hurt and surprised, I thought we were friends, I posted on here earlier in a thread that you were on that i had the virus, obviously i did not die but still I am hurt to hear you say you don't know anyone who has even had the virus :(:) LOL

My Aunt and Uncle are roughly 75 and they contracted COVID while visiting a Daughter in The Land of Fruits and Nuts.

I assume you are referring to California and "fruits" being derogatory towards gays. If you ever get off the farm and have come to Iowa City to see a game, you are in one of the most gay friendly cities in the country. So, if you're that bigoted and worried about who other people love, keep your ass on the farm.

I assume you are referring to California and "fruits" being derogatory towards gays. If you ever get off the farm and have come to Iowa City to see a game, you are in one of the most gay friendly cities in the country. So, if you're that bigoted and worried about who other people love, keep your ass on the farm.

gonna assume he was shooting more for “granola” than gay but just guessing.

Often hear of younger people dying of many things that no one can control. Had a friend die of cancer before she was 35. The Children's Hospital exists because some very unfortunate, few young people get things their body can't handle.

Several deaths, but primarily because of my hospital affiliation (I only know a couple otherwise). One woman was just 23. Her only co-morbidity was being overweight, which made breathing difficult even with a ventilator. Some people were in the 40-60 range, but most were older. On the plus side, my next-door neighbor is 81 and on dialysis, but survived COVID-related pneumonia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT