ADVERTISEMENT

Does anybody know M. Wilbon from the PTI show

Hawk68

HR MVP
Oct 1, 2001
has such a woodie on for Fran? A couple of weeks ago, Wilbon called him loutish among other distractors. Today, he cheered the PSU win and made more remarks about Fran. Kornheiser even had to add the disclaimer that those were Wilbon's words and not his. I know Wilbon is a NW grad but there has to be more to it.

Everybody send him some fudge. Maybe that fat prick will eat himself to death.
laugh.r191677.gif

I find myself tuning out all those big time sports analysts and talk show hosts. They all seem like huge ego maniacs to me that think somehow them talking about sports is just as important as the people who actually play sports. Most of them are blow hards and I find less and less time to listen to them anymore.

It's got nothing to do with whether or not they something good about Iowa or not. I've just come to the conclusion after many years of listening that they don't know anymore than the common fans. They just get paid to talk about it. Good for them but it doesn't mean they have a clue what they are talking about.

or how bout we just ignore him. since when has his opinion mattered. We're going to the NCAA tournament, whats Northwestern doing. There's no story if no one cares what the idiot has to say.

One of the terrible things ESPN has done was the show SPORTSREPORTERS. It gave an avenue for writers with who never played and don't have a sniff of athletic the ability to talk bring attention to themselves by saying controversial things.

Now you have shows like PTI and Around The Horn which add to the problem.

The thing that needs to be understood about any National Media personality is that they need listeners/viewers/people talking about them. There are two ways to get this, love, and hate. Love is great but the team/school has to give you a reason to speak well about them, and most teams don't do this consistently. Hate is much easier, it takes very little to hate on something, pick anything and go after it hard. You don't even have to know anything about a team/coach/player to hate, you only need one little negative snippet and you can go after them.

Wilbon probably knows Iowa fans are passionate, and not many have any reason to pay attention to him or talk about him. He can draw Iowa fans (or any school's fans) in with love (like Mark May/Bob Davie years ago) or hate, and chooses hate, because it's easy. He has to know very little, can say a few ignorant things, and it gets him more buzz than money could have bought. You can probably throw Dakich in the same category, though he seems a lot more educated about the teams he covers.

Wilbon is lucky that Kornheiser is his partner. Without Kornheiser, the show would have been cancelled a long time ago. The best shows are when Wilbon is off and is replaced by someone else. For example Bill Simmons and Kornheiser are great together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT