ADVERTISEMENT

Do you tip at events

Derekd3408

HR Legend
Gold Member
Feb 10, 2011
Where the bill and tip is covered? For example, company Christmas party where they add 20% to the bill or a wedding with an open bar. I always do and it seems really stupid. Should I change my ways?

Where the bill and tip is covered? For example, company Christmas party where they add 20% to the bill or a wedding with an open bar. I always do and it seems really stupid. Should I change my ways?
Exceptional service always gets a tip from me. When I doordash, I sometimes give my driver an extra couple bucks if they're polite and don't take my meal on a cross-city tour dropping off other meals.

Reactions: NCHawk5

If there is a tip jar at the bar then absolutely. Otherwise I can understand not doing it, but I always do anyway. I don’t care how much money is getting tossed around between companies, the poor slugs working the event almost certainly can use the cash.

Yes for bartenders I still tip. In fact if going to an event like that I make sure I have some singles and fives in the wallet. I don’t go out of the way to tip the actual servers bringing food out or serving buffet unless they have perhaps a communal tip jar for that.

Yes, as I tend to get better service and stiffer drinks
Yep. That's generally the case. I've worked various bar jobs in my lifetime and was doing weddings on the weekends until recently. High end place where beer and wine was generally always open but a lot of times it was full open bar. You know that period at many weddings during dinner seating and plating that the bars stop serving? The people that actually tipped me during the cocktail get snuck in. Those that didn't and come up crying about having to wait for a drink get told to pound sand.

Reactions: bdg8
If there’s an open bar it’s the responsibility of the host to tip accordingly at the end of the night IMO

• Sad
Reactions: The Tradition
ADVERTISEMENT