ADVERTISEMENT

Do you really think Iowa's offense is complicated for a young QB? why and how

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
A young QB with limited playing time might have some issues with reading defensive tells and cues. But the running plays are not that many and varied. I mainly see straight ahead blast plays, few pitch play sweeps per game, a few jet sweeps, and outside zone with perhaps a little deeper and different hand off point from the blast plays.

Passing play wise, and however you want to name these routes, the WRs usually run sideline stop and comeback patterns, there are WR screens which is like a long lateral to one specific person determined at the snap, some slants, some short posts of 10 to 15 yards, TEnd passes are a lot of curls and slants and some deeper seam patterns, and we used a lot of crossing pattern and delayed drag routes over the middle. Very few deep pass reads and throws.

I would bet a lot of these QBs run as complicated passing games in high school.

Please tell me how this is complicated and why they cant trot out a young qb and call a limited playbook with them to start a game? Script and practice the first 15 plays and away we go. Then find out who the game time QBs are.

Reactions: Floyd_Of_Rosedale
Good question. Here is the decision tree for a 3 yard out to LaPorta after Brian simplified it.

th

A young QB with limited playing time might have some issues with reading defensive tells and cues. But the running plays are not that many and varied. I mainly see straight ahead blast plays, few pitch play sweeps per game, a few jet sweeps, and outside zone with perhaps a little deeper and different hand off point from the blast plays.

Passing play wise, and however you want to name these routes, the WRs usually run sideline stop and comeback patterns, there are WR screens which is like a long lateral to one specific person determined at the snap, some slants, some short posts of 10 to 15 yards, TEnd passes are a lot of curls and slants and some deeper seam patterns, and we used a lot of crossing pattern and delayed drag routes over the middle. Very few deep pass reads and throws.

Please tell me how this is complicated and why they cant trot out a young qb and call a limited playbook with them to start a game? Script and practice the first 15 plays and away we go. Then find out who the game time QBs are.
Those twelve 3 yard outs to the TE are awfully complicated. Get real, 8th grade teams have a more sophisticated O than that run the clock down garbage.

Last edited:

You answered your question within your first paragraph. It's the defensive reads per the play call. Easy to throw or run into trouble with this scheme. Get the cue correct and with decent blocking, this offense can move the ball efficiently.

Reactions: uihawk82
How many CFP contenders bring in freshmen QB's that play right away? A lot! No reason we can't do the same.
I understand the strategy of trying to read the defense to gain an advantage, but the opposite is equally true. At some point you need to make the defense react to you. Our QB's are paralyzed by analysis...PLAY THE GAME!

It wasn't too complicated for Drew Tate.
I'm sure KFz has nightmares about the season he let his Quarterback improvise because the running game was toast. I can only imagine the therapy needed afterwards. Never mind the success it yielded.

If there's a KFz biography done after he retires, I seriously hope the filmmaker/interviewer can dig back far enough to find out where his fear of risk comes from. Did he get beat by his Father for "making a mistake" or did one of his high school coaches make him run stairs naked in front of the team after "making a mistake". Did Belichick pull a Jerry Sandusky on him because one of his O linemen missed an assignment?

WHY...is he so deathly afraid of making mistakes...that he over coaches his players to that end? Play-making be damned. Just DON'T MAKE A MISTAKE in practice.

Reactions: San_Antonio_Hawk
In general yes. Unlike many schools they don’t stare at the sideline waiting for the coaches to read the defense and tell them what to run. QB has to make more decisions and reads.

Hand off, hand off, boot leg punt. Follow the science.

In general yes. Unlike many schools they don’t stare at the sideline waiting for the coaches to read the defense and tell them what to run. QB has to make more decisions and reads.
I mean, I’d rather have a coach who has years of experience and is paid millions of dollars tell some kid what play to run, rather than expecting the QB to decipher an entire defense within seconds at the line

Reactions: uihawk82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT