ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think Kris Murray will return next season?

Does Kris return to Iowa for the 2022/2023 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenyon said in the interview that if Kris comes back, NIL is not Kris' focus. NIL for Kris is more to help others and his community. And they would want to partner with people so that the relationship lasts a long time, not short term.

And IF Kris does comes back, he wants to help Iowa win a B1G Championship.

And its pretty clear Keegan's and Kris' stock is rising because of their character and how they are doing in the interviews with the NBA executives (combined w/ their basketball skills, of course).

If he fouls out of every game - then you can't have him in at the end when you need him. I'm not sure why people can't understand how that works and that his minutes had to be managed. How about we all see how it plays out when he is guarding primarily the wing? Then maybe this argument can be put to rest.

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
Not injured. Great momentum with his workouts and is still going to be evaluated by NBA teams even though he is not participating in the combine.

I said this before but the teams that pick at the end of the 1st round might take a hard look at his upside and decide to pick him. I could see Pat Riley of the Heat or Pop of the Spurs being interested, for example.

And I will be watching OKC, which is rebuilding and has 3 first round picks (#4, #12, #30). If Kris is a projected top 15 pick next year, why not pick him at #30 this year? It could be a steal for them, imo. How does Keegan at #4 and Kris at #30 sound? And yes, there is a reason I am not a GM. ;)

Teams picking at the end of the 1st Round:

#25 Bucks
#26 Spurs
#27 Heat
#28 Warriors
#29 Grizzlies
#30 Thunder

Reactions: amahawk
"Kris rotated with Keegan and Filip because that's where the need was."
I know that he played out of position. There were certainly games were Kris was underutilized to say the least. I just think that last year the best lineup for Iowa was when Kris played the 5 with Keegan at the 4. We can talk until we're blue in the face about how this was unfair to Kris, but the reality was that Filip had no real backup 5 if it was not for Kris.
If he were to comeback, Kris will play the 4 where it's more of his true position (especially in Iowa's motion offense where the 4 is often on the perimeter). Keegan averaged 31 minutes per game and I would expect Kris to be right up there and he'll continue to work on not picking up unnecessary fouls just like Keegan got significantly better as the year went on last season. I have no doubt.
I think this is correct. IMO his true position is actually the 3.. He will play the 4 because, again, that's where the team needs him most. He would probably be most effective at the 3 but that would likely be a net negative given Pmac's relative lack of versatility vs Kris's. I'd rather see Kris at the 4 than Pmac at the 4.

I think this is correct. IMO his true position is actually the 3.. He will play the 4 because, again, that's where the team needs him most. He would probably be most effective at the 3 but that would likely be a net negative given Pmac's relative lack of versatility vs Kris's. I'd rather see Kris at the 4 than Pmac at the 4.
This. Plus in college, 3s are usually smaller and quicker than in the NBA. He'll definitely be a 3 at the next level and has the ability to do that.

According to a tweet on the homepage, Kris has turned down an invite to an NBA camp. Perhaps, a sign that he is returning to Iowa to play the '22-'23 season. I sure hope so.

According to a tweet on the homepage, Kris has turned down an invite to an NBA camp. Perhaps, a sign that he is returning to Iowa to play the '22-'23 season. I sure hope so.
If you look up a few comments in this thread Kenyon actually filled us all in on where things stand as of today.

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
Listening to Tom Kakert on the podcast, he indicated Kris received an invite to the NBA combine. I think he mentioned approximately 63 or 64 players usually receive an invite.

There are 60 draft positions over the two rounds. Based on the above, that says to me Kris is right there on the cusp of draft status.

Do you think he returns next season or goes pro?

Kenyon seems to want us to believe Kris won't be back.

On April 18, Kenyon wrote that it would have to take something crazy for Kris to not come back to Iowa next season. At that time, I thought "something crazy" referred to a team telling him they would draft him in the 1st round.

On Tuesday, May 3, Tom basically confirmed what I thought because right now, "something crazy" (a team telling him they will draft him in the 1st round) does not seem likely.

Read for yourself:

On April 18, Kenyon wrote that it would have to take something crazy for Kris to not come back to Iowa this upcoming season. At that time, I thought "something crazy" referred to a team telling him they would draft him in the 1st round.

On Tuesday, May 3, Tom Kakert basically confirmed what I thought. He said this: What I was talking about is if a team says we are going to take you late in the first round if you stay in the draft. They give you a guarantee, privately, which happens fairly frequently in the NBA. Common sense is you would stay in the draft. I'm pretty confident Iowa fans will see Kris back in an Iowa uniform next season.

And, of course, Tom's story from today states that "something crazy" did not happen and that he was right on May 3rd when he said Kris will be back for another season.

From today's story:

...but without being guaranteed that he would be selected this year in the FIRST ROUND of the NBA Draft, he opted to return to Iowa to lead the Hawkeye program in the 2022-23 season.

The Full Story:

Good news, but unless Mulvey and/or Big O take a big step forward, Iowa still is going to be a man short in the middle (pun intended), especially if Rebraca or Kris get hurt or in foul trouble.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Good news, but unless Mulvey and/or Big O take a big step forward, Iowa still is going to be a man short in the middle (pun intended), especially if Rebraca or Kris get hurt or in foul trouble.
They both will be better with another year. I just hope that Josh has a healthy year - he was looking pretty damn good until he had health issues late last fall. This will be his year! 🤞

They both will be better with another year. I just hope that Josh has a healthy year - he was looking pretty damn good until he had health issues late last fall. This will be his year! 🤞
I hope your right, but I saw maybe short spurts in about 3 games where he did much, both Purdon't games included.

Despite the term identical twin, let's recognize that Kris is his own person. Keegan's performance is his own and I am definitely not laying expectations on Kris that he perform to that level. My hope is that he has a stellar season and plays himself into first round discussion next year. Again, that is the hope but not the expectation.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
Well, Kris become Iowa's biggest recruit. Riley is bringing it this season.

Strange end of an era aspect to the upcoming team. For the first time in six years Iowa won't be relying on anyone from that class with Jordan, Tyler, Cordell, and Ryan.

On April 18, Kenyon wrote that it would have to take something crazy for Kris to not come back to Iowa this upcoming season. At that time, I thought "something crazy" referred to a team telling him they would draft him in the 1st round.

On Tuesday, May 3, Tom Kakert basically confirmed what I thought. He said this: What I was talking about is if a team says we are going to take you late in the first round if you stay in the draft. They give you a guarantee, privately, which happens fairly frequently in the NBA. Common sense is you would stay in the draft. I'm pretty confident Iowa fans will see Kris back in an Iowa uniform next season.

And, of course, Tom's story from today states that "something crazy" did not happen and that he was right on May 3rd when he said Kris will be back for another season.

From today's story:

...but without being guaranteed that he would be selected this year in the FIRST ROUND of the NBA Draft, he opted to return to Iowa to lead the Hawkeye program in the 2022-23 season.

The Full Story:

More evidence of what Kenyon meant when he posted that it would have to take something crazy for Kris to not return to Iowa.

Kenyon doesn't mention anything about the 1st round being a deciding factor. He only says "unless something crazy happens, Kris will be back." He doesn't specify what "something crazy" means.

It could mean...Kris getting drafted in either round, could mean going undrafted with a team telling Kris he would have a good chance to make their team.

We have no idea what the criteria are for Kris coming back to Iowa or staying in the draft. Not to mention, said criteria could have changed in the last couple weeks based on feedback from scouts watching Kris workout.
Exactly. People will read something like Kenyon said and interpret it to mean what they want it to mean. In reality, he said nothing of the sort.
To me, crazy doesn't mean 1st round. Crazy means someone offers the right deal that Kris is wanting. You, Tom, or anyone doesn't know what the teams are going to offer when the time comes. If Crazy means 1st round, then why wouldn't Kenyan just say 1st round, why would he use crazy?

The only thing I've seen from Tom is him saying if Kris is guaranteed to be a 1st rounder, he's gone. I did not take from it that if Kris was a second rounder, he would 100% be back in an Iowa uniform. (Though, that certainly could be the case.)

That doesn't prove anything. We all know that if he's a first rounder he would go pro. What I looking for is where he says it's first round or he's definitely coming back. I don't think that's been decided at this point, at least it shouldn't be decided until he's talked to the teams and found out what they're saying.

It's that simple in your head, which is fine for you. I don't think it's so black and white, there's some grey areas and we'll see where it falls.
Kris very well might stay in the draft as an undrafted guy for all we know.

Here's an interesting article:

What I'm saying is that Kenyon saying "unless something CRAZY happens between now and the June 1 deadline, Kris is coming back." DOES NOT mean "unless Kris goes in the 1st round, he's coming back."

That isn't difficult to understand. "Something crazy" could mean upper 2nd round or it could mean 1st round only. We do not know...that is the point I'm making. You keep quoting Kenyon as if he said "Unless Kris is picked in the first round, he'll be back at Iowa" and he absolutely did not say that.

Getting an invite shows me that some teams would be willing to at least give him a two-way. Possible second rounder. The question is what kind of deal would he decide to leave for? I am not convinced its first round or bust.

Yesterday (video is below) Kris clearly stated that he would have stayed in the NBA Draft ONLY if he had a 1st Round guarantee. Kris was not interested in anything else, as many of you suggested he might.

On June 1, Chad Leistikow reported that Kenyon Murray told him that Kris had a lot of first-round interest in the NBA Draft but didn’t have a guarantee.

On May 6, I posted (reminded everyone) that Tom Kakert said Kris was returning to Iowa. Why did Tom say that? Because Kris was not being told he would be picked in the first round. In other words, something crazy was not happening for Kris in the 2022 NBA Draft. I thought it was as simple as that. Well, it was as simple as that.

Unfortunately, "something crazy" did not happen for Kris this year; but it should in 2023.

