ADVERTISEMENT

Do you know anyone under the age of 60 who's died from COVID?

Do ou personally know anyone under the age of 60 who has died from COVID?

• Yes

Votes: 73 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 223 75.3%

• Total voters
Like the European countries whose case fatality rates are 4-5 times ours (even with NY’s f*** ups) and whose economies are far worse off because of lockdowns?

Besides no one is testing anywhere near as much as we are or classifying Covid deaths as liberally as we are so numbers are pretty meaningless to compare anyway.

LOL, funny how you don't want to talk about how many people actually died and you point to statistics that show how poorly we've contained this compared to other countries as something that's good. Stop watching Fox News, dude, it's melting your brain.

BioHawk's scientific citations for his undergrad degree:

Don Lemon
Chris Cuomo

WTF are you talking about? If you disagree, show me where I am wrong. But since you just seem to want to attack me, that means you are either incapable of debating your point, or you know you are on the wrong side of this issue. But since you can't stop cheering for your team you resort to this sorry ass response.

LOL Every country has dealt with the virus differently, so who is to say who did it right? You? The countries that didn't lock down and didn't ruin their economies like Sweden are much further along then us. You know, to each his own, I'm 56, diabetic and I see things in black and white. If you want to stay home, great, that's your call if you feel that is the best for you, but the majority of Americans think staying home for less then a 1% chance of death is not worth it. It's less then that if you figure that 85% of those 1% were over age 75. I know I know, I'm not the most compasionate person, I guess being X military and X department of corrections will do that. ;)

Sweden has a far lower population density and a far superior health care system so their overall health of their population is far superior to ours. Using Sweden probably isn't the best example because it highlights how awful we take care of our population.

Sweden has a far lower population density and a far superior health care system so their overall health of their population is far superior to ours. Using Sweden probably isn't the best example because it highlights how awful we take care of our population.

Plus it is like 10 million people as compared to 336 million.....

A shitload more than the current < .04% of our population. the UN that libs love says millions will starve due to lockdowns worldwide. economics will lead to the next pandemic.... starvation. lockdowns have consequences. fear mongering is dangerous. and NO, I know no one who has died from wuflu. healthy people have little to fear... diseased folk and fatties like my elderly self can be killed by a long list of things. live in fear.... or not. what do libs say? MY BODY MY CHOICE?

Im going to guess you are an All Lives Matter guy, but really they don't

Reactions: LinusPF
My son's friend in Denver died. He was 30. Went to AZ, and got infected there. Came home, got sick, went to hospital and never came out. Died after 2 weeks.

You fools in small town Iowa - alternating between Covid is not a big deal (it's a hoax - # of deaths are lies)....to OK, it's a big deal but (to use your dear leader's words) 'It is what it is'. You've been lucky so far because no one visits or leaves your small town, but you can keep your fingers in your ears for only so long.

I have a friend who's been a big denier / mask non-wearer....his 40-yr old brother in Oklahoma just went into the hospital with pneumonia.

Wrong

Well I didn't coin the term, and the fact it's so easily recognizable to everybody pretty much speaks for itself, however one wants to interpret it. The Land of Fruits and Nuts. They earned it, they get to keep it.

So, what are you doing away from home? Why aren't you in California?

I know several who had the virus and recovered..along with several who passed. I live in Detroit....it always amazes me to hear.... but they had an underlying condition. They liveD years with it ....but with the corona virus it becomes justified.. however the problem is not surviving it...is passing on to the vulnerable that may not...in reading this Thread it seems ok for those older or witH a Condition to die....of course unless it is you or a loved one.

It is “okay” in the sense that nature kills a lot of people, and we all go in the end. It’s still sad, of course. But the death of a ninety year old with Alzheimer’s is not tragic. Certainly not the same as a thirty year old parent with young kids.

What is tragic is when we accidentally kill people while trying to save lives from nature. If we eventually start giving a vaccine with a .015% mortality rate, then discover the mortality rate of Covid for people under 65 is about .01%, the people we kill will constitute a tragedy. As will the deaths of people who commit suicide due to depression, isolation, and poverty we are inflicting on them.

Am I okay with the virus killing a bunch of elderly people? I’m reminded of Stanley when Michael Scott asks if he’s okay with dying because he’s overweight.

“I’m okay with the logic of it.”

Just a question for all who say that people are healthy and still unfortunately pass away.

Did they look healthy or do you know for a fact they didn't have any underlying conditions? I am not trying to belittle the situation. Anyone passing away, regardless of cause, sucks. I am just trying to look further into this than what appears on the outside for people.

Meh. I’m skeptical of anecdotes. The statistics speak for themselves, even if half the HROT stories involve young, healthy people.

Reactions: SDHN2013
It is “okay” in the sense that nature kills a lot of people, and we all go in the end. It’s still sad, of course. But the death of a ninety year old with Alzheimer’s is not tragic. Certainly not the same as a thirty year old parent with young kids.

What is tragic is when we accidentally kill people while trying to save lives from nature. If we eventually start giving a vaccine with a .015% mortality rate, then discover the mortality rate of Covid for people under 65 is about .01%, the people we kill will constitute a tragedy. As will the deaths of people who commit suicide due to depression, isolation, and poverty we are inflicting on them.

Am I okay with the virus killing a bunch of elderly people? I’m reminded of Stanley when Michael Scott asks if he’s okay with dying because he’s overweight.

Nice hypothetical post. Here is another hypothetical for you. I think suicides are down because people are forced to focus on family and well being at a time like this. How many people do you know that have committed suicide because of the pandemic? I know more that did before it than in the last 6 months. I know no one that has in the past 6 months. I know people with depression that are actually doing better.

Nice hypothetical post. Here is another hypothetical for you. I think suicides are down because people are forced to focus on family and well being at a time like this. How many people do you know that have committed suicide because of the pandemic? I know more that did before it than in the last 6 months. I know no one that has in the past 6 months. I know people with depression that are actually doing better.

You confident that our shutdowns and closures aren’t killing anyone, short term or long term?

About as confident as you are that this is a hoax and made up numbers

Given that I’ve never said anything like that, I will assume you are just stupid and that’s why you aren’t able to grasp the point.

I know of 6 people who have gotten it.
88 year old beat it.
58 year old died.
47 year old died.
45 year old recovered.
39 year old recovered.
38 year old currently in coma, doesn't look good.

Reactions: h-hawk
Given that I’ve never said anything like that, I will assume you are just stupid and that’s why you aren’t able to grasp the point.

How many people do you know that have committed suicide because of the pandemic?

I know of 6 people who have gotten it.
88 year old beat it.
58 year old died.
47 year old died.
45 year old recovered.
39 year old recovered.
38 year old currently in coma, doesn't look good.

here comes the "did they have underlying conditions?" I will help with that answer with another question. Does it matter if they did? Honestly does it matter if people dying had underlying conditions? If it is to justify it with that they would have died anyway that is crap. Not all underlying conditions means people are going to die in the next 6 months.

Last edited:
There are a few under 60 deaths that people are bringing up and they are tragic. Now imagine a coaching staff, manager, staff member passing away. That is why the big 10 did what they did for now.

Reactions: LinusPF

.01?? You may want to look at some actual statistics. Death rates for young people are not super high but they are still higher than any virus we are used to by far.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/us/virus-young-deaths.html

This link estimates a .09% case mortality rate which is. . . 9 times higher than what you are saying and still again way higher than any virus that spreads this easily that we are used to dealing with.

Granted these numbers are a bit dated.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

5ef234caf34d051bc821d0d8

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-death-rate-us-compared-to-flu-by-age-2020-6

Reactions: srams21
Being that it looks like college football will not take place this fall, I'm curious - do you personally know anyone under the age of 60 who has died from COVID? I'm talkin' someone who knows you by name.

Not trying to start an argument, just curious as to what this number looks like.

46 year old co-worker.

here comes the "did they have underlying conditions?" I will help with that answer with another question. Does it matter if they did? Honestly does it matter if people dying had underlying conditions? If it is to justify it will that they would have died anyway that is crap. Not all underlying conditions means people are going to die in the next 6 months.
Underlying condition responses can kiss my a**. I dare anyone of them to go tell the spouse of the 47 year old who passed that it was because of underlying conditions. She was a marathon runner and always in shape. Plus they would probably get their a** whooped as the spouse is a former SEAL.

Almost everyone who died from this would have died within one year. I average age of death in USA is 78 and that is the average age of those dying with covid—- not from Covid. Total deaths this year are almost the same as they were last year overall

That's some interesting spin. Sounds like something conservative media would push.

Reactions: radicalhawk
Median age of death from covid is 78, same as average life expectancy in US, which is why the overall death rate in America is fairly flat in 2020."

Actual death toll in US is higher than expected.

"Between March 1, 2020, and April 25, 2020, a total of 505 059 deaths were reported in the US; 87 001 (95% CI, 86 578-87 423) were excess deaths, of which 56 246 (65%) were attributed to COVID-19. In 14 states, more than 50% of excess deaths were attributed to underlying causes other than COVID-19; these included California (55% of excess deaths) and Texas (64% of excess deaths)"
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2768086

Almost everyone who died from this would have died within one year. I average age of death in USA is 78 and that is the average age of those dying with covid—- not from Covid. Total deaths this year are almost the same as they were last year overall
This is completely wrong. There are more excess deaths than the number of Covid deaths which leads one to believe the C19 deaths are under counted. And this is during a time when the economy has been slowed/shut. There are far fewer deaths from automobile accidents. There are far fewer from the flu. Etc.

Then what's your solution? Wanna lock down 100% of the people because 1% have a chance of death due to a virus that was created on the other side of the planet? Life and death are facts of life and no one is guaranteed another day, with or without the Covid virus. More people will be killed going to work in a car accident then die from Covid-19. Maybe that sounds a little callous, but that is simply the facts of life.
Car accidents kill around 35,000 a year. Covid has killed more than 4 times that in about half a year.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/traffic-deaths-2018

Um no. My job is as a quality control expert for explosive remediation jobs. My job has nothing to do with providing information to you. You said you were interested. If you are, then google it. Pretty simple. If you’re not interested then don’t.

Suicides are up. Vehicle fatalities are down.

Suicides are up. Vehicle fatalities are down.
Could be true nationally. I don’t know. Locally in KC it was just reported vehicle fatalities are up more than 30% this year which was very odd with the reduced traffic for a few months. They didn’t have all the data yet, but the theory was an increase in drunk driving.

.01?? You may want to look at some actual statistics. Death rates for young people are not super high but they are still higher than any virus we are used to by far.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/us/virus-young-deaths.html

This link estimates a .09% case mortality rate which is. . . 9 times higher than what you are saying and still again way higher than any virus that spreads this easily that we are used to dealing with.

Granted these numbers are a bit dated.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

5ef234caf34d051bc821d0d8

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-death-rate-us-compared-to-flu-by-age-2020-6

It’s going to take a long time to figure out the true mortality rate - we have very little idea how many people have actually been infected. The case mortality rate was, what, nearly 10% in April; while it’s about 1.5% today. I’m sure it’s going to be higher than .01%; I was just demonstrating that not every measure to cut down on Covid deaths is a slam dunk decision.

Do you have a link to those statistics. I'm having trouble finding up to date data.

I would assume vehicle deaths are down. Suicides I doubt we have data on at this point. I would, however, be very surprised if suicides aren’t up for the next couple of decades. I would expect crime and drug overdoses to be up for several years.

It will be a long, long time before we have a firm handle on the full ramifications.

I would assume vehicle deaths are down. Suicides I doubt we have data on at this point. I would, however, be very surprised if suicides aren’t up for the next couple of decades. I would expect crime and drug overdoses to be up for several years.

It will be a long, long time before we have a firm handle on the full ramifications.

Suicide rates have gone up every year for the last previous 2 decades though.

In my area, there were suicides, some within my family circle, within the past 5 years. I have not heard much about it in the last 6 months. Which to me is kind of odd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT