ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think Kris Murray will return next season?

Does Kris return to Iowa for the 2022/2023 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

longliveCS40

HR Legend
Oct 25, 2002
Listening to Tom Kakert on the podcast, he indicated Kris received an invite to the NBA combine. I think he mentioned approximately 63 or 64 players usually receive an invite.

There are 60 draft positions over the two rounds. Based on the above, that says to me Kris is right there on the cusp of draft status.

Do you think he returns next season or goes pro?

Listening to Tom Kakert on the podcast, he indicated Kris received an invite to the NBA combine. I think he mentioned approximately 63 or 64 players usually receive an invite.

There are 60 draft positions over the two rounds. Based on the above, that says to me Kris is right there on the cusp of draft status.

Sounds like its still a toss-up, but the people on social media who are following the situation closely are not particularly optimistic that he is coming back.

NBA draft is about potential more than college production, and Kris has a hellava lot of potential. But god help me he if he leaves. He will be a cornerstone player at a cornerstone position. I can say without hyperbole that he could be the difference between a good year and a terrible year.

Last night in the Theo Akwuba thread, Tom says that he thinks Kris will still be here and I believe they did their podcast on Monday so maybe new info came in.
Also not a huge deal by any means, but only 58 picks this year--2 teams had to forfeit picks for tampering violations.

On April 18, Kenyon wrote that it would have to take something crazy for Kris to not come back to Iowa next season. At that time, I thought "something crazy" referred to a team telling him they would draft him in the 1st round.

On Tuesday, May 3, Tom basically confirmed what I thought because right now, "something crazy" (a team telling him they will draft him in the 1st round) does not seem likely.

Read for yourself:

Unless something CRAZY happens between now and the June 1 deadline, Kris is coming back. He is working out with Keegan and 3 other NBA draft prospects in Chicago. Nothing against what Iowa does in the off season, but 1.5 months of training with NBA level trainers, nutritionists and strength coaches seems to be pretty good way to go for Kris to make the leaps we know he can make.

What I was talking about is if a team says we are going to take you late in the first round if you stay in the draft. They give you a guarantee, privately, which happens fairly frequently in the NBA. Common sense is you would stay in the draft.

I'm pretty confident Iowa fans will see Kris back in an Iowa uniform next season.

Who said this for a fact? I understand 1st round and he's gone. I have never heard any of the Murrays say if not the first round then he's for sure coming back. Did I miss something or are people just parroting each other at this point?

Yeah, I think you missed "something," going back to Kenyon's April 18 post.

please read this thread.

Reactions: Underscore2
Yeah, I think you missed "something," going back to Kenyon's April 18 post.

please read this thread.
Kenyon doesn't mention anything about the 1st round being a deciding factor. He only says "unless something crazy happens, Kris will be back." He doesn't specify what "something crazy" means.

It could mean Kris getting drafted in the 1st round, could mean Kris getting drafted in either round, could mean going undrafted with a team telling Kris he would have a good chance to make their team.

We have no idea what the criteria are for Kris coming back to Iowa or staying in the draft. Not to mention, said criteria could have changed in the last couple weeks based on feedback from scouts watching Kris workout.

Returns. I think he's similar to Isaiah Mobley. Isaiah invited to the combine last year along with his brother Evan. Evan was a Top 5 prospect. NBA wanted to get a close look at a player obviously very similar to a Top 5 prospect. Isaiah went back to USC and got more playing time to develop.

Kris --like most NBA prospects-- needs developmental time. Will he get it in the G League or Iowa City? IC did wonders for Luka and Keegan. I think Luka grew more in IC than bouncing between Detroit and Motor City.

Reactions: CookyMonster
Just have to hope (for Iowa's sake) that a team late in the 1st round hasn't promised to draft him which could be a reason he is declining invites. Chandler Hutchinson is an example from the Bulls a few years ago. Bulls had promised to draft him so he stopped accepting workout invites

I can't see him leaving if he isn't a first round pick due to a guaranteed contract.. but you never know! Hope he comes back

Reactions: bowlhawk
Kenyon doesn't mention anything about the 1st round being a deciding factor. He only says "unless something crazy happens, Kris will be back." He doesn't specify what "something crazy" means.

It could mean Kris getting drafted in the 1st round, could mean Kris getting drafted in either round, could mean going undrafted with a team telling Kris he would have a good chance to make their team.

We have no idea what the criteria are for Kris coming back to Iowa or staying in the draft. Not to mention, said criteria could have changed in the last couple weeks based on feedback from scouts watching Kris workout.
Exactly. People will read something like Kenyon said and interpret it to mean what they want it to mean. In reality, he said nothing of the sort.

Returns. I think he's similar to Isaiah Mobley. Isaiah invited to the combine last year along with his brother Evan. Evan was a Top 5 prospect. NBA wanted to get a close look at a player obviously very similar to a Top 5 prospect. Isaiah went back to USC and got more playing time to develop.

Kris --like most NBA prospects-- needs developmental time. Will he get it in the G League or Iowa City? IC did wonders for Luka and Keegan. I think Luka grew more in IC than bouncing between Detroit and Motor City.
Most players need time to develop, drafted or not.

Theres a handful at most who come in starter ready and even they have a lot to learn.

My guess is its 50/50 whether a team is willing to grab Kris in the first round. The NBA is all about trying to project where a player will end up and draft them before they blossom.

Once they do the homework they'll see he played out of position at the 5 spot this year in a conference full of old school post players and that limited the amount of time he could be on the floor.

3 point shooting and defensive versatility are the two most important things for an NBA role player.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
On Chad Leistikow’s podcast last night Chad reported that one of his NBA sources said Kris is starting to turn down workout invites which is a good sign Kris is returning.
I don't believe there was ever a real plan that Kris would do individual team workouts. Maybe something private, but that's about it.

"unless something crazy happens, Kris will be back" could mean Kris getting drafted in either round, could mean going undrafted with a team telling Kris he would have a good chance to make their team.

Exactly. People will read something like Kenyon said and interpret it to mean what they want it to mean. In reality, he said nothing of the sort.

I am surprised that you 2 think that GOING UNDRAFTED or getting drafted in the 2nd round would be what Kenyon meant when he said, and I quote, unless something CRAZY happens between now and the June 1 deadline, Kris is coming back.

And I also think you both continue to be wrong when you stated that you think that we have no idea what the criteria are for Kris coming back and that the criteria could have changed in the last 2 weeks. Well, just 2 days ago Tom literally spelled out what the criteria was when he said, and I quote, what I was talking about is if a team says [they] are going to take [Kris] late in the first round....They give you a guarantee, privately, which happens fairly frequently in the NBA. Common sense is you would stay in the draft. I'm pretty confident Iowa fans will see Kris back in an Iowa uniform next season.

I mean, how much more does Tom have to spell it out?

Tom knows Kenyon very well and based on that connection Tom has made it very clear that he doesn't think anything crazy is going to happen (ie, he doesn't think Kris will be a 1st round pick).

I am surprised that you 2 think that GOING UNDRAFTED or getting drafted in the 2nd round would be what Kenyon meant when he said, and I quote, unless something CRAZY happens between now and the June 1 deadline, Kris is coming back.

And I also think you both continue to be wrong when you stated that you think that we have no idea what the criteria are for Kris coming back and that the criteria could have changed in the last 2 weeks. Well, just 2 days ago Tom literally spelled out what the criteria was when he said, and I quote, what I was talking about is if a team says [they] are going to take [Kris] late in the first round....They give you a guarantee, privately, which happens fairly frequently in the NBA. Common sense is you would stay in the draft. I'm pretty confident Iowa fans will see Kris back in an Iowa uniform next season.

Tom knows Kenyon very well and based on that connection Tom has made it very clear that he doesn't think anything crazy is going to happen (ie, he doesn't think Kris will be a 1st round pick).

You keep coming up with your own definition of crazy. What's crazy to you might be different than crazy to others. Personally I think Kris being invited to the combine could be considered "crazy", if there's only 60-65 players invited. Think of where he was at a year ago, no one would have predicted this, so it's crazy. A year ago if someone had said Kris could be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, most normal people would have said that was crazy. So as far as I'm concerned, crazy has already happened.

To me, crazy doesn't mean 1st round. Crazy means someone offers the right deal that Kris is wanting. You, Tom, or anyone doesn't know what the teams are going to offer when the time comes. If Crazy means 1st round, then why wouldn't Kenyan just say 1st round, why would he use crazy?

The very thing you're quoting doesn't say the thing you say it says. I don't know what to tell you.

It's very possible that it's either 1st round guarantee or Kris is back. However, we don't know that from what Kenyon said or from what Tom said.

As I said previously, if that were the case a few weeks ago, that also could have changed since then with the workouts Kris is having and the people he's consulting with. It all remains to be seen.

You keep coming up with your own definition of crazy. What's crazy to you might be different than crazy to others. Personally I think Kris being invited to the combine could be considered "crazy", if there's only 60-65 players invited. Think of where he was at a year ago, no one would have predicted this, so it's crazy. A year ago if someone had said Kris could be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, most normal people would have said that was crazy. So as far as I'm concerned, crazy has already happened.

To me, crazy doesn't mean 1st round. Crazy means someone offers the right deal that Kris is wanting. You, Tom, or anyone doesn't know what the teams are going to offer when the time comes. If Crazy means 1st round, then why wouldn't Kenyan just say 1st round, why would he use crazy?

No, I am not coming up with my own definition of "unless something crazy happens." Tom knows and talks to Kenyon so, actually, the definition of something crazy happening has now been clearly defined by Tom Kakert.

Re-read my post. Tom spelled everything out less than 2 days ago. If Kris is not told that he will be drafted in the first round, he's returning to Iowa. So, it all comes down to the the 1st round and nothing more. Tom then states that he's pretty confident Iowa fans will see Kris back in an Iowa uniform next season.

This is not that hard.

No, I am not coming up with my own definition of "unless something crazy happens." Tom knows and talks to Kenyon so, actually, the definition of something crazy happening has now been clearly defined by Tom Kakert.

Re-read my post. Tom spelled everything out less than 2 days ago. If Kris is not told that he will be drafted in the first round, he's returning to Iowa. So, it all comes down to the the 1st round and nothing more. Tom then states that he's pretty confident Iowa fans will see Kris back in an Iowa uniform next season.

This is not that hard.

I must have missed where Tom said Kenyan used the words "first round". Please provide the exact quote where Tom says it, or maybe Tom can restate it here. I'm not looking of the word "crazy", I'm looking for the words "first round".

The only thing I've seen from Tom is him saying if Kris is guaranteed to be a 1st rounder, he's gone. I did not take from it that if Kris was a second rounder, he would 100% be back in an Iowa uniform. (Though, that certainly could be the case.)

Reactions: SB_SB
The very thing you're quoting doesn't say the thing you say it says. I don't know what to tell you.

It's very possible that it's either 1st round guarantee or Kris is back. However, we don't know that from what Kenyon said or from what Tom said.

As I said previously, if that were the case a few weeks ago, that also could have changed since then with the workouts Kris is having and the people he's consulting with. It all remains to be seen.

I quoted you where you said that going undrafted would be a reason why Kris might stay in the draft. And you don't know what to tell me? That's funny.

And I honestly don't know how Kakert could have spelled things out any more clearer less than 2 days ago. Again, it all comes down to whether he's told he will be a 1st rounder. Period. If he is told he's a 1st rounder, he remains in the draft. If he is not told that, he returns to Iowa.

@TomKakert , if I have misstated anything, please let me know.
'

I quoted you where you said that going undrafted would be a reason why Kris might stay in the draft. And you don't know what to tell me? That's funny.

And I honestly don't know how Kakert could have spelled things out any more clearer less than 2 days ago. Again, it all comes down to whether he's told he will be a 1st rounder. Period. If he is told he's a 1st rounder, he remains in the draft. If he is not told that, he returns to Iowa.

@TomKakert , if I have misstated anything, please let me know.
'
I really don't understand why you can't have a civil conversation about seemingly anything on this board anymore. I'm not attacking you and I'm not telling you that you're wrong. I'm simply saying I don't think it's as lock tight with the parameters you've said it is.

I would be interested in a clarification from Tom for sure.

I really don't understand why you can't have a civil conversation about seemingly anything on this board anymore. I'm not attacking you and I'm not telling you that you're wrong. I'm simply saying I don't think it's as lock tight with the parameters you've said it is.

This exactly. Fran, relax man. Let's be honest, Tom isn't part of the Murray family, he's not going to know everything. Even Kenyan can't guarantee anything at this point. This is Kris's decision, not your, not Tom's, not Kenyan's. You're claiming your statements are fact when they've comes from a friend (Tom), of a family member (Kenyan). Relax and we all hope Kris is back, but there's no guarantees at this point.

No doubt in my mind the anti Fran and anti Iowa basketball crowd would be ecstatic if Kris did not return. That would allow them to continue their whiney narrative.

Not sure who this is directed at but I like Fran (the coach.....ok, the poster too) and I definitely want Kris back next year. I'm even a big defender of Connor coming back. I'd even welcome Ash back for another year. I consider them all to be Hawkeyes and I want the best for all of them.

The only thing I've seen from Tom is him saying if Kris is guaranteed to be a 1st rounder, he's gone. I did not take from it that if Kris was a second rounder, he would 100% be back in an Iowa uniform. (Though, that certainly could be the case.)
https://www.si.com/nba/2022/05/05/n...smith-jaden-ivey-chet-holmgren-paolo-banchero

SI big board has Kris at 37, awfully close to that first round grade. They acknowledge that the perception was he would return but that a team may like him enough to encourage him to stay in the draft.

I don't post this to argue whether he is leaving or not as likely no one knows for sure right now. I'm just hoping fans temper their expectations a bit. We all know that if Kris officially leaves, ravenous posters will come out of the woodwork to dump on Fran. As if Fran developing players into NBA prospects is somehow an indictment on him.

I must have missed where Tom said Kenyan used the words "first round". Please provide the exact quote where Tom says it, or maybe Tom can restate it here. I'm not looking of the word "crazy", I'm looking for the words "first round".

Would Kris using the words "first round" suffice?

Here's the deal with Kris. As we reported last week, he was invited to the NBA Combine. Great for him. That's awesome. As I have said from the beginning, if a team tells him he's a first round pick, time to go play pro ball. That's his mindset too. But, there's a path he has to travel starting with the continued workouts in Chicago, then the Combine, and then you see if a team will tell you, yeah, you are ready and we are going to take you late in the first round. Hitting the panic button isn't needed at this point. This was always a possibly with Kris or any player who enters the draft. It just takes one team to fall in love with you.

Reading lots of "the NBA drafts on potential". While I'm sure that's a consideration, they only get TWO draft picks usually - might have traded one away or picked one up in a trade. They want guys that can help them win ... soon.

The NBA drafted Luka and JoeW based on potential. I mean, they are drafting Keegan based on potential - potential to be a star. I don't think he is going to be a star next year, but he's ready to help some team win games.

To me potential means that can get a good player, in hopes of him becoming a great player.

Drafting Kris would really be based on the hope that he will be as good as his brother. I'm betting they wait and see if it happens.

You said that Kris being told that he would go undrafted could nevertheless keep Kris in the draft. When I replied that was not going to happen, you replied with "I don't know what to tell you." And I simply said "that's funny" (it's actually ironic) because I don't know what to tell you other than there's no way Kris would stay in the draft if was told he'd go undrafted.

I think we are having a civil conversation, by the way.

This exactly. Fran, relax man. Let's be honest, Tom isn't part of the Murray family, he's not going to know everything. Even Kenyan can't guarantee anything at this point. This is Kris's decision, not your, not Tom's, not Kenyan's. You're claiming your statements are fact when they've comes from a friend (Tom), of a family member (Kenyan). Relax and we all hope Kris is back, but there's no guarantees at this point.

I am relaxed. ;)

Based on what Kenyon, Kris and Tom have stated, I think it's pretty clear that if Kris remains in the draft its because he's been told he's a 1st rounder and that he will be selected in the 1st round. If he can't be guaranteed the 1st round, he will withdraw from the draft and return to Iowa. It's as simple as that.

If I have misinterpreted any of this OR if Kris stays in the draft and gets picked in the 2nd round (or goes undrafted), I will gladly eat crow.

• Haha
Reactions: topherchris20
Would Kris using the words "first round" suffice?
That doesn't prove anything. We all know that if he's a first rounder he would go pro. What I looking for is where he says it's first round or he's definitely coming back. I don't think that's been decided at this point, at least it shouldn't be decided until he's talked to the teams and found out what they're saying.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/05/05/n...smith-jaden-ivey-chet-holmgren-paolo-banchero

SI big board has Kris at 37, awfully close to that first round grade. They acknowledge that the perception was he would return but that a team may like him enough to encourage him to stay in the draft.

I don't post this to argue whether he is leaving or not as likely no one knows for sure right now. I'm just hoping fans temper their expectations a bit. We all know that if Kris officially leaves, ravenous posters will come out of the woodwork to dump on Fran. As if Fran developing players into NBA prospects is somehow an indictment on him.

I hate to say this but the teams that pick at the end of the 1st round might take a hard look at his upside and decide to pick him. I could see Pat Riley of the Heat being interested, for example.

And watch out for a team like OKC, which is rebuilding and have 3 first round picks (#4, #12, #30). If Kris is a projected top 15 pick next year, why not pick him at #30 this year? It could be a steal for them. And yes, there is a reason I am not a GM. ;)

Teams picking towards the end of the 1st round:

#25 Bucks
#26 Spurs
#27 Heat
#28 Warriors
#29 Grizzlies
#30 Thunder

I am relaxed. ;)

Based on what Kenyon, Kris and Tom have stated, I think it's pretty clear that if Kris remains in the draft its because he's been told he's a 1st rounder and that he will be selected in the 1st round. If he can't be guaranteed the 1st round, he will withdraw from the draft and return to Iowa. It's as simple as that.

If I have misinterpreted any of this OR if Kris stays in the draft and gets picked in the 2nd round (or goes undrafted), I will gladly eat crow.

Think what you want to think. But please stop telling people they're wrong for their own interpretation. None of us (including Tom) have any real part in knowing the decision or making the decision. Why you don't see that is really odd.

That doesn't prove anything. We all know that if he's a first rounder he would go pro. What I looking for is where he says it's first round or he's definitely coming back. I don't think that's been decided at this point, at least it shouldn't be decided until he's talked to the teams and found out what they're saying.

Like I said, if Kris stays in the draft and gets picked in the 2nd round (or goes undrafted), I will gladly eat crow.

Reactions: longliveCS40
Think what you want to think. But please stop telling people they're wrong for their own interpretation. None of us (including Tom) have any real part in knowing the decision or making the decision. Why you don't see that is really odd.

Will you then please stop telling me I am wrong for my own interpretations? ;)

Tom is close to the family so he knows a LOT more than any of us. And less than 2 days ago he said he was confident in saying Kris would be back next season. Why you refuse to see that is really odd.

Tom is close to the family so he knows a LOT more than any of us. And less than 2 days ago he said he was confident in saying Kris would be back next season. Why you refuse to see that is really odd.
It is college basketball and an entertainment product and Kris may or not be back. I guess it is just really important that you always give your interpretations. Is it really that big of deal whether he comes back or not or what Tom stated?

You're the one who loves to tell others how they're wrong. I don't care what you believe. Of course Tom knows more than us, but that doesn't mean he knows what Kris will do. Only Kris knows what he would do today. What he'll do tomorrow is will depend on what happens tomorrow.

Reactions: onionman1
Is it really that big of deal whether he comes back or not or what Tom stated?

giphy.gif

You're the one who loves to tell others how they're wrong. I don't care what you believe. Of course Tom knows more than us, but that doesn't mean he knows what Kris will do. Only Kris knows what he would do today. What he'll do tomorrow is will depend on what happens tomorrow.

Well, I am OUTRAGED for you telling me I am wrong! ;)

You talk about today. Tomorrow. Well, guess what? On any day, between now and the deadline to remove his name from the NBA Draft, if he is guaranteed to be drafted in the 1st round, he will stay in the draft. If he doesn't get that 1st round guarantee between now & the deadline to withdraw from the draft, he is returning to Iowa. It's that simple.

And again, if Kris stays in the draft and gets picked in the 2nd round (or goes undrafted), I will gladly eat crow. But that won't be happening.

• Haha
Reactions: topherchris20
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT