ADVERTISEMENT

Do you support Black Lives Matter?

Do you support Black Lives Matter?

• Yes. Since Day 1.

Votes: 44 23.0%
  • Yes. I didn’t before until George Floyd was killed.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • No. Never have.

Votes: 58 30.4%
  • No. I used to until the post George Floyd protests and riots.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • I agree with the idea but not their tactics.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Other. I will explain.

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters
You can do something. Due for people who are advancing programs to help the disadvantaged. Being white is an advantage. It's not the be-all, entail but it most definitely is an advantage. If you can't come to terms with that focus on leveling the playing field for all who are disadvantaged. Support things like universal healthcare, discarding gerrymandering, balancing the wealth gap and the like. There's plenty you can do by just doing your small part, consistently and diligently.

It's not just the responsibly of the top 1%.
These are all very generic ways to change on a large scale. But how do I as a single person contribute. I do not have the power to change healthcare, gerrymandering, or balance the wealth gap.

BLM doesn’t de-emphasize the nuclear family. All they are saying is that they want community members helping to care for children in non-traditional families. That isn’t a controversial stance in any way, shape, or form. The idea that BLM wants to destroy the nuclear family is a right-wing talking point that has absolutely zero merit.
You are either stupid, naive or lying, which is it?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Life must be tough for you. It was a piece of cake for me. Stop with the whining, I know you can do better. What about Clarence Thomas, Condoleza Rice, Frederick Douglas, etc, how did they do it? You have to want to succeed and not want someone else's handouts..
You're obviously unable to think critically and understand that the fact some people overcome obstacles in their lives does not mean they faced the dance obstacles as others.

Your myopia prevents any reasonable discussion.

These are all very generic ways to change on a large scale. But how do I as a single person contribute. I do not have the power to change healthcare, gerrymandering, or balance the wealth gap.
You have the power to support people and platforms that do have such power.

Saying there is nothing you can do is a cop out.

You're obviously unable to think critically and understand that the fact some people overcome obstacles in their lives does not mean they faced the dance obstacles as others.

Your myopia prevents any reasonable discussion.
Sorry, you miss the point. You are correct, not everyone faces the same obstacles in life. Each of us has to navigate our own path and some are easier than others. However, that is called life. Liberal belly aching about how some have it so hard. How do you know what someone else faces or can overcome? Basing your entire view of life on ones skin color is nonsense. Everyone has challenges, get up and meet them, stop whining. Save your empathy for the small child diagnosed with cancer. The elderly person who is home bound with no family. There are a lot of people with severe issues in life. I guarantee my challenges for success were harder than Tiger Woods or Lebron James and I'm not complaining.

Threads like this make me sad. So many people with such narrow perspective.
Try opening up your own perspective as well. There is more to advantages vs disadvantages in life than just the color of ones skin. Not all black people have the same experience growing up. Some have had it very rough, others have been blessed and have had a relatively "easy" life despite being black. This tells me there are more factors here than just the color of ones skin.

It is good to address the race component of this issue, but this is a multifactoral problem. Anyone who tries to fix a multifactoral problem with a single focus solution is only trying to pretend to fix the problem. Nothing will really change.

In 2018 there were approximately 38 million people living below the poverty line. Approximately 8.8 million were black. 10.5 million Hispanics live below the poverty line, do they have more advantages than black people? How about the 2 million Asians? There are almost 25 million white people who live below the poverty line. How much white privilege do they have? What if they live in an all black neighborhood? What if they have a disability? What if they had scum back parents who set them up poorly for life? What if they are married to a black person or raised by a black person? How can anyone honestly say the other 29 million people who live below the poverty line in this country are better off and have more advantages in life because they are not black.

All of these people are fighting the same fight to put food on their table, shelter over their head, and make ends meet. All of them are at increased risk for health problems due to their conditions, all of them are going to struggle to find good paying jobs because historically very few of them have a college education. Very few have family money or support to help them through tough situations. All of them have an increased risk for drug abuse and mental health problems and their children are more likely to struggle in school.

So tell me why we shouldn't support all the people who live below the poverty line regardless of color. Please tell me how the advantage of being white is so valuable that it is more important than all the other disadvantages those 25 million people who live below the poverty line face.

So yes, you can take your "narrow perspective" and shove it up your arse because I don't jump on the BLM bandwagon and support criminals who get shot while doing stupid shit. I support the people who deserve it, regardless of color and in my mind that makes me a good person. So judge away.

I went from "all lives matter" to "ok all lives matter but I get that we need to especially point out that black people get fuked with" to seeing it turn into a shell for anarchy and now I think its a joke. The principle was good. I also think one of the biggest parts of black lives mattering is black people having a higher value on black peoples lives and that's an ugly truth.

Reactions: Hawk_82
No, they took their reference to the nuclear family down. Here's what it said before:

“We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and ‘villages’ that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable”

Frankly, I have no problem with that at all. It's calling for extending the family beyond what has been considered traditionally. It takes a village.
And how’s that currently working out?

So black people being unfairly stereotyped and discriminated against by police isn’t a real problem? I’m curious, what would be a REAL “black problem” in your mind? I’m going to guess that list in your mind starts (and probably ends) with black on black crime?
Well you got one!
Fatherless homes is my #1- not a lone black problem but more prevalent in the black community for years. A vast majority of problems trickle down from this.

poverty
housing
generational welfare
upward economic mobility
affirmative action

To run your movement on the theory that police are hunting black people is ridiculous and the emotional and simple are still eating it up.

Well you got one!
Fatherless homes is my #1- not a lone black problem but more prevalent in the black community for years. A vast majority of problems trickle down from this.

poverty
housing
generational welfare
upward economic mobility
affirmative action

To run your movement on the theory that police are hunting black people is ridiculous and the emotional and simple are still eating it up.

Black people are treated less fairly by police and the criminal justice system in general than white people. That’s a fact. If you can’t acknowledge that, you are not interested in being a part of the solution, you are only interested in perpetuating the problem.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Black people are treated less fairly by police and the criminal justice system in general than white people. That’s a fact. If you can’t acknowledge that, you are not interested in being a part of the solution, you are only interested in perpetuating the problem.

I agree but that isn't what BLM was built on. BLM was built on and is being sustained on an inconvenient lie.

Try opening up your own perspective as well. There is more to advantages vs disadvantages in life than just the color of ones skin. Not all black people have the same experience growing up. Some have had it very rough, others have been blessed and have had a relatively "easy" life despite being black. This tells me there are more factors here than just the color of ones skin.

It is good to address the race component of this issue, but this is a multifactoral problem. Anyone who tries to fix a multifactoral problem with a single focus solution is only trying to pretend to fix the problem. Nothing will really change.

In 2018 there were approximately 38 million people living below the poverty line. Approximately 8.8 million were black. 10.5 million Hispanics live below the poverty line, do they have more advantages than black people? How about the 2 million Asians? There are almost 25 million white people who live below the poverty line. How much white privilege do they have? What if they live in an all black neighborhood? What if they have a disability? What if they had scum back parents who set them up poorly for life? What if they are married to a black person or raised by a black person? How can anyone honestly say the other 29 million people who live below the poverty line in this country are better off and have more advantages in life because they are not black.

All of these people are fighting the same fight to put food on their table, shelter over their head, and make ends meet. All of them are at increased risk for health problems due to their conditions, all of them are going to struggle to find good paying jobs because historically very few of them have a college education. Very few have family money or support to help them through tough situations. All of them have an increased risk for drug abuse and mental health problems and their children are more likely to struggle in school.

So tell me why we shouldn't support all the people who live below the poverty line regardless of color. Please tell me how the advantage of being white is so valuable that it is more important than all the other disadvantages those 25 million people who live below the poverty line face.

So yes, you can take your "narrow perspective" and shove it up your arse because I don't jump on the BLM bandwagon and support criminals who get shot while doing stupid shit. I support the people who deserve it, regardless of color and in my mind that makes me a good person. So judge away.
Poverty is a huge issue and if we would start there that would be great. The fact poverty affects the black community disproportionately more than whites is indisputable. The programs mentioned are not targeted solely at the black community, they help all disadvantaged. The issue is people will make excuses for not doing anything because "it's not just a black issue" or some other nonsense. The black community is the one calling out the issues that affect many others. Instead of focusing on the color of the leaders, support the cause.

I support the idea that Black lives matter. I don’t support the organization Black Lives Matter.

Ive been a proponent of black lives mattering long before I ever heard the name George Floyd. Not only do I think Black lives matter, but white, yellow, red and whatever other colors there are matter to me.

The organization is effing toxic. They had to remove things from their page because it is damning. Their leader scrubbed her Twitter because she has been saying ludicrous and dangerous things. I think a lot of blacks see the organization for what it is, however many more need to open their eyes.

I don’t think anyone is denying that, but some like to pretend police brutality or killing of people doesn’t happen to white people, too. Also, people are saying there are things that can be done so we don’t even get to the point of a bad police interaction, it’s a lesser problem than some others.

I have no idea what you're trying to get at here.
How is it currently working out for the black community or any community for that matter and the it takes a village to raise a kid. It doesn’t matter how light or dark brown you are, having a father and mother in the home greatly increase your chances of leading a better life. More than the village can do.

I don’t think anyone is denying that, but some like to pretend police brutality or killing of people doesn’t happen to white people, too. Also, people are saying there are things that can be done so we don’t even get to the point of a bad police interaction, it’s a lesser problem than some others.
Who is saying brutality doesn't happen to white people?

Your last sentence, again, doesn't make sense.

How is it currently working out for the black community or any community for that matter and the it takes a village to raise a kid. It doesn’t matter how light or dark brown you are, having a father and mother in the home greatly increase your chances of leading a better life. More than the village can do.
There's no village. Those that have the power and position to help don't.

So let's get underneath why there are fewer two parent homes in the black community. The system contributes to that and needs to be altered. But again, people with the power and ability to do so don't.

I support the idea that Black lives matter. I don’t support the organization Black Lives Matter.

Ive been a proponent of black lives mattering long before I ever heard the name George Floyd. Not only do I think Black lives matter, but white, yellow, red and whatever other colors there are matter to me.

The organization is effing toxic. They had to remove things from their page because it is damning. Their leader scrubbed her Twitter because she has been saying ludicrous and dangerous things. I think a lot of blacks see the organization for what it is, however many more need to open their eyes.
The black family members I have share your exact sentiment, thats why I strongly feel that way as well. Of course black lives matter to them and myself, they just don't agree with the BLM organization.

Reactions: swagsurfer02
Yea, and your so open minded
*you're

I am open to many other perspectives and have sought them out. That's why I understand there are issues affecting others that have little or no personal impact on me. They do have impact on our society as a whole and it is up to me to be part of the solution rather than putting blinders on and saying "not my problem".

Have you ever opened your mind as to why black people feel they are more closely scrutinized than others? Approximately 50% of all murders are committed by African Americans despite the fact that they make up only 13.4% of the population. The vast majority of crime is committed in black neighborhoods so of course more police would be there. If you were a cop, would you patrol the white rich neighborhoods where there hasn't been a crime in years the same as a crime ridden one? Let me guess, you are the same simpleton that suggested we not look closer at middle eastern young men as possible terrorists because we have to treat everybody the same. (show me the last time an old women from Iowa blew up a plane) Another BS PC approach designed not hurt anyone's feelings but not solve the problem. All libs are interested in is making people feel good, actually solving a problem is not important unless no one's feeling are hurt.

*you're

I am open to many other perspectives and have sought them out. That's why I understand there are issues affecting others that have little or no personal impact on me. They do have impact on our society as a whole and it is up to me to be part of the solution rather than putting blinders on and saying "not my problem".
What is an example of how you are part of the solution?

*you're

You are so good, you must be proud of yourself for being so open minded. But you aren't are you? You are like all libs, all talk and no action. How much money to give to the poor, how much time do you donate to under served children, Now let me wait for the exaggerations and lies.

There's no village. Those that have the power and position to help don't.

So let's get underneath why there are fewer two parent homes in the black community. The system contributes to that and needs to be altered. But again, people with the power and ability to do so don't.
What are the reasons? The system causes people to make bad choices and be punished? I’m all for equal punishments in the exact same circumstances, however, nobody really has a leg to stand on if they commit criminal acts then don’t expect to be punished. It’s a personal choice, don’t put yourself in that position. Many people of all backgrounds have escaped that way of life. It can be done.

Have you ever opened your mind as to why black people feel they are more closely scrutinized than others? Approximately 50% of all murders are committed by African Americans despite the fact that they make up only 13.4% of the population. The vast majority of crime is committed in black neighborhoods so of course more police would be there. If you were a cop, would you patrol the white rich neighborhoods where there hasn't been a crime in years the same as a crime ridden one? Let me guess, you are the same simpleton that suggested we not look closer at middle eastern young men as possible terrorists because we have to treat everybody the same. (show me the last time an old women from Iowa blew up a plane) Another BS PC approach designed not hurt anyone's feelings but not solve the problem. All libs are interested in is making people feel good, actually solving a problem is not important unless no one's feeling are hurt.
You have no interest in solving problems, just placing responsibility on someone other than yourself. There's a reason the black community is stricken with much more crime and poverty than white communities on the whole. Fixing those underlying reasons is what's needed, not more "it's not my problem" BS.

You are so good, you must be proud of yourself for being so open minded. But you aren't are you? You are like all libs, all talk and no action. How much money to give to the poor, how much time do you donate to under served children, Now let me wait for the exaggerations and lies.
I am, but not a "lib" at all. I've voted for Republican Presidents as often as Democrats. And I call out people like you who are obstacles to making progress on these matters. Your antiquated thinking is akin to the segregationists 50+ years ago - over time those philosophies fade away and we look back, shake our head and wonder how anyone could think that way. I just wish we could speed the process.

What are the reasons? The system causes people to make bad choices and be punished? I’m all for equal punishments in the exact same circumstances, however, nobody really has a leg to stand on if they commit criminal acts then don’t expect to be punished. It’s a personal choice, don’t put yourself in that position. Many people of all backgrounds have escaped that way of life. It can be done.
Being subject to crime, drugs, poverty, etc. for a lifetime will obviously affect someone and present gigantic challenges to success. This occurs far more in black communities than white, in large part because racism over the generations has prevented or slowed growth for blacks while encouraging it for whites. There's a cumulative effect. Add to that degraded access to basic needs like healthcare, education, housing, jobs, etc. create far greater challenges in the black community at a macro level. Certainly there will be those that have fewer challenges and are able to succeed, but that's too often the exception rather than the rule.

I am, but not a "lib" at all. I've voted for Republican Presidents as often as Democrats. And I call out people like you who are obstacles to making progress on these matters. Your antiquated thinking is akin to the segregationists 50+ years ago - over time those philosophies fade away and we look back, shake our head and wonder how anyone could think that way. I just wish we could speed the process.
I sorry, how am I an obstacle to progress? Are you suggesting that unless I agree with your vision than I'm an obstacle? If you believe that then maybe your not a lib, your a Marxist. (agree with me or shut up). I believe everyone deserves an opportunity to achieve everything they dream of. I don't believe you have to punish one group to advance another. That seems to be the lefts aim today. We don't want equal treatment and rights we want revenge. Don't agree? Ask the small businesses whose shops have been destroyed by BLM, ask the peaceful people eating dinner in outside restaurants when they were assaulted by BLM. What did they do to anyone? YOU my friend are part of the problem for holding the offenders accountable.

I sorry, how am I an obstacle to progress? Are you suggesting that unless I agree with your vision than I'm an obstacle? If you believe that then maybe your not a lib, your a Marxist. (agree with me or shut up). I believe everyone deserves an opportunity to achieve everything they dream of. I don't believe you have to punish one group to advance another. That seems to be the lefts aim today. We don't want equal treatment and rights we want revenge. Don't agree? Ask the small businesses whose shops have been destroyed by BLM, ask the peaceful people eating dinner in outside restaurants when they were assaulted by BLM. What did they do to anyone? YOU my friend are part of the problem for holding the offenders accountable.
There's no reason to discuss problems of inequality with someone who refuses to acknowledge there are problems of inequality.

I oppose the police state in all its forms, so yes, all lives matter. I do NOT support the culturally intolerant Marxist BLM. When they gain power, those that do not toe their line will be dealt with harshly like history has shown.

Reactions: abby97
Being subject to crime, drugs, poverty, etc. for a lifetime will obviously affect someone and present gigantic challenges to success. This occurs far more in black communities than white, in large part because racism over the generations has prevented or slowed growth for blacks while encouraging it for whites. There's a cumulative effect. Add to that degraded access to basic needs like healthcare, education, housing, jobs, etc. create far greater challenges in the black community at a macro level. Certainly there will be those that have fewer challenges and are able to succeed, but that's too often the exception rather than the rule.
At some point the racism that may have occurred 2+ generations before them and that many today have/had nothing to do with has to stop being used as a reason. People shouldn’t let the decisions of others impact what personal decisions they make. Unfortunately there will always be racist on all sides, but we don’t have to let it decide who we are and what we do. We need to look for the food in people and join them to defeat the racists. But how it’s currently being handled isn’t the answer.

Is crime and drug abuse not a personal decision? Poverty isn’t a personal choice to begin with but can be overcome by personal choices, easier said than done by a lot of examples out there especially with today’s diversity programs, programs for less fortunate and so on. I fully support programs that help lower income people, contribute to them and have been involved in mentor programs. Yes there are bad people in all groups of people, however there are many more who are not bad and are willing to help.

At some point the racism that may have occurred 2+ generations before them and that many today have/had nothing to do with has to stop being used as a reason. People shouldn’t let the decisions of others impact what personal decisions they make. Unfortunately there will always be racist on all sides, but we don’t have to let it decide who we are and what we do. We need to look for the food in people and join them to defeat the racists. But how it’s currently being handled isn’t the answer.

Is crime and drug abuse not a personal decision? Poverty isn’t a personal choice to begin with but can be overcome by personal choices, easier said than done by a lot of examples out there especially with today’s diversity programs, programs for less fortunate and so on. I fully support programs that help lower income people, contribute to them and have been involved in mentor programs. Yes there are bad people in all groups of people, however there are many more who are not bad and are willing to help.
That's easy to say when you've benefitted from relative generational wealth and power through the years. Decades of redlining still has massive effects on opportunity. We don't just erase inequality by saying "we're all equal now".

Many personal decisions are dictated by your environment and the need for survival.

Are you supportive of universal healthcare, raising the minimum wage, or other programs that will aid the underprivileged?

That's easy to say when you've benefitted from relative generational wealth and power through the years. Decades of redlining still has massive effects on opportunity. We don't just erase inequality by saying "we're all equal now".

Many personal decisions are dictated by your environment and the need for survival.

Are you supportive of universal healthcare, raising the minimum wage, or other programs that will aid the underprivileged?
How do you know my story enough to say I benefited from generational wealth and power? That’s one mistake many commit assuming things about others they can’t possibly know.

I would say personal decisions are influenced by not dictated by environment. It’s still a personal choice, many have made the better choices. Yes, I support certain programs to a certain extent as long as people make the right choices and our progressing. It doesn’t have to be a life sentence.

Reactions: abby97
ADVERTISEMENT