ADVERTISEMENT

Do you suffer from migraines?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I do not, but I have friends and relatives that do get them. I was fascinated by this show on NPR"s On Point last week. It seems like the treatment plan for decades was, "Lower your stress level and deal with it".
You can listen to the entire thing, but I was struck by the lack of research into the causes of migraines, and the new focus on treatments. Don't listen if you don't like to hear about Covid. There is tentative research that the virus exacerbates the symptoms for some, and can even cause new symptoms in people who have never had Covid.
https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2022/05/06/the-science-of-headache-disorders

No, I do not... but migraines are neck-and-neck with phantom back pain for the #1 reason why people abuse intermittent FMLA leave. Mental health disorders come in at #3.

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5

Try sitting at my desk for a few days.

Doctor recommends that the employee has every Friday off for "counseling."

This can go on forever unless the employee has some other health issue that causes the 12 weeks of annual leave to become exhausted.

Yes. Been talking both preventative and rescue medications for decades now. Looking to change my preventative med.

I had them in college and for my first job. I would see spots and dots before the headache started, then a gurpy stomach followed by vomiting and then the headache would come. Sometimes last 3 - 4 hours of laying in a dark room with a cold compress. Nothing seemed to touch the pain. After a career change and getting older they all but disappeared. Every once in a while I'll get the precursors, the loss of peripheral vison and all, but the headache that follows may be a 1 or a 2 compared to a 7 - 9 in my youth...

Try sitting at my desk for a few days.

Doctor recommends that the employee has every Friday off for "counseling."

This can go on forever unless the employee has some other health issue that causes the 12 weeks of annual leave to become exhausted.

Try having empathy for once. Sure, there are always going to be scammers but you act like they all are. Meanwhile, your company has to pay for your smoking.

No, I do not... but migraines are neck-and-neck with phantom back pain for the #1 reason why people abuse intermittent FMLA leave. Mental health disorders come in at #3.
The migraines are mostly made up for fmla. Always seem to happen on mondays or fridays and when the weather is nice.

Reactions: The Tradition
Always good to see employees backed by a strong HR rep vs some corporate shill.
HR is not your friend. People I’ve seen go into the HR office over the years are always the first to go when times get tough.

I do not, but I have friends and relatives that do get them. I was fascinated by this show on NPR"s On Point last week. It seems like the treatment plan for decades was, "Lower your stress level and deal with it".
You can listen to the entire thing, but I was struck by the lack of research into the causes of migraines, and the new focus on treatments. Don't listen if you don't like to hear about Covid. There is tentative research that the virus exacerbates the symptoms for some, and can even cause new symptoms in people who have never had Covid.
https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2022/05/06/the-science-of-headache-disorders
I got migraines almost every school year start and summer.
Finally got solved with good sun glasses and caffeine moderation.

HR is not your friend. People I’ve seen go into the HR office over the years are always the first to go when times get tough.

I have seen good and bad HR representation throughout my life, It really depends upon how much a company really values employees.

Yes and it ****ing sucks. Once every other week maybe, just random. Doesn’t matter what I do to prevent it.

Also, seems like more and more I suffer from alcohol induced migraines too. Which really blows because sometimes it’s one beer that causes it. Other times I can drink at will and have 0 issues.

Reactions: Wendy79
Yes and it ****ing sucks. Once every other week maybe, just random. Doesn’t matter what I do to prevent it.

Also, seems like more and more I suffer from alcohol induced migraines too. Which really blows because sometimes it’s one beer that causes it. Other times I can drink at will and have 0 issues.

Try eating salmon, trout or taking fish oil. It seems to work.

@BelemNole

Reactions: BlIIlken2
Try having empathy for once. Sure, there are always going to be scammers but you act like they all are. Meanwhile, your company has to pay for your smoking.

Smoking-related illnesses are "old people" illnesses. Not an issue for the workforce. I don't care what the media has told you.

Anyway, how would you suggest we tease out the scammers from people with "real" needs to call off from work whenever the hell they want with no repercussions?

Migraines with auras all the time, but fortunately without the severe headaches. Weird out-of-body sensation for about 5 min, then the flashing zig zag lights that move to the periphery of my visual field (about 10-15 minutes) then complete loss of peripheral vision for another 15 min or so. I take Tylenol at the first sign and it helps dull the headache. Mine come in clusters - none for a week or two so then 3-4 over a couple days.

HR is not your "union rep"...

HR works for management.

I don’t belong to a union. A good, Non jaded HR rep should work for management and be a person that actually gives a shit about the people they hire. If the employee is successful, You, Your bosses and the company all benefit, Believe it or not people want to feel valued, Given your posting history here I doubt that is one of your strong points.

I don’t belong to a union. A good, Non jaded HR rep should work for management and be a person that actually gives a shit about the people they hire. If the employee is successful, You, Your bosses and the company all benefit, Believe it or not people want to feel valued, Given your posting history here I doubt that is one of your strong points.

That's a nice fairy tale, but it has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Migraines with auras all the time, but fortunately without the severe headaches. Weird out-of-body sensation for about 5 min, then the flashing zig zag lights that move to the periphery of my visual field (about 10-15 minutes) then complete loss of peripheral vision for another 15 min or so. I take Tylenol at the first sign and it helps dull the headache. Mine come in clusters - none for a week or two so then 3-4 over a couple days.

I have fainted from time to time when I have them. Not cool. If I had taken a picture of my back last time that happened, you would have thought Drago spent 10 minutes on my back. Entire back was dark purple for weeks.

Steps to take a day off whenever you want FOREVER and you can't get fired for it!

Step #1: Convince a doctor that you have migraines.

Step #2: Ask your HR department for FMLA paperwork (you have to work for a year without getting fired before you do this, though).

Step #3: Convince your accommodating doctor to complete the paperwork indicating that you can get a migraine without warning any time, any day.

Step #4: You can call out whenever you want FOREVER as long as you don't do it more than 30.4 days per year.

Step #5: If your employer gets sick of your crap and fires you, get a lawyer and PROFIT!

Last edited:
I had them at least once a month and they were debilitating. After I had my first child they went away. Never again thank God. Have not had a headache of any sort in about 25 years.
I have a friend who has bad headaches almost daily and finally got medically okayed for Botox. It’s helped a lot but they are still not fully eliminated. The crazy thing is that this person is a therapist in a very stressful specialty. Hmm. Ya think? 🤔

I did when I was younger, but haven't in probably 30 years.

My wife gets them every once in a while, puts her completely out of commission for a few hours.

Doctors will write a note saying whatever the hell you want them to say.

They just want you to get the hell out of their office so they can move on to the next patient.

You really feel that way? I tried getting sleep meds at VA last month, and they said lets give it a couple months.

Are you obtuse, or just plain dumb?

You really feel that way? I tried getting sleep meds at VA last month, and they said lets give it a couple months.

Are you obtuse, or just plain dumb?

Medications are regulated. You can lose your license for overmedicating or inappropriately medicating. Write bad prescriptions and you might even go to jail.

Writing a bogus doctor's note to put a patient out of work?

Not so much.

Never had headaches until I was 22.
Sinus headaches are my issue. Always on my left side from the back of my eye around to the back
of my head & makes my neck muscle sore. If I lay down for an hr or two and a nap it goes away.
I only take Excedrin for it.

So, you weren’t faking to get three day weekends?
Nope. I rarely missed school.
Migraines were gone by college.
Went years at work with perfect attendance. Funny thing was i’d get sick on vacation then kick it last day.

Por qué no los dos

Because they started me on another medicine first and wanted to see how that worked out first. I keep telling them melatonin does not work for me anymore. Hence why some of you see me here in the middle of night.

ADVERTISEMENT