ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think maybe coaches MIGHT know better?

kceasthawk

HR Legend
Nov 5, 2016
So we see threads on here that Cmac shouldn't play hardly at all, and certainly shouldn't shoot, same with Jbo, and hell even that Clark should not be shooting so many three's. Does anyone think just MAYBE these coaches know the players and what they have better the we do? Maybe Connor can shoot after all, leading Iowa shooting 42% from three in 18 BIG games played. Jbo has been a leader and Iowa is 7-1 since Fran put him back out front. As for Clark, I mean damn 8 for 11 Sunday from deep. She's 6 for 9 on three's attempted from beyond 30 ft! Bluder gives her a LLLOOONNNGGG leash. Players gotta play. ballers gotta ball. Just food for thought......

What if you could see the players in a private setting working 2 hours a day and then you could form opinions on which players should play in the games and could decide on how many minutes based on these private "practice" sessions? Seems like that would be a real advantage over people who only see some games. On TV. In a noisy bar.

Of course there is a reason why they're paid to coach and we're not.

Plenty of us were happy to eat crow as things started to click with JBo back at point and Connor becoming a legit offensive weapon lately. We get mad because the coaches don't necessarily make the kind of adjustments we'd expect, and when we'd expect, but who's to say that if we were put in that spot and had to make a bunch of decisions on the fly that we'd fare any better? Coaches are people too, and make mistakes just like us. Yeah sometimes it's little things like a head-scratching substitution, or playing zone when we should have been playing man that come back to haunt coaches after an excruciating loss, but it's also the coach's job to learn from his/her mistakes. The way we get up and yell at our TVs or smartphones because a player launched an ill-advised three or had all five guys surround one player but that one player still got the rebound - yeah it's easy to get frustrated but it's definitely not easy keeping those frustrations in check and keeping your team from imploding. Fran has some stubbornness, sure, but he's not clueless. He absolutely deserves credit for finding what clicks and getting this team to shift into the next gear. Iowa was a good team last year, but this year they're - dare I say - dangerous. I don't think any team will be looking forward to playing Iowa going forward.

So we see threads on here that Cmac shouldn't play hardly at all, and certainly shouldn't shoot, same with Jbo, and hell even that Clark should not be shooting so many three's. Does anyone think just MAYBE these coaches know the players and what they have better the we do? Maybe Connor can shoot after all, leading Iowa shooting 42% from three in 18 BIG games played. Jbo has been a leader and Iowa is 7-1 since Fran put him back out front. As for Clark, I mean damn 8 for 11 Sunday from deep. She's 6 for 9 on three's attempted from beyond 30 ft! Bluder gives her a LLLOOONNNGGG leash. Players gotta play. ballers gotta ball. Just food for thought......
I'm 100% with you on this....I've been pretty self righteous with this topic a number of times. Here is what this boils down to, for me.

I get the emotional reaction to plays/players/coaching decisions that yield bad results. I get it. I feel the same way about most of the stuff BUT....I don't let that dictate my comments or what I write AT THAT MOMENT. I've dropped a few bombs in my living room, etc........but when the emotion subsides a little common sense should take over.

Just what @hooper56 said....the coaches see these guys in practice. They KNOW what they are capable of. They know how players go through good play and bad, and that over the course of the season the best LONG TERM strategy might be more important than short term gut reactions.

Some fans, trashing our own players on message boards, in tweets, where ever on social media....Jebus, just stop.

Certainly, clearly we can question and discuss play, strategy, etc......but the emotion results in "he should never shoot again, he's terrible"...."He's a D3 player at best" and much worse comments that end up looking stupid often times within days of when they are made.

I think we as fans should be able to attend practice and know all the medical issues of the players
and be able to tell the coaches who to play and when to play and expecting the players to magically
gel together like they have the last 7 or so games. (tongue in cheek)
We as fans should get excited and cheer for the players and let the coaches coach.

I'm very happy to see cmac, making 3s...but you can't pretend his open 3 point attempts are the same as other players.

I'm 100% with you on this....I've been pretty self righteous with this topic a number of times. Here is what this boils down to, for me.

I get the emotional reaction to plays/players/coaching decisions that yield bad results. I get it. I feel the same way about most of the stuff BUT....I don't let that dictate my comments or what I write AT THAT MOMENT. I've dropped a few bombs in my living room, etc........but when the emotion subsides a little common sense should take over.

Just what @hooper56 said....the coaches see these guys in practice. They KNOW what they are capable of. They know how players go through good play and bad, and that over the course of the season the best LONG TERM strategy might be more important than short term gut reactions.

Some fans, trashing our own players on message boards, in tweets, where ever on social media....Jebus, just stop.

Certainly, clearly we can question and discuss play, strategy, etc......but the emotion results in "he should never shoot again, he's terrible"...."He's a D3 player at best" and much worse comments that end up looking stupid often times within days of when they are made.
Message Boards are a good place to get things off your chest. If you want to have a good discussion, those get derailed pretty quickly. God forbid if you disagree with someone or simply have another opinion. Then you get a good idea of what "thin skinned" actually is. After a loss I get upset for about 10 minutes, then I move on. As soon as a sporting event starts to affect my life, I'm out. As far as questioning the coaches, I'll trust the professionals, and not the one's with an Uncle Rico complex. Pretty sure they have more intel than they are given credit for.

I'm very happy to see cmac, making 3s...but you can't pretend his open 3 point attempts are the same as other players.
You are correct - and you'll also notice several others who are getting the same open looks and won't take the shots. Hence, the lane gets packed.

You are correct - and you'll also notice several others who are getting the same open looks and won't take the shots. Hence, the lane gets packed.
Pretty funny that many of our guards get less respect at 3s than the forwards
Ok, maybe funny is the wrong word :)

I'm not pretending anything. My point is the guy was a top 100 rated player coming out of high school, (#92 I believe I've seen). The fact that he had enough interest to play both sports tells me he's a heck of an athlete. He's had a ton of injuries, damn near the same crap that Pemsl went through, and yet he's never stopped giving 100% and being a great team mate, and a deans list student. I have to think even with the injuries Fran's always believed he brought value to the lineup. He was a solid scorer in high school, so he must have some game. Cudo's to Fran for sticking to his guns, and to Connor for keeping his chin pointed in the right direction. As I stated the same thing goes to posts about Clark. There's been plenty of stuff on here about her shooting too much, too many three's, too many turnovers etc...I don't think she could be the player we saw again on Sunday if you put a leash on her.

I'm not pretending anything. My point is the guy was a top 100 rated player coming out of high school, (#92 I believe I've seen). The fact that he had enough interest to play both sports tells me he's a heck of an athlete. He's had a ton of injuries, damn near the same crap that Pemsl went through, and yet he's never stopped giving 100% and being a great team mate, and a deans list student. I have to think even with the injuries Fran's always believed he brought value to the lineup. He was a solid scorer in high school, so he must have some game. Cudo's to Fran for sticking to his guns, and to Connor for keeping his chin pointed in the right direction. As I stated the same thing goes to posts about Clark. There's been plenty of stuff on here about her shooting too much, too many three's, too many turnovers etc...I don't think she could be the player we saw again on Sunday if you put a leash on her.
Talking about him leading in b1g 3pt %,is meaningless.

Fran didn't keep playing cmac because he thinks he a great shooter

• Haha
Reactions: pmtdc
Does anyone think just MAYBE these coaches know the players and what they have better the we do?
8552.gif

Last edited:
So is he being left open and ignored? Or is he getting open and making shots?
I think we'll find out about that in the coming weeks. I don't really care as long as he keeps hitting shots like he's been of late. That would be absolutely huge in the scheme of things. It's not like he hasn't played hard/well defensively.

About a month ago, CMac was shooting around 16% from 3.

I don’t believe Fran has ever played Connor because of his 3 point shooting. It’s definitely an added bonus and we’ll take it, but let’s not get carried away.

Oh, and yes, Fran probably knows a little bit more about his team than say BillyBobHawk69 or BangingOP’sMomNext, but I’m not sure what exactly that tells us.

I used to have a lot more respect for Iowa fans before I joined this Board. They have been quiet for a few games, but I’m expecting them to crawl out from underneath the bushes for the next couple of games or the moment we lose a game at the B1G tourney or at the Dance!

....if he's not making shots which covers most of his career, then he's a net negative because he is not guarded. Ask Oregon how much they feared him. Maybe he should have practiced more and then made himself a better shooter earlier and he could have avoided the legitimate complaints about his shooting.

Iowa is 11-7, fifth place in the league, don’t act like they are going to win the conference. 4-6 as they entered February, have won 7 of 8 in the month. Let’s see how the season ends vs Michigan and Illini as well as the B1G tourney before we anoint Fran coach of the year at 13-7, 12-8, or 11-9. And no he won’t win coach of the year. It’s Gard or Underwood.

Its pretty silly to pretend Fran knew this shooting from Connor was coming. He obviously didn't.

Connor has been here 5 years and never been a good 3pt shooter until his last 5 games.

Obviously he brings other good things and those are more applicable when he's not being left unguarded but using his shooting streak as a justification for previous years of playing time is moving the goal post in hindsight.

Not to say he never deserved pt before but shooting has never been the reason he played.

So is he being left open and ignored? Or is he getting open and making shots?
Hes not being left unguarded to the extent he was before but teams are not afraid to leave him to help on drives either.

They are closing out when he has the ball where they were daring him to shoot before. Thats really the biggest deal is making them close out. That keeps the defense off balance and moving.

I used to have a lot more respect for Iowa fans before I joined this Board. They have been quiet for a few games, but I’m expecting them to crawl out from underneath the bushes for the next couple of games or the moment we lose a game at the B1G tourney or at the Dance!
An absolute guarantee that they will show up as soon as the Hawks lose the first game. Their elite coaching and playing ability will allow them to make critical statements as if they are facts supported by irrefutable evidence.

Iowa is 11-7, fifth place in the league, don’t act like they are going to win the conference. 4-6 as they entered February, have won 7 of 8 in the month. Let’s see how the season ends vs Michigan and Illini as well as the B1G tourney before we anoint Fran coach of the year at 13-7, 12-8, or 11-9. And no he won’t win coach of the year. It’s Gard or Underwood.
4th place, chump. Let that soak in.

Go read the MSU game thread from tonight on 247. Hell, there is a thread on the NW board telling Collins to stay in Iowa City. Meanwhile, Purdue fans rag on Jaden Ivey. It is actually pretty tame here. People vent on message boards.

I don't think anyone ever argued about what the coaches see in practice. Our issue was what we were seeing in games. You know... The things that count towards your record.

Reactions: Bee93
4th place, chump. Let that soak in.

Season isn’t over yet, dipwad.

Happy to see the Hawks winning but some of you are just happy with being in 4th place.
And some of you are happy when you constantly have a cob up your arse aren't you.;)

Absolutely not. Just pointing out things that seemed to be missed.
With this team coming off last year and losing what Iowa did, you aren't happy with 4th place at this point?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Nope. Just do it to piss you off. It’s great to see the Hawks win but some of you want to anoint Fran coach of the year at 11-7.
Where did I say that?

If you have a bone to pick with the B1G commentators who have been saying that, maybe you should write to them?

ADVERTISEMENT