ADVERTISEMENT

Does any airline suck as much as American?

runkpanole

HR Legend
Nov 17, 2002
They fvcking suck. Flight last week was all screwed up and got us in 12 hours late. Now they expect me to hang around Denver and take the red eye tomorrow night with a 5 year old and an infant.

Thankful for Delta in Atlanta. Buying a ticket is like bending over without lube, but they are running a fantastic airline right now.

Reactions: unIowa
You’ll need to elaborate. All airlines have similar policies and procedures. Chances are, whatever happened, every airline would have handled it the same.
Like schedule routine maintenance in the middle of a scheduled flight? Like me being on the one flight out of Denver going to DFW that has been cancelled? Like the complete lack of sympathy for them wanting me to fly the red eye with an 11 month old and a 5 year old? F them.

They fvcking suck. Flight last week was all screwed up and got us in 12 hours late. Now they expect me to hang around Denver and take the red eye tomorrow night with a 5 year old and an infant.

I had terrible luck with American on Sat. I paid for two first class seats from Tally to Charlotte and then Charlotte to Denver and the only flight to get me in Denver at a decent time left at 5:15 AM meaning I was up at 3 to get on it. We got on the plane and then the plane has an electrical malfunction but the only repair guy American has doesn’t start work until 7 AM. So we just sat in the runway like idiots for an hour and a half and I missed my connecting flight. They eventually got us on a later flight but with only one first class seat and one economy seat.

So not only did I wake up ridiculously early for no reason but they screwed my “surprise” of doing first class tickets with my wife and messed up our vacay itinerary. I had to hightail it out of Denver without doing anything in the city to make up for the lost 3/4s of a day.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I fly all the time, maybe 100-150 total flight per year, and regularly fly American. I have never had a non-weather related issue or delay with them. I can't say the same for Delta/United.

However, I have friends that fly as much as I do, and swear by United or Delta as much as I do American. Which tells me that they are all similar overall and are only better based on your individual experience.

My experience is to avoid United and Delta.

I fly all the time, maybe 100-150 total flight per year, and regularly fly American. I have never had a non-weather related issue or delay with them. I can't say the same for Delta/United.

However, I have friends that fly as much as I do, and swear by United or Delta as much as I do American. Which tells me that they are all similar overall and are only better based on your individual experience.

Shut the **** up. Quit acting ? Poser!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurab...e-best-and-worst-airlines-in-america-in-2019/

2019-airline-performance-v2.jpg

Reactions: mayorjared
JFC. Just got a text that our 125 AM on Monday morning has been cancelled. At this point, I may just have to rent a car and drive across the country.

I've had no issues flying American with connection through DFW. I like the tram setup in DFW. You can get around the airport quickly if necessary for connecting flight.

Reactions: 2bagger22
I fly allegiant every time I fly back home as it’s the only direct flight option, so I’m not sure American could be worse. I could be wrong though.

My last two trips on United have been pretty bad.
Most recently, a flight to Santa Fe was completely cancelled 55 minutes before boarding was supposed to start. Their solution to my problem was to fly me to Denver three hours later, have me sit in DIA for another four hours, and get into Santa Fe 11 hours after my scheduled arrival.
I argued with the ticket agent for half an hour when she finally said to me, "I have other travelers to attend to." To which I replied, "well, thanks to your airline, I have three hours to kill." The look on her face was of total surrender. She ultimately booked me on an American flight direct to Santa Fe.

Most recently, a flight to Santa Fe was completely cancelled 55 minutes before boarding was supposed to start. Their solution to my problem was to fly me to Denver three hours later, have me sit in DIA for another four hours, and get into Santa Fe 11 hours after my scheduled arrival.
I argued with the ticket agent for half an hour when she finally said to me, "I have other travelers to attend to." To which I replied, "well, thanks to your airline, I have three hours to kill." The look on her face was of total surrender. She ultimately booked me on an American flight direct to Santa Fe.
I may have to try this approach. Thanks to American, I now have 2 days to kill.

I may hesitate using ‘to kill’ in an airport. Some jumpy people work there or they may just sick the 50 on you.

Flew American last week. My party was flying back from Cancun last week thru Miami then onto O’hare. On the way to the airport we got a call from American saying they were overbooked and asked if all seven of us would be wiling to change flights. Rather than going to Miami we would now be going through Dfw. Our flight out of Cancun would be at the same time and are arriving flight to ohare would get us there only 30 minutes later than are original flight. They offered us $400 per person so we gladly accepted it. Already booked another flight with them with the $400 I got

I’m thinking of going to the airport and asking for an officer to accompany me to the ticket counter and asking them to place them under arrest for kidnapping. Maybe that will wake them up. There are plenty of Delta flights leaving today, but they refuse to book me on another flight.

Reactions: BelemNole
Can you book a one way ticket home on American? Then fight about the cost once you’re home?

Or start Tweeting your complaint and tag the official American account? That seems to work for some.

Reactions: kkhawk
Thankful for Delta in Atlanta. Buying a ticket is like bending over without lube, but they are running a fantastic airline right now.
My recent experience with Delta might not support your enthusiasm. Domestic airlines suck. SW might be the exception. American, United and Delta domestically have warts...lots of them.
Going across the pond......KLM is king...,Virgin Atlantic (premium economy) is really sweet. Brit Air and Air France are almost pleasurable too. But in the US, air travel just isn’t much fun any more.

Can you book a one way ticket home on American? Then fight about the cost once you’re home?

Or start Tweeting your complaint and tag the official American account? That seems to work for some.
No flights are available on American (or so they say). Delta can do it for about 2K.

We took them on our trip to Hawaii. On the way out the screen for my seat didn't work and after we landed it took 30 min for a ramp to come to us.

I used to hate American and preferred US Air. Now they're together. Can't say I love American...but I live in a major hub, so it's far better to use them than not.

I’m thinking of going to the airport and asking for an officer to accompany me to the ticket counter and asking them to place them under arrest for kidnapping. Maybe that will wake them up. There are plenty of Delta flights leaving today, but they refuse to book me on another flight.

Just buy a damn ticket and fly home. Quit being a baby

Reactions: beanerhawk
I just assume domestic travel sucks and prepare for it. That being said in my last three domestic experiences no troubles on United, American or Delta. Delta probably was the best.

I shouldn’t have to buy another damn ticket. I bought one and they are refusing to accommodate me.

The airline would love to get you out of their hair too. They don’t make money until they fly you from point A to point B.

The contract of carriage governs the terms of your ticket and all it says is they have to get you from A to B. It does not say when they have to do it or within so many hours.

If you are concerned with absolute timeliness of travel while going 5 miles up in the sky, traveling 400-500 mph, over 500+ miles in distance, then I suggest you buy a full “Y” fare ticket which would be accepted universally by most carriers (outside of Southwest).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT