ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think Kris Murray will return next season?

Does Kris return to Iowa for the 2022/2023 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For What It's Worth:
(Buffalo Springfield, c.1967)
Kris needs to build his resume as the focus of the Offense.

For What It's Worth:
(Buffalo Springfield, c.1967)
Kris needs to build his resume as the focus of the Offense.
Unfortunately its worth very little. The NBA is more concerned about potential then what these kids do in college. If Kris performs well at the combine and looking at Keegans blueprint, it would not be surprising to see a team take a shot with him. The question will be will the feedback he gets suggest a top 30-40 pick, because he has to withdraw before the actual draft.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Jees, and here I thought it was just me..... o_O

It's amazing how posters like you can't take it when others have a different opinion and call you out for your nonsense.

The latest nonsense that came from you:

You recently ripped Tyler Goodson, a 3 year starter. You claimed that you were simply pointing out flaws. Well, several of us called you out on it, because you went well beyond that. You wrote that 90% of the time his effort was pitiful. You wrote that he's the worst you have seen at Iowa at blitz pick up. You then wrote that he might as well have been out there with a red cape.

I mean, how more ridiculous can you be?

And you want to talk about fingernails on chalk boards.

Give us a break.

Last edited:
Hopefully Kris is able to make a huge impression and is able to go pro next year. Would hate it for Iowa but it is always awesome to see an Iowa player live out their dreams.

Reactions: amahawk
Pretty wild isn’t it? Only played 1 more minute than Connor too lol
The fact that Kris averaged almost 1 foul for every 6 minutes he was on the court in conference may have something to do with that. Kris is awesome and he will continue to get better, but we can't sugar coat the fact that he was often in foul trouble. Keegan struggled with it early in the season, but then finished the year only averaging 1 foul for every 16 minutes in conference.

Also for the should he been starting conversation--that goes back to the fact that we only had 3 serviceable big men in Keegan, Kris and Filip. If you start all 3 and 1 suddenly gets into foul trouble, then we'd have been seeing more spot minutes from Ogundele which personally would have been a poor decision. Kris rotated with Keegan and Filip because that's where the need was. He still finished 5th in minutes in conference play ahead of Tony, Connor, and Joe T.

The fact that Kris averaged almost 1 foul for every 6 minutes he was on the court in conference may have something to do with that. Kris is awesome and he will continue to get better, but we can't sugar coat the fact that he was often in foul trouble. Keegan struggled with it early in the season, but then finished the year only averaging 1 foul for every 16 minutes in conference.

Also for the should he been starting conversation--that goes back to the fact that we only had 3 serviceable big men in Keegan, Kris and Filip. If you start all 3 and 1 suddenly gets into foul trouble, then we'd have been seeing more spot minutes from Ogundele which personally would have been a poor decision. Kris rotated with Keegan and Filip because that's where the need was. He still finished 5th in minutes in conference play ahead of Tony, Connor, and Joe T.
So what you’re saying is that he could have played more mins?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
So what you’re saying is that he could have played more mins?
Sure, but if you take his foul rate he'd be sitting after about 12 minutes in the first half. It's just really hard to get into a rhythm when you're sitting that much. I'm sure your next comment will be to complain about Fran's 2 foul rule, but in this instance I remember multiple times this year where Kris was in foul trouble already in the 2nd half and within a possession or 2 of returning to the game Kris would pick up another one--and some of them were just boneheaded fouls as well. All I'm trying to say is that I don't think Fran can take all the blame for Kris' minutes; there is some amount of personal responsibility to it as well. There were some outlier games that really drove down his average of minutes: Northwestern 9 minutes, 4 fouls; Michigan 14 minutes, 5 fouls; Purdue championship 14 minutes, 4 fouls. There were some games early on in the year where I felt that Fran's leash was too short when Kris would make an error or start cold; I'll give you that.

Of the 8 who returned to college, I would love to hear how their draft forecasts are looking for this year. (In other words, did returning to college pay off?)
Names that I recognize that came back to college this year:
Max Abmas--G League camp invite
Ochai Agbaji--CBS mock 1.7, USAToday mock 1.18
Johnny Juzang--coming back for another year in '22-23
Matthew Mayer--Transfer Portal
Isaiah Mobley--not in mocks
Terrance Shannon Jr.--transfer portal to Illinois

If anyone else knows the other 2, I'd love to know. Out of these Agbaji clearly raised his profile this year. Juzang likely hurt his stock. Others would have likely been undrafted regardless with the exception being maybe Mobley due to his brother.

It's amazing how posters like you can't take it when others have a different opinion and call you out for your nonsense.

You recently ripped Tyler Goodson, a 3 year starter. You claimed that you were simply pointing out flaws. Well, several of us called you out on it, because you went well beyond that. You wrote that 90% of the time his effort was pitiful. You wrote that he's the worst you have seen at Iowa at blitz pick up. You then wrote that he might as well have been out there with a red cape.

Give us a break.
That post must've taken a long time to type up. You sure told him.

Reactions: kceasthawk

To be fair, though, Kris playing out of position as a 5 led to a lot of the foul issues. He was forced to guard much larger players.

I really would have liked to see the Kris, Keegan, Rebraca lineup more than we did. It is tough when you have three guys in Keegan, Kris, and PMac that are 6'8 guys that have similar skillsets and they just so happen to be the best 3 players on the team.

Not sure how so many threads deteriorate into silly arguments. Sounds like there is a high probability that Kris will be back, which is great news. Still waiting to see another Big man added. If not, Mulvey and/or Big O need to take a huge step forward AND the starting front line needs to stay healthy...
Theres an obvious common denominator to most of these threads that turn into pointless arguments.

Almost all of them involve the same person.

Banning him would increase traffic on the board considerably.

Give us a break.
You just can't help yourself can you, board King? So "several" "of US", called you out? Would you really like to take a fricken poll on how many people on here think YOU are insufferable? Really? The sad part is you most certainly do provide some useful information. It amazing anyone has the time to dig up all the stuff you do. Unfortunately you just can't stop at providing that service. Oh, NO, you've got to moderate everyone else's comments and run over other people's post, doubling over information already here by other posters even Tom and Blair. Your self absorbed, and have come to the conclusion that this site would not exist without your presence here. Well, you couldn't possibly more wrong. Why don't we find out. Don't post for 6 months and then see if Hawkeyereport.com isn't still here and doing just fine. What do you say, King Fran?

Reactions: blhawk
Theres an obvious common denominator to most of these threads that turn into pointless arguments.

Almost all of them involve the same person.

Banning him would increase traffic on the board considerably.
Exactly. Why don't we try it for 6 months and see how much better things would be.....

Reactions: RocknRollface
To be fair, though, Kris playing out of position as a 5 led to a lot of the foul issues. He was forced to guard much larger players.

I really would have liked to see the Kris, Keegan, Rebraca lineup more than we did. It is tough when you have three guys in Keegan, Kris, and PMac that are 6'8 guys that have similar skillsets and they just so happen to be the best 3 players on the team.
Most of his fouls were guarding players driving in him or trying to defend when out of position, not against bigs.

Kris ISN'T a post player!! He played that position because of necessity. He is being evaluated as a 3/4 (mostly 3) at the next level.

Kris ISN'T a post player!! He played that position because of necessity. He is being evaluated as a 3/4 (mostly 3) at the next level.

Yeah I see Kris at the 3 next year if Rebraca goes to the 4. Depends on whether Iowa has another starting caliber Center.

I don’t see that happening. Kris will more than likely need to play the 4 like Keegan.
In a motion offense like Iowa's it won't matter much. But Iowa needs to have 3 players 6'7" or taller on the floor for most games. With switches, those 3 will probably end up guarding taller players at some point anyway. It happens on all college teams.

You just can't help yourself can you, board King? So "several" "of US", called you out? Would you really like to take a fricken poll on how many people on here think YOU are insufferable? Really? The sad part is you most certainly do provide some useful information. It amazing anyone has the time to dig up all the stuff you do. Unfortunately you just can't stop at providing that service. Oh, NO, you've got to moderate everyone else's comments and run over other people's post, doubling over information already here by other posters even Tom and Blair. Your self absorbed, and have come to the conclusion that this site would not exist without your presence here. Well, you couldn't possibly more wrong. Why don't we find out. Don't post for 6 months and then see if Hawkeyereport.com isn't still here and doing just fine. What do you say, King Fran?

LOL

Why are so so butt hurt by me and others calling you out for your stupid comments on Tyler?

Are you off your meds? Or are you drinking? Or both?

You are good entertainment, I will give you that!

Definitely. And I think we all appreciate the fact that he played out of position this year out of necessity since our younger 5's weren't ready for the big stage. We would have been in a world of hurt if Filip was our only 5 and needed to play 35+ minutes a game.

In a motion offense like Iowa's it won't matter much. But Iowa needs to have 3 players 6'7" or taller on the floor for most games. With switches, those 3 will probably end up guarding taller players at some point anyway. It happens on all college teams.

While I agree with you for the most part, it usually is hard for someone who considers themselves a 3 to guard a center. PMac struggles guarding the 4. I’m sure Kris will have more success when he plays a 3 or 4.

While I agree with you for the most part, it usually is hard for someone who considers themselves a 3 to guard a center. PMac struggles guarding the 4. I’m sure Kris will have more success when he plays a 3 or 4.
Agreed.

I went back over last season's games against opponents with players 7' or taller. The only teams that gave Iowa a problem as a result of that were MI, PU and IL. WI had 2 bigs but neither was a big factor, neither was Bingham from MI State. Most of the trouble for Iowa came from guards and small forwards in the league. Iowa got better at defending against them in the second half of the B1G and did pretty well as a result.

IMHO, Kris seemed to have more trouble guarding quicker players. He would lose a step and get caught reaching. He got better as the year went on but he was still somewhat foul-prone. I am hoping that another year at Iowa playing the 3-4 positions, especially defensively, will get him drafted top 10. I think he's every bit as good as his brother, just a different temperament.

Reactions: SB_SB
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT