ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think maybe coaches MIGHT know better?

Season isn’t over yet, dipwad.

Happy to see the Hawks winning but some of you are just happy with being in 4th place.
Well some perspective might be nice. Considering we lost the NPOY, an all conference wing to the NBA, and Nunge, and he who shall remain nameless who was a starter, NO ONE knew what this team night be and we were picked anywhere from 9th to 11 and yet we may be the hottest team in the BIG at just the right time? Sure maybe something to be pleased with. Or something else to consider, if you can't be at least somewhat pleased with where this team is right now all things considered, how do you relate that to be an Iowa fan? Is it like we win the BIG every few years? Ah NO. If anything this team has risen above expectations. Sorry if we're not all pissed that they have......

Iowa is 11-7, fifth place in the league, don’t act like they are going to win the conference. 4-6 as they entered February, have won 7 of 8 in the month. Let’s see how the season ends vs Michigan and Illini as well as the B1G tourney before we anoint Fran coach of the year at 13-7, 12-8, or 11-9. And no he won’t win coach of the year. It’s Gard or Underwood.
I don’t think your rooting AGAINST a successful finish for our Hawkeyes?…..but are you aware of how what you wrote reads/sounds? You know the reason it reads like you’re hoping Iowa loses is because a fan who hopes they win but has legitimate concerns about winning B10 road games against talented teams can say it (it seems like they say it) differently.

I don't think anyone ever argued about what the coaches see in practice. Our issue was what we were seeing in games. You know... The things that count towards your record.
Absolutely. Right you are. And its sure easy to watch the game, and then get on your ipad and let everyone know how you'd coach the game, or you'd have made substitutions based on so and so not having a good shooting night after the fact. Of course some guy like Jbo might miss the first 4 or 5 and then make the next 6 or 7, but hind sights a wonderful thing. It convinces Joe average that he knows what the hell he's talking about, and maybe he should be coaching.....

Reactions: perryhawk
Go read the MSU game thread from tonight on 247. Hell, there is a thread on the NW board telling Collins to stay in Iowa City. Meanwhile, Purdue fans rag on Jaden Ivey. It is actually pretty tame here. People vent on message boards.
I think they are trying to say, there is a time and place. After wins, during a 4 game win streak, winning 7 of 8, you're either a troll or just a sad human.

Why wouldn't we be happy with a 4th place finish in the big ten? Nobody is doing cartwheels, but damn dude, it's a pretty successful season at this point. Why don't you go drown a ferret or something?
Sarcasm is a wonderful thing and hope they finish in fourth with two tough road games to go.

Why wouldn't we be happy with a 4th place finish in the big ten? Nobody is doing cartwheels, but damn dude, it's a pretty successful season at this point. Why don't you go drown a ferret or something?

Agreed. Last year, 4th place would probably have been considered a bit of a disappointment given a Top 5-10 preseason ranking. This season, after losing so much from a year ago, I think 4th place can definitely be considered a success. Even if Iowa drops these last 2 road games and ends up 6th or 7th, this team is dancing and I don't think most of us expected that. Again, that doesn't mean we have to be jumping up and down about that every year, but this year, I'd say that this team has beaten expectations. It was supposed to be a rebuilding kind of year.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's OK for expectations to vary somewhat from season to season, given the circumstances. At least until we become Duke and reload with 4-5* talent on an annual basis, that is.

I come to the message boards when things are going good. Sort of to extend the joy of winning and re-live it a little bit. Same with podcasts, twitter, etc.

I am 50 years old and have learned over time to turn off the noise when things go bad. I can now do that. It took awhile. I coached HS basketball for 15 years starting right after college. Many sleepless nights replaying things in my head. I'd do the same thing with Hawkeye basketball. Crushing defeats just stuck with you longer, sometimes years. The victories just fade quicker.

If the key to your fandom happiness is winning a conference title or getting to a final four, etc. Good f'ing luck with that. No matter who your team is it will almost always end poorly.

Fran has a .500 or better conference record in 9 out of the last 10 years. Fairly impressive to get to that level of consistency and be in contention for NCAA bids every year. There are 13 other Big 10 Universities attempting to have a successful program by paying big money for coaches, facilities, etc. Fran has done better than most. A few definitely exceed his success. Iowa does not have the best crowds (fans and admin could help that situation), the best recruiting base (it is what it is) or facilities, and it probably not considered a dream school for many outside the fanbase.

I'll take what he has done and enjoy the competitive basketball, overall quality individuals that are part of the program, and hope for that elusive sweet 16 or beyond run to happen. If it doesn't ,my life really hasn't changed. I realize players give a lot of themselves, including young guys having surgeries/multiple surgeries, 1000s of hours of work and I have to do is grab a few beers with my Hawkeye friends and live and die with every shot.

Agreed. Last year, 4th place would probably have been considered a bit of a disappointment given a Top 5-10 preseason ranking. This season, after losing so much from a year ago, I think 4th place can definitely be considered a success. Even if Iowa drops these last 2 road games and ends up 6th or 7th, this team is dancing and I don't think most of us expected that. Again, that doesn't mean we have to be jumping up and down about that every year, but this year, I'd say that this team has beaten expectations. It was supposed to be a rebuilding kind of year.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's OK for expectations to vary somewhat from season to season, given the circumstances. At least until we become Duke and reload with 4-5* talent on an annual basis, that is.
Exactly, programs like ours (Unfortunate as it is), aren't mainstays. We are going to have ups and downs because we aren't pulling in the 4/5 stars from all over the country. Look no further than ISU the last couple years. Maryland, MSU, Indiana, and Minnesota last year. Okie or WVU this year. TCU last year. Oregon St was in the elite 8 last year, and now has about 4 wins. These are just programs that have had some success, it's ignoring tons of others who haven't even been up at any point lately.

With this team coming off last year and losing what Iowa did, you aren't happy with 4th place at this point?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
It is ok to adjust expectations. You don't have to be stuck with "what you thought would happen" from last year. Wisconsin seemed to bound back just fine, why couldn't we?
It's a message board people, get a grip. We won't see things the same. Sorry but get over it.
Personally, I think our record would be about the same this year if JBO and CMAC don't play. I think they would also be better off for it next year. Guess what it's ok not to agree with me.

Reactions: Bee93 and littlez
Is your point that no one should have opinions or observations about the games?

This message board might as well be shutdown then.

The coaches should and often do know better than fans on what moves should be made. On the other hand, sometimes being that close to the situation and having built in biases clouds judgement. Coaches judgement isn't above reproach.

Moving JBo to the point isn't the only move that was made to cause the turnaround...

Reactions: littlez
Fran gambled on the JBo moving to the starting point and it certainly helped move the team in the right direction. I was certainly in the Yea, but crowd. Even if we lose the next 2, and finish even top 6 this has been a damn good season losing who we lost. I have to admit I was worried about team chemistry, and to all the players credit it seems to have meshed together. Kudos to Fran. At 4-6 or whatever we were it certainly wasn't working. A change probably needed to be made and he made one. He's the coach, he picked what he thought was right and it worked. Happy for our team. Let's get the 4 seed in the B1G tourney and see what happens down the road.

Is your point that no one should have opinions or observations about the games?

This message board might as well be shutdown then.

The coaches should and often do know better than fans on what moves should be made. On the other hand, sometimes being that close to the situation and having built in biases clouds judgement. Coaches judgement isn't above reproach.

Moving JBo to the point isn't the only move that was made to cause the turnaround...
Not at all. Its the extreme's of we suck, player A sucks, player b shouldn't be playing at all, like we really have a better idea who should be playing. To me thats not just an opinion, BUT thats "just my opinon". ;)

Not at all. Its the extreme's of we suck, player A sucks, player b shouldn't be playing at all, like we really have a better idea who should be playing. To me thats not just an opinion, BUT thats "just my opinon". ;)
Of course people have opinions. People have opinions on who is the greatest player of all time. Jordan or LeBron? Jordan or Wilt? Etc. It's called being a fan. At 4-6 we looked lost on defense, getting pushed around, JBo looked like he was coming off hip surgery and Connor Mac looked like he shouldn't even be on the floor a lot of the times. Yes, he was battling injuries, and many of us didn't know to what extent, and probably still don't. We were getting killed in the paint and didn't have many good wins. Now 8 games later that has all turned around. Has Fran waved a magic wand? Who knows what's happened. Were fans wrong to want to see more of Kris Murray? I'd say no. He's still the 2nd best player on the team. Guys have stepped up, maybe others have gotten healthier, Rebracca has learned his role a little better, Keegan is still Keegan, one of the top 5 players in the country. Multiple things have turned around. That doesn't mean people were wrong for questioning how things looked on the court at 4-6.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
I used to have a lot more respect for Iowa fans before I joined this Board. They have been quiet for a few games, but I’m expecting them to crawl out from underneath the bushes for the next couple of games or the moment we lose a game at the B1G tourney or at the Dance!
Why would they crawl out for the next 2 games?
Iowa is 11-7, fifth place in the league, don’t act like they are going to win the conference. 4-6 as they entered February, have won 7 of 8 in the month. Let’s see how the season ends vs Michigan and Illini as well as the B1G tourney before we anoint Fran coach of the year at 13-7, 12-8, or 11-9. And no he won’t win coach of the year. It’s Gard or Underwood.
The next 2 will show if we can get our hopes up at all :)

I agree to an extent. The one exception perhaps being the game threads. Emotions are always high watching real-time and posts are being made quickly. If we're talking about someone creating a thread saying "So and so sucks and should transfer!" Yeah, that's dumb.

I think it was fair when people were questioning Connor and JBo's playing time when they were struggling mightily from 3 point range. Is it also fair to look back and say the coaches knew they both would shoot out of their respective slumps? Sure...maybe they did, maybe they didn't. As you said, they get to see them play every day so they have more information. I don't agree that it always translates to coaches making the right decisions, though. Coaching isn't easy.

I like the discussion created by people posting their opinions on here. It's fun to see different perspectives from people that are watching the same action. People definitely get carried away with wild opinions and the ad hominem attacks on individuals is pretty dumb.

I agree to an extent. The one exception perhaps being the game threads. Emotions are always high watching real-time and posts are being made quickly. If we're talking about someone creating a thread saying "So and so sucks and should transfer!" Yeah, that's dumb.

I think it was fair when people were questioning Connor and JBo's playing time when they were struggling mightily from 3 point range. Is it also fair to look back and say the coaches knew they both would shoot out of their respective slumps? Sure...maybe they did, maybe they didn't. As you said, they get to see them play every day so they have more information. I don't agree that it always translates to coaches making the right decisions, though. Coaching isn't easy.

I like the discussion created by people posting their opinions on here. It's fun to see different perspectives from people that are watching the same action. People definitely get carried away with wild opinions and the ad hominem attacks on individuals is pretty dumb.
The people who tout how they go back and laugh at game threads are the funniest people on this board… like they feel no emotions while they watch Iowa games and that somehow makes them better fans than the rest of us

Stranger danger!!

The people who tout how they go back and laugh at game threads are the funniest people on this board… like they feel no emotions while they watch Iowa games and that somehow makes them better fans than the rest of us
They think they real fans...theyre really just fake fanatics :)

Again .....Social Media is very bad for society ...it gives dumb people a voice! This years team has very much over achieved..... and we should be proud of our team and enjoying a great season! Lets go back and look at some of the dumb people voices we have heard recently!
How about how Dumb Fran was for signing the Murray twins.....lets talk about how dumb that was!!

How about this team would be finishing below .500 in the league and might make the Nit ........more dumbness!

Jbo and CM being worthless and shouldn't be playing........more worthless flapping of the lips!

The bottom line is no ones knows how any season will play out .....the only way to not look like a idiot is to keep you trap shut and let the season play out!

So lets all enjoy without the complaining and posting dumb comments!

Go Hawks!

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Again .....Social Media is very bad for society ...it gives dumb people a voice! This years team has very much over achieved..... and we should be proud of our team and enjoying a great season! Lets go back and look at some of the dumb people voices we have heard recently!
How about how Dumb Fran was for signing the Murray twins.....lets talk about how dumb that was!!

How about this team would be finishing below .500 in the league and might make the Nit ........more dumbness!

Jbo and CM being worthless and shouldn't be playing........more worthless flapping of the lips!

The bottom line is no ones knows how any season will play out .....the only way to not look like a idiot is to keep you trap shut and let the season play out!

So lets all enjoy without the complaining and posting dumb comments!

Go Hawks!
Well we wouldn’t have message boards if we all agreed and only posted smart comments!

It is ok to adjust expectations. You don't have to be stuck with "what you thought would happen" from last year. Wisconsin seemed to bound back just fine, why couldn't we?
It's a message board people, get a grip. We won't see things the same. Sorry but get over it.
Personally, I think our record would be about the same this year if JBO and CMAC don't play. I think they would also be better off for it next year. Guess what it's ok not to agree with me.
Being happy with the current state of Iowa basketball doesn't mean I don't want more. And I don't set my expectations based on what other teams do. Life's to short to always think the grass is greener.

• Love
Reactions: perryhawk
Or, we have real friends we watch the games and vent with. Perhaps if you didn't talk like Mac Miller, you too, would have a real life friend. RIP Mac.
Everybody who has the time to watch multiple two and a half hour games during the work week with their friends must not be able to get a girlfriend

See how over generalizations work?

• Haha
Reactions: nbanflfactory
Everybody who has the time to watch multiple two and a half hour games during the work week with their friends must not be able to get a girlfriend

So...you vent to your girlfriend? Or do you vent to your imaginary friends on the internet?

A. I don't go to the game threads post game and bash anyone.
B. NBA is a troll who bashes our players and coaches every day.
C. If you're good looking enough, you'll find a girlfriend who understands game times, and you'll marry her.

C. If you're good looking enough, you'll find a girlfriend who understands game times, and you'll marry her.
C is true. 35 years and going strong. 🙂

So we see threads on here that Cmac shouldn't play hardly at all, and certainly shouldn't shoot, same with Jbo, and hell even that Clark should not be shooting so many three's. Does anyone think just MAYBE these coaches know the players and what they have better the we do? Maybe Connor can shoot after all, leading Iowa shooting 42% from three in 18 BIG games played. Jbo has been a leader and Iowa is 7-1 since Fran put him back out front. As for Clark, I mean damn 8 for 11 Sunday from deep. She's 6 for 9 on three's attempted from beyond 30 ft! Bluder gives her a LLLOOONNNGGG leash. Players gotta play. ballers gotta ball. Just food for thought......

Of course the coaches know the players and what they have way better than we fans do.

The coaches have been doing this, and ONLY THIS, all their professional lives. They have forgotten more about basketball than any of us know about basketball. Nevertheless, the "experts" on here are constantly questioning why Fran starts "so and so" and why "so and so" only gets so many minutes.

Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows Connor has always brought a lot to the table. Yet the "experts" on here wanted Connor benched. And now he's hitting the 3 ball, which makes him an even bigger threat. Now the "experts" want him to play and to come back for one more season!!!

When all the "experts" on here wanted JBo benched, Fran, the actual expert, did the opposite by moving JBo back to Point Guard; this was the turning point of the season, of course. And now Fran is being mentioned as a B1G Coach of the Year candidate.

Who'd i bash jizzstain? Bf? Ash scholly? Our shitty QB play?

Oh no, how dare I.

Last edited:
Who'd - contraction for Who would or who had, not who did. Dolt.
I’m not sure why you don’t just ignore this guy. He couldn’t correlate likes and when that button was created, to any username created before the like button. The dude literally judges himself off of messageboard anonymous likes.

Reactions: PIEPI
ADVERTISEMENT