Watch:

Yesterday (video is below) Kris clearly stated that he would have stayed in the NBA Draft ONLY if he had a 1st Round guarantee. Kris was not interested in anything else, as many of you suggested he might.

On June 1, Chad Leistikow reported that Kenyon Murray told him that Kris had a lot of first-round interest in the NBA Draft but didn’t have a guarantee.

On May 6, I posted (reminded everyone) that Tom Kakert said Kris was returning to Iowa. Why did Tom say that? Because Kris was not being told he would be picked in the first round. In other words, something crazy was not happening for Kris in the 2022 NBA Draft. I thought it was as simple as that. Well, it was as simple as that.

Unfortunately, "something crazy" did not happen for Kris this year; but it should in 2023.

Watch:

Ahh Fran being Fran. My goodness your fragile ego and burning desire for superiority on this board completely offset any of the good info you bring to the table.

No one said Kris was going to go to the NBA without a 1st round offer. Read the posts from me that you quoted and you'll see. We said we didn't know and that it was possible. Many were speculating what would happen. At the time, no one knew that info for sure. Kenyon's quote of "Something crazy" was too ambiguous to say it meant "only if he has a guaranteed 1st round offer."

The only quote above that matters is the one from June 1st where Kenyon stipulates that Kris not having a 1st round guarantee was the deciding factor.

Frankly, I'm done reading your BS or spending any time responding. You make what should be a fun message board full of Iowa fans speculating on and discussing Iowa basketball less enjoyable.

Watch:

Congratulations on being right! Thanks for the post!

Ahh Fran being Fran. My goodness your fragile ego and burning desire for superiority on this board completely offset any of the good info you bring to the table.

No one said Kris was going to go to the NBA without a 1st round offer. Read the posts from me that you quoted and you'll see. We said we didn't know and that it was possible. Many were speculating what would happen. At the time, no one knew that info for sure. Kenyon's quote of "Something crazy" was too ambiguous to say it meant "only if he has a guaranteed 1st round offer."

The only quote above that matters is the one from June 1st where Kenyon stipulates that Kris not having a 1st round guarantee was the deciding factor.

Frankly, I'm done reading your BS or spending any time responding. You make what should be a fun message board full of Iowa fans speculating on and discussing Iowa basketball less enjoyable.
Let him have his fun, he's like a child screaming for attention. If you ignore him he shuts up faster.

Ahh, Longlive being Longlive. My goodness. Your fragile ego, your desire to be right and your burning desire for superiority on this board make discussing Iowa basketball much less enjoyable.

See, I can throw your childish, tired antics right back at you.

Please don't get so damn butt hurt when someone has a different opinion that ends up being correct.

There were many opinions on what Kenyon meant when he said it would have to take something crazy for Kris to not come back to Iowa this upcoming season.

You clearly wrote that "something crazy" could mean Kris getting drafted in either round; you then said Kris very well might stay in the draft as an undrafted guy for all we knew.

That's what you said. I thought you were wrong, especially about staying in the draft and going undrafted.

I obviously had a different opinion; Tom Kakert, an insider, had the same opinion as me in that it all came down to that 1st round guarantee. You thought we were both wrong, but neither of us reacted like a child and got all pissy like you continue to be.
lotr-gollum.gif

• Haha
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Man those 3 or 4 days when Fran was banned were some of the best days I can remember on this board. Maybe one day we'll be free of the drama.
There are the Fran-haters & then there are the rest of us. Sure he may at times beat a dead horse, but I think most HR members greatly value his extensive contributions to the Board. I do.

Malvin,
You didn't have an opinion, you did your usual and re-posted something Tom said. You act like you have inside info when you're stealing other's posts. Tom even got mad at your for that. You know nothing. As I said, you definitely have a mental disorder but you really are an @ss. Just read Mike's post below.

You didn't answer my question, why did Kris wait so long to take himself out of the draft? It was because he was waiting for a deal. It's that simple.

You really should stop acting like a 3 year old by calling me "Malvin." Good grief.

And quit lying. I clearly had an opinion. I THEN posted what Tom said because Tom agreed with my opinion that it all came down to that 1st round guarantee.

And you are lying again when you said I act like I have insider info, that I steal other's posts, and that Tom got mad at me for it. Here's the truth: you are clearly referring to another poster from the Lounge who took what Tom posted in the Lounge on May 10 (that Owen Freeman transferring to Moline) and posted it on the free board on May 13. Others then discussed it on the free board. Tom was mad at the Lounge poster, not me. So, get your facts straight and quit your damn lying.

And I did answer your question on why Kris waited so long to take himself out of the draft. He was clearly waiting for that 1st round guarantee. You wrote that "he was waiting for a deal." But, you can't seem to get it through your thick skull that there was only one deal he was interested in. It's that simple.

So, it's pretty clear that it is you who knows nothing and just spews a bunch of lies.

And it's pretty ironic that you, of all people, diagnose anyone with a mental disorder. All anyone has to do is look at what you post. And all you have to do is look in the mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT