ADVERTISEMENT

DOCHTERMAN WITH "THE ATHLETIC" doesn't know anything about the Iowa fanbase

CRWash63

Team MVP
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2018

I am quite optimistic about the new O-line with new faces and muscle. Cooper, Castro, Xavier, New linebackers - D-line - running backs, Cade, etc, Iowa will have a better year and I will move from Hawaii to Iowa City in March to reunite with MY TEAM - **** what the frickin experts say !!!!

Kueter, who is also a world champion wrestler, plans to wrestle for Tom Brands' squad and play linebacker in the black and gold. He will pick the opponents up and throw them down just like Campbell lol

• Haha
Reactions: iowaathletes
I hope to never have “rage” about any sporting team ever… I would consider myself in a bad way as a human being, if that would ever happen!
Yeah these dipshits should go to the children's hospital and walk through. If all you got is to bitch about Brian and Kirk all the time and you don't feel lucky as hell as a human being I don't know what to say. I am an optimist and thankful as hell I and my family are healthy and have the basics to live freely. I can choose to go to games or I could choose to go camping in the fall. Freedom is a fantastic thing. Some use it to complain constantly rather than just moving on to something else that would actually make themselves happy.

Kueter, who is also a world champion wrestler, plans to wrestle for Tom Brands' squad and play linebacker in the black and gold. He will pick the opponents up and throw them down just like Campbell lol
Are there many examples of players competing in both? There's an overlap of seasons but for bulkier guys like linemen or linebackers it certainly seems it would be appealing to do both. Seems like there should be some.

I am quite optimistic about the new O-line with new faces and muscle. Cooper, Castro, Xavier, New linebackers - D-line - running backs, Cade, etc, Iowa will have a better year and I will move from Hawaii to Iowa City in March to reunite with MY TEAM - **** what the frickin experts say !!!!
Is this sarcasm or do you really think the article is off-base?

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Apathy is a real concern IMO.

I might get angry about Iowa Football for a few minutes, but my calmer side prevails and I realize all I can do is watch Iowa Football. There is nothing I can do about it anyway.

So, when KF announced that he was staying the course with the staff, I got angry for about 5 min and then it was over. Unfortunately it was replaced with confusion and disappointment, with quite a bit less excitement about the 2023 football season mixed in. It's not close to apathy yet. But it will be for others.

I have steadfastly defended KF, the person. Even when I disagreed with coaching decisions, I respected KF for the person I thought he was.

That's where the confusion and disappointment come in. This is not a rational decision in today's world. It's either an irrational belief that things are ok, or putting family above Iowa Football - neither are acceptable to me.

Before this I was 50/50 on KF retiring. Now starting to look forward to the day - and I'm not happy about it!

I might get angry about Iowa Football for a few minutes, but my calmer side prevails and I realize all I can do is watch Iowa Football. There is nothing I can do about it anyway.

So, when KF announced that he was staying the course with the staff, I got angry for about 5 min and then it was over. Unfortunately it was replaced with confusion and disappointment, with quite a bit less excitement about the 2023 football season mixed in. It's not close to apathy yet. But it will be for others.

I have steadfastly defended KF, the person. Even when I disagreed with coaching decisions, I respected KF for the person I thought he was.

That's where the confusion and disappointment come in. This is not a rational decision in today's world. It's either an irrational belief that things are ok, or putting family above Iowa Football - neither are acceptable to me.

Before this I was 50/50 on KF retiring. Now starting to look forward to the day - and I'm not happy about it!
I am going to take Kirk at his word on this. I am excited about the fall, because, while stubborn as an old mule, he's also a smart man with a healthy ego, who does not want to be remembered this way. I expect there to be improvement. Great improvement? That's subjective, but improvement enough that it will be noticeable both in what we see and what the data will reflect. But my enthusiasm will be on a short leash. If they struggle out of the blocks on offense in the non-conference games, my attitude will quickly change.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

Kirk has painted himself into the proverbial box. Unless Brian moves on on his own he'll be staying. At this point the only way he'd be moved out would be with a new AD who had some stones.

Kirk has painted himself into the proverbial box. Unless Brian moves on on his own he'll be staying. At this point the only way he'd be moved out would be with a new AD who had some stones.
As I mentioned in another thread on this subject - what "stones" does Barta need to fire BF? What could he possibly be afraid of compared to tons of pi$$ed of Iowans and the very real possibility of a loss in donors and ticket sales?

As I mentioned in another thread on this subject - what "stones" does Barta need to fire BF? What could he possibly be afraid of compared to tons of pi$$ed of Iowans and the very real possibility of a loss in donors and ticket sales?
I am sure he knows very well the temperature of all the donors that matter.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I was also optimistic about the OL heading into this year, feeling it should be much improved over 2021. Without evidence to suggest an improvement coming in 2023, I have to believe in the leopard-spots theory.
Fool me once, shame on you…..,

Reactions: shudaddy
I hope to never have “rage” about any sporting team ever… I would consider myself in a bad way as a human being, if that would ever happen!
I totally agree. I won't have rage but I have been known to yell at the tv and or radio when Iowa's offense runs the same play into the line for net -2 yds when they need a first down.

Make a difference. Join the swarm, make Iowa athletics great again! Buy your favorite players and have the right to bitch when they don’t play up to your standards.

Yeah these dipshits should go to the children's hospital and walk through. If all you got is to bitch about Brian and Kirk all the time and you don't feel lucky as hell as a human being I don't know what to say. I am an optimist and thankful as hell I and my family are healthy and have the basics to live freely. I can choose to go to games or I could choose to go camping in the fall. Freedom is a fantastic thing. Some use it to complain constantly rather than just moving on to something else that would actually make themselves happy.
Good lord this is an epic strawman

Neither Iowa football or basketball are ‘must-watch’ for me. I still care about the programs, the players and hope they do well. That said, the days of getting frustrated and letting their play and results ruin my day are over.

Stadium is gonna be sparse because the slate of games are not as exciting as last years
As long as Iowans can have open containers and food spreads at tailgates during the small window of good weather in the fall I think Kinnick will be mostly full. Kirk and Gary know Iowans generally have nothing better to do and bank on that.

I was there for Kirk's first two seasons and they still pulled 55-60k I think. I'd be shocked if they sold out more than one or two games with that schedule and Brian being back but it will be far from "sparse" imo

I have no idea how this lawsuit will go but if it ends up bad that could be a big variable too as far as people staying home

Actually think dochterman sums up pretty well how lot of fanbase feels. He’s one of if not the best how covers Iowa. Granted on here you see far ends of the spectrum more often with doom and gloom or the never ending ferentz loyalist who see he can do no wrong. But lot more are in the middle. And I think he hit the nail on the head be it ferentz fatigue or whatever one wants to call it but there is a growing sense of apathy among many Iowa fans I know.

Also if you read the articles comments which there a ton of at least 95% agree with him.

It's click bait. period. There will be plenty of fans at Kinnick this year.

Stadium is gonna be sparse because the slate of games are not as exciting as last years
Yeah, it’s become a pattern. With only one rivalry game at Kinnick, and no marquee crossover games, attendance will dip. It’s happened every time it’s happened.

some apathy might be sinking in with brian and Kirk, but I think the schedule will have more to do with a dip in attendance.

Put me down as being part of the ‘entitlement era’
I want to be able to be happy with my life, appreciative of all the good things in my world
AND
Not be happy that BF is coming back as OC. I want to not be happy when KF throws out the 55-3 when hitting 24 points and remind him that 17.7 with the defense scoring 46 points is considerably less than 24, to not be happy when he blames the majority of it on the players and to not be happy with the majority of what Barta said in the presser.

In my ‘dipsh*t’ opinion I should be able to be both. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive. I am also sure the people with real struggles, life and death struggles at the children’s hospital are glad that their fight can be leveraged on an internet message board.

I am going to take Kirk at his word on this. I am excited about the fall, because, while stubborn as an old mule, he's also a smart man with a healthy ego, who does not want to be remembered this way. I expect there to be improvement. Great improvement? That's subjective, but improvement enough that it will be noticeable both in what we see and what the data will reflect. But my enthusiasm will be on a short leash. If they struggle out of the blocks on offense in the non-conference games, my attitude will quickly change.
Here is what I see as the problem. With Cade, an older OL, and an easier schedule, I don't have much doubt that they'll be better in 2023. Lets say they get to 100th. Then some will say "we are on our way". Had we acquired or if we acquire a few more of the highly talented guys, we could probably get to 80th.

But to realistically compete with the best we have to get to 50th. That difference between 80th and 50th will never be acheived by BF. The OC needs to be that difference. Offense isn't just about style and talent. It's about how best to attack the different defensive weakneses, how to adjust or add plays to capitalize on specific player strengths, how to sequence plays to create confusion, ..... In other words, it requires a mental capability that BF doesn't have and will never have.

So that the improvement next year will give the false impression that we are "on our way" and will result in several more years of not fixing the problem.

Here is what I see as the problem. With Cade, an older OL, and an easier schedule, I don't have much doubt that they'll be better in 2023. Lets say they get to 100th. Then some will say "we are on our way". Had we acquired or if we acquire a few more of the highly talented guys, we could probably get to 80th.

But to realistically compete with the best we have to get to 50th. That difference between 80th and 50th will never be acheived by BF. The OC needs to be that difference. Offense isn't just about style and talent. It's about how best to attack the different defensive weakneses, how to adjust or add plays to capitalize on specific player strengths, how to sequence plays to create confusion, ..... In other words, it requires a mental capability that BF doesn't have and will never have.

So that the improvement next year will give the false impression that we are "on our way" and will result in several more years of not fixing the problem.
Great point you spelled it out well and something my friends have been talking about. It’s so bad even improving to 90-100th ranked offense looks like a big jump but it’s not great. However it will allow KF to justify in saying how great of a job and improvement BF did and allows him to keep around. Plus having what looks like another great Phil Parker D. with woods having guys Taylor and stevens and Cooper returning kicks on SP will help us get those Ws again even if offense doesn’t do much again which is KF’s old fall back when justifying keeping any coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT