ADVERTISEMENT

Dochterman says that once a couple QBs hit the Portal Iowa will be all over them (Brendan Sullivan visiting May 7)

*edit KAKERT* said on the Hawkeye of the storm video with don Patterson after the spring practice that someone in the program said Lincoln kienholz was never an option and even if he was in the ports he wouldn’t be an option.
The first part I believe. The second part is bullsh*t.

I would be surprised if it is not Sullivan. His completion percentage is good, except for a game against PSU. He was like 63% against the Hawks. He has been used to the quick read since HS. Lester knows him and probably so does KF. He is from NW, so he should not have any issues adapting to college classes and he is probably smart enough to pick things up really fast, which is going to be needed between now and fall. It is a short move down the road and that can all be done in a day or two. The whole thing seems rather seamless.

I would be surprised if it is not Sullivan. His completion percentage is good, except for a game against PSU. He was like 63% against the Hawks. He has been used to the quick read since HS. Lester knows him and probably so does KF. He is from NW, so he should not have any issues adapting to college classes and he is probably smart enough to pick things up really fast, which is going to be needed between now and fall. It is a short move down the road and that can all be done in a day or two. The whole thing seems rather seamless.
what was he ranked in HS, who offered him?

I don't know what the deal is with Kaidon Salter at Liberty. Entered the portal, then decided to return to Liberty? Seems like he's already accomplished everything he can at the G-5 level, taking a fledgling program to the NY6. He's an excellent RPO QB - 2876 passing yards, 32 TD and only 6 INT last season, while rushing for 1089 yds. I respect a guy loyal to his school/program, but I'd have to think that there is a lot of (unofficial) inquiries about if he might re-enter the portal.

Edit - he should have at least 2 years of eligibility remaining, maybe 3 (don't know when the "COVID year" rules expire).

Last edited:
The first part I believe. The second part is bullsh*t.
I’d have to rewatch, maybe I misunderstood. As another poster said maybe it would be a “see we don’t tamper” type comment. Regardless it seems we get someone, and that someone will be better than deacon hill

From the sounds of it Sullivan was poised to be the starter this year too. So yeah, he would be coming in and competing for the starting job this year. If he doesn't get it, he might end up playing anyway and with 2 years left is almost certain to be the starter next year. Not a ding on Marco, because during that time, he could really take off and compete for the job next year and even if he had to wait, the year after (2.5 years with Tim), he is going to be about as good as ever. He gets his couple of years in the spotlight and the sky is the limit for the young man. https://www.insidenu.com/2024/4/23/...b-brendan-sullivan-enters-the-transfer-portal

63% completion rate against a 7th ranked defense in the country, and arguably the best back field in the country.
76% against iowa the year before in 2022. Dude averages like 60 yards more per game passing than deacon as well as 1/4 the amount of turnovers…And much better stats when he runs the balls. Not saying he starts over Cade but with this guy last year we beat Minnesota and play PSU much closer. I’m still not convinced he wants to come here but as a fan I’d welcome it!

I'm in the believe it when I see it camp with regards to a quality portal QB coming to Iowa. There is a lot of competition out there for these guys.

But, I never believed that Cade would come here either and bring an excellent TE. (Of course, they both got hurt).

So, we'll see.

76% against iowa the year before in 2022. Dude averages like 60 yards more per game passing than deacon as well as 1/4 the amount of turnovers…And much better stats when he runs the balls. Not saying he starts over Cade but with this guy last year we beat Minnesota and play PSU much closer. I’m still not convinced he wants to come here but as a fan I’d welcome it!
Did you see his post? Matthew 5:44? Love thy enemy. Idk who is NW's arch rival is, but we have to be right up there.

The biggest thing going against us getting a good portal QB is the word is out on KF and how loyal he is to QB1. QB1 has to be on his deathbed to get replaced. Why would anyone come here expecting a fair competition. KF is just going to give Cade the keys until he sputters and dies.

Reactions: DewHawk
The biggest thing going against us getting a good portal QB is the word is out on KF and how loyal he is to QB1. QB1 has to be on his deathbed to get replaced. Why would anyone come here expecting a fair competition. KF is just going to give Cade the keys until he sputters and dies.
And see last season. Cade got hurt.

And if a dude doesn't believe in himself and want to compete, do we really want him anyway?

I'd normally be in that camp, but I'm willing to let this play out and see what happens. This is the first time in 25 years that KF has had an OC that wasn't a family friend, a family member, or a washed up old dude looking for one last opportunity and a paycheck.

Growing up, KF was a PSU fan and loved JoPa (the coach JoPa used to be, not the pedo enabling person he eventually became). I wonder if KF hasn't looked at what JoPa did in the twilight of his career when he turned over the keys of the offense to the OC and PSU ended up reinventing itself offensively with Spread HD and turned that into a pretty good things for awhile (other than when we shocked them in 2008).

That's the optimistic part of me saying that, anyway. 😀

I don't know, there is another thread about optimism after Hill entered the port hole. Honestly mine went up when they started putting guys into position for success. Tim said that he could not wait to see guys move around a little and figure out what he has and right away he thought why is Wetjen not playing and why is Washington buried in the RB room. Big key to winning is getting as many of your good players on the field at the same time as you can. The players just want to play and win and so they do not really care where they were projected at. So yeah I am seeing things happening that are a little different. I think Lester is in charge of who plays and where they play. Like I said so far I am optimistic, because like I said it is putting people in a position for success and that puts the team in position for success.

I’d have to rewatch, maybe I misunderstood. As another poster said maybe it would be a “see we don’t tamper” type comment. Regardless it seems we get someone, and that someone will be better than deacon hill
No, you're right. I listened to what dipsh*t Kakert said in that podcast, and I stand by what I posted.

Reactions: Gus is dead
I would kick the tires on Gronowski. Maybe wait a day to see what shakes out at Ohio State

I agree with this. Would like to see come in and compete for #2 and be damn prepared based on Cade's knees. THEN compete for #1 the following year. Would like to see at least 2 years remaining.

Brendan wrote that he has 2 years left (this upcoming season will be his 4th year of college).

It's being reported that Tim Lester offered Brendan out of high school when he was at Western Michigan so there's that connection there.

It will be interesting to see if this is one of the QBs Dochterman was talking about yesterday.

I don't know, there is another thread about optimism after Hill entered the port hole. Honestly mine went up when they started putting guys into position for success. Tim said that he could not wait to see guys move around a little and figure out what he has and right away he thought why is Wetjen not playing and why is Washington buried in the RB room. Big key to winning is getting as many of your good players on the field at the same time as you can. The players just want to play and win and so they do not really care where they were projected at. So yeah I am seeing things happening that are a little different. I think Lester is in charge of who plays and where they play. Like I said so far I am optimistic, because like I said it is putting people in a position for success and that puts the team in position for success.
For the last time, Deacon did not enter the port hole. I doubt he would fit through it.

His injury history could be a BIG motivator for a QB to come here...

Brendan wrote that he has 2 years left (this upcoming season will be his 4th year of college).

It's being reported that Tim Lester offered Brendan out of high school when he was at Western Michigan so there's that connection there.

It will be interesting to see if this is one of the QBs Dochterman was talking about yesterday.

Was listening to the voice of college football’s Iowa podcast today and they ranked Sullivan the lowest on the big ten QB scale. I was wondering if he was truly that bad? Didn’t NW light up a team before they played us? Can’t imagine him being ranked lower than Deacon.

Do you ever find yourself wishing there were two boards. One for the perpetually nasty and negative and one for those who actually want to discuss actual football and potential, without the….

KF sucks….

Deacon Hill is fat….

Brian is an idiot…

Wow….what a depressing place.
Where's Tony.

Happy Nodding GIF by Tony Robbins

• Love
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT